Six-year veteran Derek Downey is the latest signing by the Ultimate Fighting Championship and is slated to make his Octagon debut on Feb. 7 at UFN Fight Night 17 against Nick Catone.
Downey replaces season seven middleweight winner from The Ultimate Fighter Amir Sadollah.
Downey, a native of Orem, Utah, trains under Jeremy Horn and holds a 10-3 record as a pro. He has tried out for the last two seasons of The Ultimate Fighter but now finds himself in the UFC after winning three consecutive fights and four out of his last fight.
He will debut against fellow newcomer Catone, a New Jersey-based fighter who is a former USKBA middleweight champion. Catone is 5-0 after turning pro in 2007 and has competed primarily for Lou Neglia’s Ring of Combat. A standout wrestler, Catone holds notable wins against Eric Tavares and current UFC fighter John Howard.
UFN 17 will emanate from USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Florida. As of now, the complete lineup is as follows:
Televised Main Card –
- Joe Lauzon vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Cain Velasquez vs. Denis Stojnic
- Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer
- Nick Catone vs. Derek Downey
Preliminary Bouts –
- Kurt Pellegrino vs. Rob Emerson
- Jake Rosholt vs. Dan Miller
- Matt Grice vs. George Sotiropoulos
- Rich Clementi vs. Gleison Tibau
- Anthony Johnson vs. Luigi Fioravanti
- Steve Bruno vs. Matt Riddle