Las Vegas – FiveOuncesOfPain.com was on location at the MGM Grand Garden Arena for the UFC 94 weigh-ins for UFC 94.
A huge crowd of approximately 3,500 fans saw UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn meet the mandated welterweight limit of 170 pounds for Saturday’s main event.
Penn, who was depicted on the documentary series UFC Primetime as having taken a vacation during the heart of his training camp, not only made 170 but he ended up weighing in two pounds under at 168 pounds.
Surprisingly, Penn was the crowd favorite at the weigh-ins with many fans having traveled from his native state of Hawaii to see him fight this weekend. Those same fans booed St. Pierre heavily when it was his turn to hit the scale.
The 10 bout card will also pit Karo Parisyan against Dong Hyun Kim in what will mark Parisyan’s first fight since last April. Reports have circulated in the last 24 hours that the UFC lined up a potential replacement out of concern that Parisyan would be forced to withdraw for the fight. However, barring an unforeseen setback, Parisyan vs. Hyun is all set for Saturday after Parisyan weighed in at 170 pounds. His opponent, Kim, weighed in at 171 pounds and is expected to have a sizable reach advantage.
Also expected to have a big reach advantage is season five lightweight champion from The Ultimate Fighter Nate Diaz. Diaz, who is 5-0 since entering the UFC, towered over his opponent, Clay Guida.
Another highlight from the weigh-ins was former PRIDE star Akihiro Gono weighing in at 171 pounds while wearing an afro wig. Right before the pre-fight staredown, Gono removed his wig and offered it to Fitch in an act of goodwill. Fitch played right along and adorned the afro while photographers took pictures of the two.
Complete weigh-in results for UFC 94 are as follows:
Main Event –
- UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (170) vs. UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn (168) in a 170-pound title bout
Televised Main Card –
- Light Heavyweight (205 lbs.): Lyoto Machida (206) vs. Thiago Silva (206)
- Light Heavyweight (205 lbs.): Stephan Bonnar (206) vs. Jon Jones (206)
- Lightweight (155 lbs.): Nate Diaz (156) vs. Clay Guida (156)
- Welterweight (170 lbs.): Karo Parisyan (170) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (171)
Non-televised Preliminary Card –
- Welterweight (170 lbs.): Jon Fitch (171) vs. Akihiro Gono (171) w/fabulous Afro
- Lightweight (155 lbs.): Manny Gamburyan (155) vs. Thiago Tavares (155)
- Welterweight (170 lbs.): Chris Wilson (170) vs. John Howard (171)
- Light Heavyweight (205 lbs.): Jake O’Brien (205) vs. Christian Wellisch (206)
- Welterweight (170 lbs.): Matt Arroyo (171) vs. Daniel Cramer (171)