twitter google

Christian Wellisch and Eddie Sanchez added to list of recent UFC cuts

After Zuffa closed down the welterweight division in the WEC and transferred the top fighters over to the UFC, UFC Vice President of Talent Relations Joe Silva was left with a roster of over 200 fighters heading into this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 17.

In order to alleviate the bloated roster, up to 50 fighters could be cut over the course of the next several months. FiveOuncesOfPain.com was the first to report that the UFC made a series of cuts over the weekend that included lightweight Rich Clementi, welterweight Luigi Fioravanti, and middleweight Derek Downey.

Five Ounces of Pain has also learned that American Kickboxing Academy light heavyweight Christian Wellisch and heavyweight Eddie Sanchez can now be added to the list as well.

Wellisch was recently cut in response to his split decision loss against Jake O’Brien nearly two weeks ago at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. Even though the bout marked Wellisch’s first at light heavyweight, the defeat served as his second consecutive loss inside of the Octagon.

It is believed that Sanchez was cut earlier this year in response to his unanimous decision loss to Justin McCully during the “UFC Fight for the Troops” event this past December in Fayetteville, North Carolina. The loss to McCully marked two consecutive defeats for Sanchez after having previously lost at UFC 85 this past June via TKO to Antoni Hardonk.

7 COMMENTS
  • GetItOn says:

    I certainly don’t have any problem with these losses. Sad for Rich and Luigi but hey….. you gotta continue to get better. Eddie Sanchez, although a cool guy in person, not so exciting of a fighter.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • AlwaysRelaxing24 says:

    Good cuts.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

  • Meers311 says:

    Not a big surprise with those two. The addition of the WEC 170lbs. division to the roster certainly was going to cause this, along with all the other recent additions they have made, signing guys like crazy. Unfortunately for Luigi and Rich the depth at their weight class is very good and they have become expendable. Probably can make some decent money outside the UFC though.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • meatloaf says:

    @ AlwaysRelaxing24 “Good cuts”
    lol, I’m glad you’re happy these guys are gone.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • goodguy says:

    I really hate to see Luigi go, but he didn’t last long enough against Johnson to show that cutting him would be a mistake. I really hope that he has a great record outside of the octagon, so that I can see an improved Luigi inside of it again.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • kidneybeans says:

    I don’t like anyone losing their job, given that it has happened to people I know recently, but I can’t argue with any of those cuts. At least those guys will be able to fight somewhere, the rest of us are pretty much out of luck as far as work goes.

    On a sidenote I have to say this site registration business that you guys just started has only served to eliminate most people from making comments. I will still come to the site because I like the layout but I would think your sponsors can’t be too happy about the traffic decrease. Just wondering if your goal was to discourage people from coming here or if that was an unintended side effect from some other purpose you had in mind.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Brandomania says:

    I guess the new rule is “Two and your out”. This is a business so I can understand Zuffa’s motivation but it does not give a fighter many chances not to shine.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ