Last night at the “Wargods: Valentine’s Eve Massacre“ card two of MMA’s biggest names from the 90’s ended their losing streaks.
The event which was held at the Selland Arena in Fresno California was marred by last minute changes to the card and some questionable judging.
Ken Shamrock and David “Tank” Abbott two fighters who are well past their prime both won their bouts in convincing fashion.
Shamrock who was riding a five fight losing streak that dates back to 2004 took on the massive Ross Clifton in the night’s main event. Clifton who was sporting an unimpressive 6-9 record weighed in at over 350 lbs.
Shamrock put any questions on who the better man was to rest right away. He dropped Clifton with a right hand early on in the first round. Shamrock took advantage of Clifton’s less than stellar ground work and unleashed some punches and elbows before securing an armbar which caused Clifton to tap out.
Immediately following the victory Shamrock laid out a challenge to Abbott who earlier in the night ended his own four fight losing streak against Mike “The Rhino” Bourke (8-12-1). The pair winded almost immediately and wound in the clinch. Abbott landed two punches to what appeared to catch Bourke on the back of the head. Bourke fell to the canvas and no fouls were called ending the fight essentially before it started.
Abbott is now 10-14 has won only 2 of his past 10 fights while Bourke is an equally unimpressive 1-8 in his past nine fights.
It looks like we will be subject to a Abbott-Shamrock bout sometime in April which Shamrock said would be his last.
Wesley “Cabbage” Correira, Tonya Evinger, and Kyacey Uscola were among the fighters who had their bouts scratched at the last minute. By the time it was all said and done only 8 of the 12 bouts originally announced had taken place.
- Ken Shamrock def. Ross Clifton via submission (arm bar) — Round 1
- Mike Moreno def. Gary Padilla via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- David “Tank” Abbott def. Mike Bourke via knockout (punches) — Round 1
- Rick Reeves def. Nathan James via submission (rear-naked choke) — Round 3
- Isaac De Jesus def. Ashe Bowman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josh Haynes def. Refael Del Real via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Zolia Frausto def. Karina Hallinan via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ron Kessler def. Darren Freeman via split decision (27-30, 30-27, 29-28)