UFC President clarifies his outlook on competition

UFC President Dana White was a recent guest on the CBS Radio nationally syndicated show “MMAsh,” where his discussed a number of pressing topics.

One of the main issues White was asked to address by host “Carmichael Dave” was Strikeforce’s recent acquisition of ProElite’s assets and subsequent broadcast deal with Showtime.

Typically not shy about taking an opportunity to rip his competition, White was complementary towards Strikeforce and clarified his position about why he can be so negative when it comes to companies competing in the same space as the UFC.

“I’ve never said anything bad about (Strikeforce Founder and CEO) Scott Coker,” White began to respond. “I think he’s a great guy and I’ve got nothing against him at all.”

White went on to add that despite what critics say, he’s not anti-competition, so long as the competition is respectful of the UFC and the sport of MMA.

“Everybody thinks I’m anti-competition — I’m anti-stupid competition, okay?” said White. “Plus, the other thing is that if you pick a fight with me, we’re gonna fight. These other guys that come out that don’t know me (and) don’t know anything about our business and start talking smack about the UFC, ‘We’re going to do it better than they did. We’re going to take care of the fighters and treat them (better).’

“Once you start that then now you’ve picked a fight. And now we’re going to fight. And we’re going to fight until someone wins and until someone loses. And that’s the way I work and Scott Coker has never said anything bad about me or my business and I’ve never said anything bad about him. I think he’s a good guy.”

White then reaffirmed that much of his animosity towards his competition has to do with the fact that it makes his efforts to advance the sport that much tougher.

“… When people do stupid things, it hurts the entire sport,” White stated. “You know the hard part is that we’re the ones out there doing all of this work and getting all of this good stuff done… And all it takes is one moron to put on some goofy show and believe me things can turn around real quick. That is the reason why I am always flipping out about all of the other idiots that get involved in the sport. It’s not because I’m anti-competition, I’m not anti-competition at all.”

• kidneybeans says:

“… When people do stupid things, it hurts the entire sport”

hmmm I wonder why Junie Browning doesn’t qualify for that category, or any of the other stupid crap that goes on during TUF.

I love MMA, and the UFC is the biggest promotion with the best fighters. But that doesn’t mean they don’t do just as much harm to the sport as anyone else. Dana’s tough guy mentality is percisely the reason many people shy away from the sport. He perpetuates the myth that anyone who like a combat sport like MMA, is a trash-talking thug who resorts to fighting in or out of the cage to solve any problem. And to be fair we have plenty of those guys among our ranks; but the reality is they are neither a true representation of what the sport is about, nor the best atheletes most of the time. Dana is very effective as a businessman but there is no good reason he should be the face of the company, or the sport in general for that matter.

• GetItOn says:

kdneybeans – Who should be the face of the UFC or the sport?

• s00nertp says:

I do agree with Dana in that I only want there to be companies in the business who are trying to promote MMA as a legit sport.

Every sport struggles with this. For example: Barry Bonds is popular, yet everyone is aware of the steroids.

Bad for the sport yes, but fans dont seem to care as much as they thought.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

IMO,there is no such thing as competition for the UFC.
    The other organizations are better,worse,and different in there own ways,but they are certainly not competition.

It’s generally the dickheads that try to convince us that they are better than the UFC than run into problems.

One good sign you might be doing well?
    When “UFC” is not mentioned during your entire broadcast.

• kidneybeans says:

kdneybeans – Who should be the face of the UFC or the sport

Answer: Anyone who doesn’t make us all look like fools. Perhaps a fighter, or Doctor B. from mma junkie. Someone who is both very knowledgable and portrays mma in a positive light.

• Angry Mike says:

Based upon the previous criteria–not make “us” look like fools– I nominate myself as the new face of MMA. And now I’d like to thank all the little people who made this possible. I don’t have the time or the interest to name all of you; its’ sufficient to say that you know who you are.

Some of you are worried that the face of MMA might make you look like a fool. You needn’t worry because many of you have already accomplished that without any help from anybody.

In closing, I’d like to say that MMA is great (positive light), and I know quite a bit about it (knowledge). Don’t act like a fool. (teaching)

• Dahogan11 says:

I totally agree with Dana White. Legitimate competition is only better for the sport as a whole. But when shady promotions start making it more of a circus by throwing people out there that don’t belong. That’s when the sport looks like, “human cock fighting”, and thats when the legitimacy of the sport as a whole is questioned.

• kidneybeans says:

Angry Mike……..I’m not sure if that was a jab at me or an attempt at humor given it was complete nonsense, but I think it’s safe to say that it was a failure. If you were trying to be clever you should probably keep trying.

As far as me looking like a fool goes I’ll never deny my foolish tendencies, I just don’t need anyone adding to that perception by representing the sport I love like a total fuckstain.