twitter google

Injury to Frank Mir forces cancellation of UFC 98 rematch vs. Brock Lesnar

A planned rematch between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir for UFC 98 on May 23 that would have unified Lesnar’s UFC heavyweight title and Mir’s interim UFC heavyweight has been canceled.

Multiple sources have confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the UFC was recently informed by Mir’s camp that he was forced to withdraw due to injury. Five Ounces of Pain originally had been informed that Mir had suffered a back injury but MMAWeekly.com has since reported that Mir actually suffered a knee injury and has already undergone surgery.

According to MMA Weekly’s report, the surgery will sideline Mir for the next four-to-six weeks.

There is no word as to whether Lesnar will remain on the card against a new opponent or if he will be taken off the card entirely.

The UFC had just officially announced Lesnar vs. Mir II via its website earlier this week. The much-anticipated rematch had been anticipated to draw a large buyrate on pay-per-view.

The first meeting at between Lesnar and Mir took place at UFC 81 in February of 2008 and ended at 1:30 of round 1 after Lesnar was caught in a kneebar by Mir. Competing in just his second pro fight, the former NCAA heavyweight champion was forced to tap despite the fact that he had knocked Mir down and was reigning down punches on him just prior to getting trapped in the submission hold.

The two had been slated to fight each again other after both secured wins in the first round of a heavyweight title unification tournament. However, a Lesnar vs. Mir rematch in the finals of the tournament had been considered an improbability going in.

But the odds of a second fight between the two changed greatly after Lesnar won the heavyweight title from defending champion Randy Couture this past November at UFC 91. Couture, fighting for the first time after a 15 month layoff was TKO’d by the former WWE superstar at 3:07 of round 2.

The rematch between Lesnar and Mir became a reality following Mir’s upset victory over defending interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 this past December. Displaying improved standup, Mir was able to TKO the former PRIDE heavyweight champion at 1:54 of round 2.

20 COMMENTS
  • kidneybeans says:

    they better have Brock fight someone or this card isn’t going to be very good.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • undrafted says:

    Will they create an interim, interim champ if Mir can’t defend his belt?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Bryan Levick says:

    I was really looking forward to this rematch. I hope Mir is able to recover quickly. Maybe he can fight Lesnar at 100 if not then Lesnar needs to stay busy and fight someone at 98.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Rich B says:

    Can they move GSP – Alves to 98 and put Mir – Lesnar onto 100?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • mo dogg says:

    Great News (Sorry Frank, hope you heal well)!! I read on another MMA site a quote from Dana that said the UFC will be coming to Philly before the end of the year (THANK GOD!!!!!!!) and I think a Lesnar-Mir fight for that card would be great. Figure the card would have to occur in October, maybe November, should be time for Frank to heal and be ready

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • miss_mma says:

    i hope its not mirs bad leg…… but who are they going give brock now??? kongo isnt that appealing.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • screwface says:

    why not feed him nog.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

  • Angry Mike says:

    Damn it. I was really looking forward to this one. Hope Frank heals up.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Bryan Levick says:

    Nog is fighting Couture at UFC 101 and how would you consider that feeding him Nog anyway? Nog has one bad night and everyone is writing him off.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Jak says:

    Well if this turns out to be true, they should give Lesnar somebody. It will already have been 6 months since the current HW champ has fought, and that is already kind of crap.

    Lesnar is a champ, give him Gonzaga/Carwin, Kongo, Nog, bring in Overeem, or whoever, if he’s good enough, he will beat them and then he can fight Mir when Mir is ready.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Jak says:

    *edit* i realize those guys have fights, but the UFC could rearrange them or postpone the Couture/Nog fight…

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Nate_Fury says:

    First I read this Lesnar vs. Mir fight was off and then I read it was on, so im a bit confussed and dissapointed at the same time. I was and am really looking forward to this fight and hope it still indeed on. If for some reason it is not I would think the UFC should consider having either Junior Dos Santos or Cheick Kongo step up and fight Lesnar for the belt. Kongo of course would have to be pulled from his UFC 97 bout with Antoni Hardonk. Junior Dos Santos having just fought Feb 21, being ready to fight in May would be the question there for him. I really hope Mir is ready to go for UFC 98 though.

    If the UFC decieded the best thing to do was to just push the fight back a few months, then the question is what fight would they add to UFC 98 to headline? If this was the case only a few possabilities come to mind. Maybe a fight to crown an UFC Interim Lightweight Champion between Kenny Florian and perhaps Diego Sanchez. Of course Sanchez just fought at UFC 95, so would he be ready in time and he would have to be pulled from his fight at TUF 9 with Clay Guida. On the other hand, the other option I came up with was a main event swap between UFC 98 and UFC 100. Swapping GSP vs. Thiago Alves’s UFC Welterweight Championship fight with Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, so Mir has a few more months to recover.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • TerribleT says:

    Feed Nog to Lesnar?:-) What a joke! It would be the other way around!Feed Lesnar to Nog! Nog would sub him in the 1st rd!!!!!!!

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • dpk says:

    Lesnar v Fedor… yeah I wish. More likely Lesnar against the Carwin/Gonzaga winner.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • cagefan says:

    what about a rematch between Brock and Randy?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    Why wait so long to announce the cancellation? If Mir has already gone under the knife, the injury obviously didn’t happen yesterday. Surgery is always the last resort, so it would’ve taken a bit of time to diagnose the injury and then get the surgery coordinated.

    So anyway, the story finally breaks the day after tickets went on sale for the event. I’m not sayin, I’m just sayin.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    And when asked about this today Dana claims he didn’t even know of any injury to Mir. So we’re to believe that Mir injured himself during training, enough time passed for him to go under the knife, and so while Mir’s camp and others like the Five Ounces of Pain staff knew of/found out about the injury, Mr. Dana White was in the dark the whole time?

    OK.

    White’s comment today: “If he were hurt and the fight was off, I’d assume I would know.”

    Gee, ya think so?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Sam Caplan says:

    Richard:

    Straight from the horse’s mouth:

    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/03/07/frank-mir-confirms-rematch-with-brock-lesnar-postponed/

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    So back to my original question, why are Dana & the UFC waiting so long to announce the cancellation of this much-anticipated bout? Hell, Dana is taking it one step further by denying he even knew Mir suffered an injury… why is Dana playing dumb about the whole thing? Does anyone actually believe that?

    My best guess is that Dana didn’t want to make the disappointing announcement the same week tickets go on sale for the UFC 98 event. So he’s trying to buy some time until the UFC can pull together a backup plan that’ll appease the fans. Hell, maybe he actually entertained the idea that Mir’s knee scope was minor enough that he’d be able to recover in time to be in the Octagon come May. Trying to keep it under wraps is probably a good idea from Dana and the UFC’s standpoint, but at the same time it’s pretty disingenuous to the fans.

    Whatever the case, nice work breaking the story yesterday, Sam. It was kind of amusing reading the Yahoo article claiming the fight was “still on” simply because the official announcement hadn’t been made… and basically calling the FiveOuncesofPain report into question (but hey, a plug’s a plug right?). I don’t know if Kevin Iole was actually buying into Dana’s comments or what… “Injury? What injury? Nah, man, the fight is still on as far as I know.” Heh…OK, Dana.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • cocoonofhorror says:

    HoohaMoron was sucking off a tranny and suffered this same injury, and he was blowing pre-teens in 3 weeks.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.