twitter google

Frank Mir confirms rematch with Brock Lesnar postponed

Several reports have been published recently attributing quotes to UFC President Dana White claiming that a planned UFC 98 main event on May 23 between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and interim UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir was “still on.”

In a report by Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, a quote is attributed to White in which the UFC President denied any knowledge of a Mir injury.

“UFC president Dana White said after the weigh-in for UFC 96 at the Nationwide Arena that he knew nothing of an injury by Mir,” wrote Iole, who later reported in his story that sources close to Mir had confirmed that the interim heavyweight champion underwent knee surgery last week.

The stories were issued in response to FiveOuncesOfPain.com’s exclusive report earlier in the day revealing that Mir had sustained a recent injury and that the planned Lesnar vs. Mir II main event had been scrapped for the card.

Despite White’s refusal to go on the record and officially announce that the bout was off for the originally scheduled date, Five Ounces of Pain stuck by its story, as sources had revealed that Mir’s camp informed the UFC on Thursday that he had been forced to withdraw and that UFC officials informed several fighters on location in Columbus, Ohio for UFC 96 of the new development.

While the UFC is withholding an official announcement, Mir himself has now publicly confirmed that the match will not be happening as scheduled and that it will have to be rescheduled.

During a bodybuilding webcast conducted at a fit expo in the Columbus area held in conjunction with this weekend’s “Arnold Classic,” Mir responded to a question about the date of the fight at the 1:26 mark by saying, “Hopefully (it will take place) the summertime. It was May 23 but I needed to get a scope done to my knee so I got it done immediately last week. It would be rushing it to try and fight that soon because I can’t really train for four to six weeks as far as sparring and wrestling and the real forms of training. Obviously I can hit the treadmill but that’s usually not a good idea to be getting in shape for a fight on a treadmill.”

Sources also informed Five Ounces of Pain that while the UFC has yet to make a public announcement regarding the cancellation of Lesnar vs. Mir II at UFC 98, the company is already exploring options for a replacement main event. One scenario believed to be under consideration is moving Rashad Evans’ first defense of his UFC light heavyweight title that had been planned for UFC 100 on July 12.

2 COMMENTS
  • Richard Stabone says:

    When asked yesterday about Mir’s injury and the report that the fight was off, Dana had this to say:

    “I’m not too worried about it now. If that were the situation, I’d know about it. I honestly don’t know right now.”

    Sure, Dana.

    So will there be some big announcement during tonight’s UFC event of the cancellation and replacement bout? The injury puts them in a bit of a tricky spot with the event less than 3 months away, and Dana’s lies are making the situation that much stickier. They’ve gotta act, and act fast.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • mmaking says:

    I was so hoping to see this fight. Not because I think its a top notch match up, but because Mir got so lucky in the first match. If you remember the first two minutes, Lesnar was dominating Mir. The second fight will be the same, this time around Mir is going to tap out from too much of Lesnars donky kong GNP!

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ