ATT Bands Together to Help 10-Year Old Boy with Cancer

When I first found out about a young boy in my area having cancer my first thought were of my own children and thanking God for their well being. Immediately after that I began to think about all of the pain that the parents are having to deal with. Being a father myself I can’t begin to imagine having to watch my son deal with this dreaded disease. We live in a small town but it is a community that has a huge heart and so many people have banded together to help this family during such a difficult time. I became aware of Christian Koehler and his fight with cancer when my 7 year old daughter Rylee brought home a flyer from school one day in March. There were two papers one being an outline of a child’s hand and the other telling the story of Christian’s battle with cancer and asking for just $1 to help the family defray the medical bills associated with battling this disease.

I wanted to do more, I am a firm believer in karma and I truly believe that God forbid something happened to one of my children others would be there to help me. That is not the only reason I wanted to help, I truly hate to see children suffer. I myself spent the first three years of my life in and out of hospitals having surgery after surgery to battle a heart condition I was born with. To this day I do not know how my parents dealt with all the stress of having to raise four other children while spending the majority of their time in the hospital with me. Anyway, being a journalist has given me the ability to reach so many people that I normally would never have the opportunity to reach. Writing for FiveOuncesOfPain.com allows me so much exposure to a great community of MMA fans, fighters, trainers and other writers.

Richie Guerriero is the general manager at the American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Florida. He has been very generous to me setting up interviews with such fighters as WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown and UFC middleweight Denis Kang. Richie has been awesome and all I did was send an email asking for an interview. I decided to contact him and tell him about Christian’s plight. Without a moment’s hesitation he asked what he could do to help and sometime this week I will be receiving signed gloves from Mike Brown and Thiago Alves that I will be able to auction off and then donate the money to the Koehler family. Another man I have to give credit to is Eddie “Primo” Miranda who has gotten everything together and offered up some kind words for the family.

Both Richie Guerriero and Eddie Miranda have both expressed a sincere desire to help and have made it known that it was their pleasure and that if there was anything else they could do to please let them know. When I asked Richie to make a brief statement here is what he had to say: “We were all saddened to hear about this boys story. I hope in some small way we were able to help out. Our prayers and thoughts are with the young boy and his family during this trying time.” Eddie Miranda said “Please let the family know that we are hoping for the best and that if there is anything else we can do please let us know.” While it may not seem like a lot to some people I find it amazing that these fighters and trainers have gone out of their way to help someone they have never met. The two fighters that signed the gloves to be auctioned off are training for the biggest fights of their careers as Alves will be fighting Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100 in July for the UFC welterweight title and Brown will be defending his title from the man he took it from, Urijah Faber on June 7th.

I reached out to people locally and that I used to work with and most people never responded to my request for help, but these guys did, they did it without hesitation, without asking questions and they did it for unselfish reasons. They didn’t know I would be writing this story, all they wanted to do was help this family. I hope this story reaches other people who may have sick child or maybe it will reach someone looking to help out. One thing I am hoping is that it finds its way into the hands of some NY politicians who have repeatedly shot down legislation calling for MMA to be sanctioned in NY. Maybe they are still of the belief that these fighters are animals and that the sport is to gruesome. Take another look please and you will realize that these athletes are some of the most respectful, caring human beings that are alive today. They have hearts and souls and most of all humility. It seems to me that they are willing to do more for a family they have never met than most other people would even dream of doing.

To bid on the autographed gloves from two of mixed martial arts biggest stars for an extremely worthy cause you can visit the following links:

Thiago Alves Signed Glove:

Mike Brown Signed Glove:

• Austin says:

I bid 75$ on Alves’. Someone beat me now.

• ultmma says:

great story hope good karma comes to all that help, support and pray for Christian

my prayers go out to Christian

• ultmma says:

my prayers go out to Christian

• kidneybeans says:

Awesome story man, I will be bidding on both despite having no desire for autographed gloves.

• kidneybeans says:

ok so I can only afford to bid on the Mike Brown gloves but at least I’m trying.

• Bryan Levick says:

Hey its the thought that counts and it is greatly appreciated that you would even bid on one of the gloves. Thanks for reading the story as well.

• uwake says:

Levick, I don’t care about the gloves but is there another way to help the kid out? Can you either update the post with some info or email me at otep555@yahoo.com? Thanks.

• Angry Mike says:

I’ve got a bid in, too. I hope the kid’s hanging in there, but it’s usually tougher on the parents. Best wishes all around.

• Grappo says:

Very cool thing to do, and much respect for everyone involved. uwake has got the right idea… maybe a Paypal address is in order where folks can send donations, finances permitting.

lol @ the smurfs tees :D

• Bryan Levick says:

To all of you thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. I will look into seeing if we can set-up a paypal account for those of you just looking to make a donation. I should have an answer for you tomorrow.

Grappo: I grew up a huge fan of the smurfs so I bought myself a Papa Smurf plush doll like one that my father bought me for Xmas one year and I bought my wife and daughter the t-shirts, I bought my son a Smurf collectible car that he already broke!

• wardog says:

Bryan good job! Got my bid’s in. And if there is a special account let me know.

• JBAR says:

May the Lord bless you all. As the father of a childhood cancer patient I can tell you that your contributions are much more than just money. When you have a child with cancer the entire world fades away because all of your focus is on your child. Things like this remind you that there is still a world of good people out there and that there is still life beyond cancer.

Bryan,
    If ATT want’s a way to get involved with children facing life threatening illnesses you should have them get in touch with believe in tomorrow. If you need any info or other ideas send me an e-mail. jbar2002@sbcglobal.net

• Bryan Levick says:

Once again a big thanks to all of you. I have been unableto find out if there is a paypal account set up but if any of you wish to donate please email me at bryanlevick@gmail.com.

Here are the other two links for the two other gloves, I didn’t realize I had to list them seperately.

• wardog says:

Come on people beat my first Thiago bid! I am going after the second Brownie glove tonight (girlfriend has the Ebay account). If I get both of these gloves I would be shocked!