WAMMA Heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko submitted WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki with an achilles lock in a “special super exhibition” match that took place at Wednesday’s “M-1 Challenge” event.
The most recent edition of the M-1 Challenge took place at the Differ Ariake Arena in Tokyo, Japan and featured a total of nineteen action packed bouts in the ongoing world mixed martial arts tournament.
Teams from France, Spain, Japan and England all took place in tournament competition during the event. Most notably, Team USA West was able to annihilate their competition, South Korea, with a score of 5-0.
Emelianenko had his way with Aoki for the bulk of the exhibition grappling match-up, throwing the smaller Japanese opponent around the ring like a rag doll with several Sambo throws. At one point during the contest Aoki attempted a flying armbar on the much larger heavyweight champion and eventually removed his gi in good fun. Ultimately Fedor was able to overpower Aoki with a tight achilles lock to force the submission just three minutes into the match-up.
A full list of the results for the event are listed below:
1. Featherweight - Tomoaki Ueyama def. Takayuki Hosakawa via TKO (punches) at 2:51 of round 1.
Team France vs. Team Spain -
2. Lightweight - Jose Luiz Zapater Aguirre (Spain) def. Makhtar Gueye (France) via DQ (illegal kick) at 1:21 of round 3.
3. Welterweight – Abner Lloveras (Spain) def. Gael Grimaud (France) via three-round split decision.
4. Middleweight - Christophe Dafreville (France) def. Rayco “Kakin” Romero Silva (Spain) via submission (Anaconda choke) at 2:48 of round 1.
5. Light Heavyweight – Christian Mpumbu (France) def. Enoc Solbes (Spain) via submission (armbar) at 4:59 of round 1.
6. Heavyweight - Rogent Lloret (Spain) def. Soufian Elgarne (France) via submission (Anaconda choke) at 2:44 of round 1
Spain Defeats France via 3-2 score
7. Lightweight - Kosuke Umeda def. Muneyuki Sato via unanimous decision.
USA West vs. South Korea (best-of-five series) -
8. Lightweight- David Jansen (USA West) def. Yui Chul Nam (S. Korea) via unanimous decision.
9. Welterweight- Fabio Negao (USA West) def. Myung Ho Bae (S. Korea) via majority decision.
10. Middleweight- Giva Santana (USA West) def. Min Suk Heo (S. Korea) via submission (armbar) at 4:05 of round 1.
11. Light Heavyweight - Raphael Davis (USA West) def. Jae Young Kim (S. Korea) via TKO (punches) at 3:45 of round 2.
12. Heavyweight – Shane Del Rosario (USA West) def. Doo Hee Lee (S. Korea/103 kg) via KO (head kick) at 2:27 of round 1.
USA West Defeats South Korea via 5-0 score
13. Middleweight – Karl Amoussou (France) def. Kazuhiro Hamanaka (Japan) via KO (flying knee) at 0:23 of round 1.
Special Super Exhibition -
14. Fedor Emelianenko (Russia) vs. Shinya Aoki (Japan): Match was conducted as a sparring exhibition with no scoring.
Japan vs. England (best-of-five series) -
15. Lightweight - Luiz Andrada (Japan) def. Ian Butlin (England) via submission (armbar) at 3:20 of round 1.
16. Welterweight – Simon Phillips (England) def. Hidehiko Hasgawa (Japan) via KO at 0:20 of round 1.
17. Middleweight – Matt Thorpe (England) def. Yusuke Masuda (Japan) via submission (rear naked choke) at 1:30 of round 2.
18. Light Heavyweight – Tom Blackledge (England) def. Tatsuya Mizuno (Japan) via submission (rear naked choke) at 3:22 of round 1.
19. Heavyweight – Rob Broughton (England) def. Yusuke Kawaguchi (Japan) via unanimous decision.