As usual, there was no shortage of decisive finishes at last night’s M-1 Challenge. Men were choked to the brink of unconsciousness and flying knees were flying as eleven of the evening’s fifteen scheduled team challenge bouts ended before the final bell.
Back and forth see-saw battles, spectacular submissions and dazzling knockouts, it seems as if there is always something for everyone at M-1 Challenge events that consistently feature a minimum of fifteen bouts between some of the best regional competition the globe has to offer.
After being edged out by a score of 3-2 against Team USA West in their opening round, Team Brazil bounced back strong as they dominated Team Imperial with a perfect shutout, five wins, no losses.
Brazil’s welterweight Eduardo Pamplona garnered “Fight of the Night” honors as he scored a majority decision over the well seasoned Erik Oganov in a wild back and forth battle that had the crowd rising to their feet on several occasions.
Heavyweight Joaquim Ferreira, light heavyweight Alexander Machado, middleweight Leandro Silva, and lightweight Hacran Dias rounded out the rest of the Brazilians responsible for the trouncing of Team Imperial.
Team Bulgaria pulled off quite the upset as they toppled the favored Team Benelux with a score of 3-2 while Team Russian Legion made it look easy as they bested Team Germany with a score of 4-1 with all four victories coming by either submission, TKO or knockout.
A full list of results from last evening’s team challenges are listed below:
Team Challenge Number One: Bulgaria vs. Benelux -
1. Lightweight (154 lbs./-70 kg): Yanko Yanev (Bulgaria) def. Danny van Bergen (Benelux) via submission (armbar) at 2:23 of round 1
2. Welterweight (167.2 lbs./-76 kg): Raymond Jarman (Benelux) def. Ivan Ivanov (Bulgaria) via TKO (flying knee) at 0:35 of round 1
3. Middleweight (184.8 lbs./-84 kg): Jordan Radev (Bulgaria) def. Danny Smit (Benelux) via unanimous decision
4. Light Heavyweight (204.6 lbs./-93 kg): Emil Samoilov (Bulgaria) def. Jason Jones (Benelux) via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) at 2:09 of round 1
5. Heavyweight: (204.7 lbs.-plus/+93 kg): Jessie Gibbs (Benelux) def. Nikola Dipchkov (Bulgaria) submission (strikes) at 1:37 of round 1
Bulgaria defeats Benelux 3-2
Team Challenge Number Two: Russia Legion vs. Germany -
6. Lightweight (154 lbs./-70 kg): Yura Ivlev (Legion) def. Franco de Leonardis (Germany) via TKO (strikes) at 2:14 of round 2
7. Welterweight (167.2 lbs./-76 kg): Magomed Shihshabekov (Legion) def. Sven Heising (Germany) via knockout (strikes) at 4:27 of round 1
8. Middleweight (184.8 lbs./-84 kg): Gregor Herb (Germany) def. Sergey Kornev (Legion) via submission (armbar) at 4:32 of round 1
9. Light Heavyweight (204.6 lbs./-93 kg): Gadzimyrat Omarov (Legion) def. Ismail Centinkaya (Germany) via submission (strikes) at 1:09 of round 1
10. Heavyweight: (204.7 lbs.-plus/+93 kg): Akhmed Sultanov (Legion) def. Lars Klug (Germany) via submission (armbar) at 1:21 of round 1
Russia Legion defeats Germany 4-1
Team Challenge Number Three: Brazil vs. Team Imperial -
11. Lightweight (154 lbs./-70 kg): Hacran Dias (Brazil) def. Amirkhan Mazikhov (Imperial) via submission (rear naked choke) at 3:58 of round 1
12. Welterweight (167.2 lbs./-76 kg): Eduardo Pamplona def. Erik Oganov (Imperial) via majority decision
13. Middleweight (184.8 lbs./-84 kg): Leandro Silva (Brazil) def. Dmitry Samoilov (Imperial) via three-round unanimous decision
14. Light Heavyweight (204.6 lbs./-93 kg): Alexander Machado (Brazil) def. Mikhail Zayats (Imperial) via three round unanimous decision
15. Heavyweight: (204.7 lbs.-plus/+93 kg): Joaquim Ferreira (Brazil) def. Maksim Grishin (Imperial) via submission (North-South Choke) at 3:57 of round 1
Brazil defeats Imperial Team 5-0