Lyoto Machida wants to test himself against Brock Lesnar

While Lyoto Machida is admittedly focused on his upcoming UFC light heavyweight championship match-up with Rashad Evans, and deservedly so, he recently revealed that a move up to the heavyweight division isn’t that far out of the picture.

If Machida wants to eventually challenge someone like Lesnar he’s going to have to get past Evans first, something he is fully aware of.

“I don’t think about a fight at the heavyweight division, but I think about a challenge, maybe against the heavyweight champion,” revealed Machida in an interview with Tatame.com.

“My focus, for sure, is on my division now, later is later.”

Perhaps even more surprising is the man who the Brazilian may have his sights set on if he does eventually decide to do the big boy dance with the really big boys. A man who would naturally outweigh him by a minimum of fifty solid pounds.

“Maybe a fight against Brock Lesnar,” Machida was quoted as saying. “He’s a huge guy and has showed himself very aggressive and strong. Who knows if one day we can fight. I respect him as a fighter, he’s very strong, but I’m professional and I’d like to test myself”.

• platypus says:

thats a true martial artist right there. but i dont think he will get past evans

• s00nertp says:

Well if he wants to test himself, the 205 division is the place to be. There isnt a more competitive weight class out there.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Machida, and hopefully he can get by evans, which is no easy task. Evans is such a step up from thiago silva.

• Jak says:

It’s cool when a guy admits he wants interesting challenges. If he’s got the b*lls to do it, why not. Worst he’ll do is lose.

• GetItOn says:

You can’t be very evasive against Brock Lesnar. He will just bum rush Machida and take him down and pound him out. Everyone has a punchers chance but I really believe the only way to beat Lesnar is by Arm bar or leg lock/knee bar. I don’t think with his explosiveness that many people in the heavyweight division can pull this off.

• ace328 says:

Stylistically I think the matchup would favor Machida but a 50 pound difference would probably be too much.

• ctownhood says:

platypus….not only will he get by Evans, it will be a dominant victory. Lesnar on the other hand…wow….tall challenge, but you have to respect him accepting that challenge.

• Angry Mike says:

Lesnar is as fast as a shark on his takedowns and has devastating power with his strikes. The beatings he put on Couture and Herring were impressive, and he would’ve served Mir in the same fashion but for Mir’s exceptional BJJ. I enjoy watching Machida fight, but there’s no way he could withstand Lesnar. And the Rashad Machida fight is an even money bet in my book.