Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua expected for October

According to multiple reports Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will square off against the newly crowned light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida at in October.

According to the reports Rua had been in Las Vegas meeting with UFC officials to work on a new contract for the former PRIDE superstar.

Rua has had his share of ups and downs since joining the UFC after the organization purchased PRIDE back in 2007. He lost his debut to Forrest Griffin at UFC 76 in September of 2007 and then underwent two knee surgeries that would keep him out of action until this past January when he defeated 44 year old Mark Coleman via third round TKO at UFC 93. Although the two were awarded a “Fight of the Night” bonus the bout was universally criticized as were both combatants. The two fighters seemed gassed by the middle of the first round and the fact that it took Rua just under the full 15 minutes to put a guy away who was not only 16 years older than he was but had not fought in over two years did not leave a good impression at all.

Rua went on to score a first round TKO over an aging Chuck Liddell at UFC 97 in April.

Machida of course is coming off a resounding knockout of the previously undefeated light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans last Saturday night at UFC 98. Machida, who was criticized in the beginning of his UFC career for being too elusive and boring, has now become one of the most feared fighters as well as one of the most exciting competitors as well. He earned his second “Knockout of the Night” bonus in his bout with Evans as he ran his UFC record to 7-0. His overall record now stands at an outstanding 15-0. He has defeated the likes of Rich Franklin, B.J. Penn and Stephan Bonnar outside of the octagon. His victims in the UFC include Rameau Thierry Sokodjou, Tito Ortiz, and Thiago Silva to name a few.

• Jstew3785 says:

I don’t know what to think about this fight. If Shogun shows up in top form, he has what it takes to beat Machida. If you would have asked me 3 years ago, I would take Shogun by a landslide, but now, I don’t know. Shogun has been criticized for his first 2 fights in the UFC and rightfully so, but he looked to be in a lot better condition for Liddell. But it still only lasted one round, so is his cardio really up to par? On paper, Machida should dominate him. For some reason, my gut says Shogun will take it. No real evidence behind it, just a gut feeling. I can’t wait for this fight!

• GetItOn says:

There are so many other fighters that should get this title shot first. I don’t get it. Luiz Cane, Rampage,

• GetItOn says:

I guess the UFC is going off Rua’s run in Pride. I know he’s good but I don’t think he will be able to defeat Machida.

• Dahogan11 says:

I think this fight makes a lot of sense. While Shogun has looked less than impressive in his recent bouts, he is still a top contender in the light heavyweight division. And as I am sure the UFC has realized, there are few fighters out there if any that have a shot at knocking off “The Dragon”. So, it doesn’t make sense to throw the top competition at him right away, i.e. rampage jackson or Luiz Cane. In my humble opinion, I see Anderson Silva getting a few bouts under his belt at 205 and eventually challenging Machida in what could potentially be the biggest fight in MMA history. I realize they are close friends, but for this payday I think they could both step it up and put on a show. Just food for thought..

• Angry Mike says:

I don’t think the outcome will depend on Rua’s physical condition. Machida’s wins over Silva and Rashad were nothing less than impressive, and he’s shown no weaknesses yet. I think he wins even if Rua is in peak condition, which remains to be seen.

• mikefab says:

I think there are a lot of other guys who deserve this title shot. Rua beat two guys who are out of their primes.

• s00nertp says:

I dread this fight.

only good thing: If shogun is fit & back in fine form.. this will be a great fight and the loss not too bad on his record.

Machida by KO… Shogun is too sloppy

• MMApride19 says:

I understand why many of you may think shogun is undeserving, as he is currently 2-1 inside the octagon, however, shogun is really the only fighter i can think of that has the tools to beat Machida. Yes, Machida is unbelievable, i havnt seen a fighter like him in years, i was one of the few fighters that knew that fighter would be something special from his first fight in the ufc. But, i honestly cant think of another fighter, another top contender, in the light heavy weight division that has the toolset and ability to beat MAchida, other than shogun.

Shogun may have not looked too impressive so far, other than his fight against liddell, but for someone to call that fighter ‘sloppy’, mentioning no names… is just ridiculous, iv been a fan of shogun for a very long time now, and watched many fights of his… He is far from ‘sloppy’. His ability is unbelievable, it really is, he is such a natural, aggressive striker, with world class BJJ, world class muay thai, and great take downs. He has never been knocked out, in fact i dont recall him ever bein really, ‘badly’ hurt by strikes in a veryyyy long time. And yes some will say, rashad had never been knocked out. However… Look at the fighters that shogun had fought in pride, and then compare with rashad evans….

By the way, Machida would TKO both Luiz Cane or Cain Valesquez, too whoever mentioned them two lol, They would play right into his game. It would honestly be too easy, putting solely strikers against Machida will not suffice. As for rampage… He would win, i love him, one of my favourite fighters, but again, style make fights, and Machida’s style would destroy rampages.

Sorry for the long message, i just have alot of views on this. My view at the moment is that Shogun really is the logical choice to fight Machida with a chance of winning.

• MMApride19 says:

Excuse me, meant to say ‘As for rampage… He WOULDNT win’

• neijia says:

yeah agree with you pride19. shogun better get in shape. at least then he might have some tools to work with against machida. i don’t think any of those other guys can beat him either. this is gonna be an anderson silva type situation of a dominant champ.

• bizzarmg says:

pride 19 is right about rampage losing. Machida has shown that he has well rounded skills. Beating guys like Rich Franklin, Tito, BJ, Silva, and Evans makes him a pretty dominant fighter. Not to mention he didn’t just beat those fighters….he dominated them. He’s shown that he can take on a bigger guy like tito, a skilled guy like Rich, and a fast powerful guy like Rashad. Can Rua beat him? Well i don’t think anybody is going to know that until they step into the cage. Rua is quite the fighter but he’s aggressive and that’s just the kind of fighter that Machida is best at dealing with, if rua is stupid and charges straight foward then Machida will just knock him out as soon as he sees an opening. If he’s patient and can stay away from Machida and wait until he slips up(which probably won’t happen to a guy like Machida) then he might have a chance at pulling out a decision. That’s doubtful tho. I’m going with Machida on this. Personally I think he’s the best pound for pound fighter in the UFC.