Nick Diaz vs. Joe Riggs II set for “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg”

strikeforcecrestNick Diaz is expected to face off with an old rival in Joe Riggs on August 15 on the main card of Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg.

The event is scheduled to take place at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, California.

Sources within Strikeforce recently confirmed the bout according to a recent report on Carson’s Corner.

This bout between the two will be the second professional mixed martial arts match-up but their third fight as the two traded blows in the hospital following their first encounter.

Riggs won the previous match-up between the two at UFC 57 as he edged out Diaz in a hard fought unanimous decision victory.

Diaz last saw action on May 6 where he submitted Scott Smith with a rear naked choke in the third round of “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields”,the same card where Riggs bested Phil Baroni by unanimous decision in his last outing.

• edub says:

What weight what weight what weight ????

Diaz by tko

• WhiteSniper says:

Good lookin’ out CB…… Awsome awsome fight. Been waiting for the rematch for quite some time.

Riggs KO 1st rd

• Joseph says:

Great fight. This August 15 event is going to be STACKED!
    Can’t wait.

This fight has FIREWORKS written all over it. These guys absolutely HATE each other.

• GetItOn says:

You gotta be joking me? How the hell is this on the undercard? Must be a Typo. Diaz will win this one for sure.

• dpk says:

I thought Diaz v Riggs II happened in the hospital after the first fight, isn’t this Diaz v Riggs III?

Anyway, this should be a good fight, Diaz is really coming into his own, and i see him taking this fight.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Why Joe,why?

Diaz by embarrassment.

• hindsightufuk says:

fucking awesome. never seen a dull nick diaz fight. love the guy. and yep its gonna be a battle alright. cant wait.

• Cory Brady says:

@GetItOn- There’s no way this fight isn’t televised. When I said undercard I meant that it would not be the main event.

• Jstew3785 says:

I was confused too. When you said undercard, I automatically think “not televised”. I would say it’s on the main card. It’s called “Strikeforce: Carano vs Cyborg”, so we know it’s not the main event. Anyway, I think Diaz will pick him apart. I see it going pretty much like the Scott Smith fight. I’m sure it will be at a catch weight, maybe 175…..????

• Cory Brady says:

Yeah, I can see how that would be confusing. Thanks Jstew

• meatloaf says:

Didn’t Riggs say he broke both his hands in the Baroni fight?

Seems like a quick turnaround to heal two broken hands and then start a training camp to prepare for a fight with Diaz.

Also when this fight does happen I’d assume there is no catch weight involved and it would be for a 170lb. title. Since Jake Shields plans are to apparently fight in the future at middleweight.

• edub says:

Man I hope the weight is at least 180 for this fight. I believe they both look better the higher in weight they go.

• Angry Mike says:

The last paragraph says it all. Diaz sub’ed Smith, but Riggs went to a decision with Baroni. Diaz by second round ko or tko, imo.

• meatloaf says:

What about the paragraph right before that where it says Riggs Won the first match up between the two?

• Angry Mike says:

That was a long time ago. Diaz is a better fighter now, and Riggs isn’t. Furthermore, Riggs has had muliple injuries, including one to his back. He ain’t the man that he once was.

• GetItOn says:

Yes….Diaz has clearly improved his game by leaps and bounds compared to Riggs. Don’t get me wrong, I believe that Riggs has gotten better since facing less worthy opponents than Swick, Sanchez and Hughes. He’s been in the game awhile but has not nearly improved as much as Diaz.