Gegard Mousasi: ‘My Opponents Can’t Hurt Me’

mousasiGegard Mousasi is hands down one of the least talked about top talents in the sport today.

Widely regarded my many of the MMA hardcore as one of the very best pound for pound fighters in the world, Mousasi plans on taking his respect as he prepares for the most high profile bout of his twenty eight fight career to date.

The extremely dangerous Dutch-Armenian will be looking to celebrate his twenty fourth birthday in style as he faces off with the top rated Renato “Babalu” Sobral in a light-heavyweight match-up on August 1 in Anaheim, California as part of the “Affliction: Trilogy” main card.

It would be impossible for Gegard to not have a certain level of confidence going into the bout with Babalu following a dozen consecutive victories, but according to the Red Devil trained brawler, training alongside the greatest fighter on the planet has done wonders for his mind-set.

“Standing next to Fedor, I feel so much bigger than him,” explained Mousasi in a recent press release issued through Affliction. “When you train with him, he feels like a middleweight. He’s as strong as a heavyweight but as fast as a middleweight, so I think that makes him special. If I can take my speed as a middleweight, have that explosiveness and mobility and move up to heavyweight, I think that’s something a lot of them don’t have.”

Having polished off the likes of Denis Kang, Melvin Manhoef, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Mark Hunt over the last year has left Mousasi feeling like there isn’t a man alive that can finish him.

“I feel always that I’m physically stronger than my opponents,” said the former DREAM middleweight champion. “I feel like my opponents can’t hurt me because I’m always comfortable in stand-up and there hasn’t been a fighter that’s ground-and-pounded me,” he says. “I feel like I can hurt them, but they can’t hurt me.”

Without a doubt, Babalu poses one of the toughest tests, if not the toughest, of Mousasi’s six year career in MMA.

“Babalu is a big challenge,” said Mousasi. “I like the way he fights—he fights to win. He’s a real fighter. I like fighters who come to fight. This fight will be and all out war. I think the fans will get an exciting fight.

“Even if he could take me down, I don’t see him (being able to) ground and pound me. I don’t see him getting mount or top position (or) that he can do any damage. I don’t see him submit(ting) me. So eventually it’ll be a stand up fight again. And sooner or later, I’ll catch him.”

• redness says:

I would love to see him drop to 185 and fight the spider.

• edub says:

Me too Red. I just dont think he wants to put in the work to make the weight anymore.

He sounds very confident after training with Fedor. I hope it doesnt make him overconfident.

• sigmund says:

I agree that would be a good match-up and I think he would have a real good chance against Silva after watching the dream MW tournament

• neijia says:

odd that he would feel like he is bigger than Fedor. The sparring vid of them makes Fedor look twice as wide and 50 lbs heavier. training with Fedor must be different than fighting Babalu, though. I don’t think Babalu would try for gnp, but submission. He has more subs than KO’s.

• GetItOn says:

We’re going to see how great Mousasi really is. I gotta go with Babalu on this one. Hopefully there are no crazy upkicks in this fight.

• cocoonofhorror says:

hes getting over confident. someone soon is going to take him down a notch, although i doubt it will be Babalu. how he reacts to getting beat down by a HW will decide if he is a champion or not.

• rembold24 says:

I would love to see Mousasi go to the UFC, simply because that’s their weakest division. He would be a nice addition to that weight class.

• rembold24 says:

That is if he went to middleweight. However if he chose their light-heavyweight division, he would be in some trouble.

• Austin says:

I feel bad for babalu, he’s going to get wrecked. Remember, Jacare Souza is a Jiu Jitsu world champion several times over.

• edub says:

Im not taking anything away from Gegard, and if you throw a kick and it lands thats a great job by you.

However I dont feel that fight should be remembered so much for the greatness of Mousasi, but more for the inexperience of Jacare. I think if that upkick didnt land Mousasi woulda been playing the three tap symphony soon enough.

• KTru says:

Do not be fooled about what Gegard has done so far. He is easily one of the best in the world. If he came to the UFC’s Light Heavyweight division he would only be beaten by Machida. He is that good, and watch him manhandle Babulu.

• edub says:

Neverseen Babalu get manhandled before by anyone… soo Im gonna have to say no he wont get manhandled by a guy who should be cutting to mw.

• KTru says:

He can’t cut to MW anymore, his body has developed more. He is only 24 years old. Similar scenario for Nick Diaz. Go ahead and say no, after August 1st you will become another believer.

• KTru says:

Guess you did not see the Babalu-Lambert fight

• edub says:

By manhandled Im talkin about grappling/ wrestling. He was winning the Lambert fight before he started throwing knees without covering his face.

If Anderson and Rich can still get to MW Gegard can get there.

• metalmulisha says:

Look at the video of Fedor & Mousasi grappling together.
    Mousasi has a bigger frame than Fedor. Moving up to Light Heavyweight is the right move.

• edub says:

Never seen the video does he hold his own with Fedor? Or are they just driliing.

• metalmulisha says:

They train together regularly so I’m sure that there’s more footage around than just the video that I’ve seen. The one I saw they were just rolling, it wasn’t a full sparring session.

• neijia says:

if it’s this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnaTx1V79h8&feature=player_embedded

to me Fedor looks like a brick wall and Mousasi looks skinny with wide lats. not sure why you’d think he looks bigger.

• metalmulisha says:

No that’s the first I’ve seen that video, but even in that one you can see Fedor has a short stocky body and Mousasi has a tall lean frame that when he fills it out he’s going to look huge. Just like when Alistair Overeem filled out his frame.
    Watch on Aug. 1st if Mousasi doesn’t look bigger than Babalu at Light Heavyweight I’ll admit that I must have been out to lunch when I posted these comments.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

This fight will be very interesting. Babalu is no pushover.
    I think neijia that he feels his frame is bigger or taller or something cuz Fedor is a lot wider and more solid that is for sure.

P.S. What a training partner they both have, if only Lyoto and GSP were to join them.