Shane Carwin speaks on UFC 104 showdown with Cain Velasquez; A 5 Oz. Exclusive

Shane Carwin Pic

There were mixed emotions among the mixed martial arts community when 5 Oz. recently revealed that fellow undefeated heavyweight prospects Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez would be butting heads at UFC 104.

Many fans, myself included, were thrilled at the announcement. The two fastest rising prospects in the UFC’s big man division trying to beat one another into an unconscious stupor; What’s not to love.

Well there are quite a few out there that will tell you what’s not to love, and that’s the fact that one of these two unblemished titans will leave the arena that night….. well, blemished.

I say let the chips fall where they may. What better way to get to the bottom of exactly who the definitive contender to Brock Lesnar’s crown is than to have Shane and Cain figure it out the old fashioned way?

Apparently UFC matchmaker Joe Silva was thinking the same thing as it has been reported that the winner of this heavyweight slugfest in October is guaranteed a shot at Lesnar’s championship strap.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com recently had the opportunity to catch up with the educated smashing machine that goes by the name of Shane Carwin to get his quick thoughts on what is sure to be the most bout of his life up until this point in his career.

Cory Brady for FiveOuncesOfPain.com: So it’s going to be you and Cain in Los Angeles, I know there are a whole lot of fans already extremely excited about this upcoming fight and it’s still a few months away. What are your thoughts on Velasquez as an opponent and what he brings to the table?

Shane Carwin: The scouting report on Cain is that he is well rounded and has an unlimited gas tank. He is an aggressive fighter who posses a ton of skill. He trains with one of the elite camps in the world so I really expect him to be in top shape and ready to go.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: What were you able to take away from Cain’s last performance against Cheick Kongo? Were you impressed or would you say that you saw a few holes in his game that you feel like you’re going to be able to ultimately capitalize on?

Shane Carwin: I saw that Cain is ready to bang it out with the top of the division. When preparing for a fight my team and I really just build our game plan. You can’t ever control what your opponent is going to do so we focus on imposing our will. Cain is a legitimate contender and I hope that winner gets a shot.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: What are some of the major advantages you feel like you are going to possess over Velasquez going into this match-up?

Shane Carwin: It’s hard to say. I think my striking is an advantage but honestly you never know until you are in the cage. A good example was when Gabe took me down, we had drilled that situation so many times that it was like second nature getting back to my feet. You kind of go on auto pilot when the cage door closes. That is why a lot of guys say pre-fight “I am going to stand and bang” and they’re shot as soon as a single leg happens. You’re not thinking about your interviews or promises made to your fans. Your going over your game plan and looking for those situations your coaches told you would be there. My trainers Trevor and Christian don’t get the credit they deserve a lot of times.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: I know you’ve had to take some time off to recover from the nose surgery, how far out do you imagine you will start your training camp for this fight, and where do you plan on doing the bulk of your training?

Shane Carwin: I am always training. I have been back in the gym since the doctor cleared me. As soon as my team is back from The Ultimate Fighter we will crank up the training camp. Until then, I am working my fundamentals and strength and conditioning.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: How did you hook up with Renzo Gracie black belt Amal Easton, and what was the motivation behind your desire to obtain your black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Shane Carwin: I was introduced through Eliot Marshall. I really enjoyed Amal’s attitude and approach to training and it will be a good fit. My head trainer Trevor really encourages us to work with other people. Lately I have been training at the Olympic Training Center along with my other regular spots. I think BJJ is a critical component to becoming a great MMA fighter. As a wrestler it is important for me to increase my exposure to all of the various aspects of the sport. Christian Allen will always be one of my top coaches as well, he has been with me from the beginning and is amazing in all aspects of the game. I earned a Purple Belt under Nate Marquardt, whom is a fabulous instructor. I made the choice to start over as a White Belt and it was out of respect to Amal and his approach to training.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Honestly, how excited are you that you are finally just one fight away from your dream, a shot at the UFC heavyweight championship?

Shane Carwin: I think the UFC has shown time and time again that they give those shots to the guys that are the most exciting. You have Randy and Nogueira fighting, and then you have great guys like Junior Dos Santos. I am in awe of the fighters in the UFC Heavyweight Division, they have really built up the talent pool.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Thanks for taking this time with me Shane, is there anyone you would like to thank?

Shane Carwin: I would like to thank the fans of the sport without you guys none of this would be possible, so thank you. I want to thank my amazing team and coaches, my management company. Last but not least my sponsors Warrior Wear, MMAadnet, Max Muscle, Xyience, CarnalDammage, and www.shane-carwin.com.

• Mbreckles49 says:

That was a boring interview. Throw in some interesting, less typical questions next time.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Boooooo

• dpk says:

I hope Shane stays focused on Cain, and doesn’t get caught looking ahead to a fight with Lesnar. I think he has the tools and unreal power to be a threat to anyone in the division. He also needs to realize that if Dana signs Fedor, then he is going to get bumped back in line and might have to fight one more time before getting a title shot, maybe against the Cro Cop v Dos Santos winner.

• Gurthee says:

Shane will have to out strike Cain to have any chance in this one IMO. Cain has a better wrestling pedigree IMO and I think he can take Shane on the ground. We saw that Cain can be hit and hit hard in the Kongo fight so Shane better polish up his striking for this one. Should be a great fight though.

• [...] Undefeated heavyweight behemoth Shane Carwin talks to Five Ounces of Pain about his preparations for fellow rising heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez, who “The [...]

• Jstew3785 says:

Shane will easily outstrike Cain. I think they are neck and neck in wrestling. I don’t think Cain will be able to get him to the ground at all. Even if he does manage to, Shane has shown that he will get right back up. Gonzaga is a lot bigger and stronger than Cain and he couldn’t hold Carwin down. Carwin will have at least 30lbs on Cain on fight night and will be the much stronger guy. Carwin by 1st round KO/TKO. This is not going to be as competitive as everyone thinks.

• What Jstew said. Spot on analysis.

• edub says:

To Jstew and Sergio:

I think your puting a little to much stock in Carwins striking. Ill give it to him his power is off the charts, but I dont see him being able to hang with Cain on the ground in the later rounds. I dont see him catching Cain like Kongo did either.

Cain is the next big thing in the hw division for a reason and I think this fight is his coming out party. Cain by dec or late tko.

• Jstew3785 says:

I disagree Edub, but oh well. The worst part is that we have to wait until October for this fight. Also, it’s going to be a long layoff again until Lesnar defends the title. Whoever wins in October gets a title shot, so it will probably be in February or March before they fight.

• edub says:

Yea I know thats like an 8 month layoff b/t hw title fights. Sux balls.

• PlagueAngel says:

Does Carwin cut a lot of weight to make 265? Is he like Lesnar and walks into the cage 280-285? I see a huge weight advantage for Carwin if this turns into a wrestling match if he is 20-40 Ibs heavier. All that power and the guy hits like a mack truck. It smells like trouble for Cain.

• edub says:

He came in against Gabe under 260. He might walk around over 265 in non training mode, but in his fight against Gabe he did not look much bigger than Gonzaga himself.

• Jstew3785 says:

Carwin walks around about 280. He weighed about the same as Gonzaga, but he was the bigger guy. You have to subtract about 10lbs or so from Gonzaga to account for all that chest and back hair. He doesn’t cut weight like edub said, he trims up to about 260-265 come fight time.

• edub says:

10 lbs for back hair. Nice.

• Jstew3785 says:

I thought you’d like that

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Everybody rates Carwin so highly but I have my doubts. I think that Carwin will be 1 of those guys that is only capable of beating a certain type of fighter. As for Valasquez, the fight against Kongo showed me that you are no Lesnar either.

• Jstew3785 says:

Gonzaga the 2nd best HW in the UFC? No disrespect man, but I find that laughable. He’s maybe top 5 in the UFC, maybe, but definitely not #2

• dpk says:

Yeah, right now Lesnar, Mir, Randy, and Carwin have to be ahead of Gonzaga. Nog, Dos Santos, and Velasquez are also right there with him. If he is fighting up to his potential I think Gonzaga could be one of the 2-3 best in UFC, but he needs to be consistent and get back on a win streak.

• “Oh and mark my words, Gonzaga is at least the 2nd best HW fighter in the UFC, all he needs to do is get his game together.”

Dude’s a mental midget.

What’s crazy is his biggest win is against CroCop, who has the same problem he does. When the fight is not going their way, they buckle and collapse.

• BigDave says:

This fight is interesting. These two cancel each other out in wrestling so lets look at other aspects. Cain has the better submission game and off the charts Cardio. Shane has the size and power advantage and is a better striker. So if I was going to pick a winner in this fight I would have to say If it goes into deep waters its Cain that will be on top in a decision or third round tko or submission, and should it end early I give the nod to Shane by tko/ko. This is just my opinion so feel free to agree ;)

As for MMA-LOGIC saying Gonzaga is a #2 HW well thats your opinion but lets face facts he got destroyed by Couture and hasnt fought anyone to be placed at that level. At this moment I don’t think he is top 5 he would be behind obviously Lesnar,Carwin,Valasques,Mir,Couture,And Big Nog. He is in that next tier with guys like Kongo,Crocop, and the like. but a solid top 10. If Gabe can get his mind right and stay focused he does have the potential to be a top 5 guy but till now has not been able to do so.

• bizzarmg says:

Shane and Cain have both shown that they can take a top contender but I’m pretty sure that if you throw either one of these guys in the ring with Brock and he’ll tear them apart. Frank Mir was pretty much the best heavyweight in the division and Brock destroyed him. Shane and Cain are good but I just don’t think they can take Brock

• Patrickk says:

I just know Carwin was dying to tell his strategy:

Use takedown defense and keep it standing to secure a knockout!

I KNOW he watched the Velasquez vs. Kongo fight. Kongo had him outclassed BY FAR on the standup. And if Kongo had any BASIC ground skills, he could have got the fight back to the feet and knocked Velasquez out WITH EASE!!!

I truly believe Shane Carwin is going to demolish Velasquez KO-style in the first round!

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont care who wins this fight, with two soild fighters like this both coming in with big wins the fans all get a treat.