Kimbo Slice: ‘I can’t just come with one dimension; I’ll get smashed’

kimbo-slice

As the mixed martial arts community prepares itself for the most anticipated season of the highly successful Ultimate Fighter series, much of the attention has been centered around one man.

The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights is set to begin airing on September 16 and will feature a bearded brawler that goes by the name of Kevin Ferguson, more commonly known as Kimbo Slice.

Eager to redeem himself in the fight game following his fourteen second embarrassment at the hands of Seth Petruzelli in October of 2008, Kimbo threw the masses for a curve ball when it was recently announced that he would be part of the upcoming heavyweight TUF cast.

It seemed like Kimbo hysteria ensued overnight following the recent announcement. Why all the attention for a guy that used to beat human punching bags upon the Internet? The way Kimbo sees it, it’s because he’s just your every day Wal-Mart shopping Joe.

“The reason why I have a large fanbase and following is because people know I can relate,” explained Kimbo in a recent interview with MMAFanHouse.com. “I can relate to that guy right there. He goes to Wal-mart? I go to Wal-mart, too. He sees me, we talk. I’m in Winn-Dixie like he’s in Winn-Dixie. I don’t consider myself no bigtime, nothing like that. I’m just a regular guy doing what I love to do.”

A big fan base isn’t going to save your butt in the octagon, and Kimbo knows full well that if he has any plans of remaining in the UFC for any length of time, he’s got some work to do.

“You’ve got to be well-rounded to be an Ultimate Fighter,” said the 35 year old resident of Miami. “I can’t just come with one dimension; I’ll get smashed. So I gotta suit up. I’ve gotta learn some ground s***. I’ve gotta learn some wrestling s***. I’ve got to prepare for mixed martial arts and get ready for it.”

Slice admits that his ultimate goal in the UFC is to become a champion, but until then he’s fine with just scrapping.

“Eventually you want to put that title around your waist,” said Kimbo. “You want that gold. But you know, if it happens, it’s gonna happen. Just line them up.”

• PlagueAngel says:

If he thinks he can compete at heavyweight in the UFC then he has been smoking something more then marijuana. We all know what he needs to do, but he is already 35 and time is running out of for the slice man! He needs to cut down the weight and make 205 to be effective.

• edub says:

I dont really think hed be effective in any division.

Id like to see an interview with Kimbo on the recent reactions of Bas Rutten.

• cage_rage says:

This is the perfect way to see if Kimbo has what it takes to become an Ultimate Fighter. I haven’t watched any of his “pro” fights but I don’t think he will make it vary far.

Cutting down to 205 would dramatically decrease his chances of winning. Obviously he needs to “learn some ground s***” but the guys he will be competing against are familiar with the ground game. He has a puncher’s chance to win a couple matches, that’s it.

I’m just curious if he does, somehow, get into the UFC, will he work on his ground game or become another Houston Alexander?

• metalmulisha says:

PlagueAngel “He needs to cut down the weight and make 205 to be effective.”
    How would Kimbo dropping to 205 hide his obvious lack of a ground game and suspect chin. I mean the guy who KO’d him was suppose to fight at 205, and James Thompson even though he’s a heavyweight he’s hardly a world class grappler and he was schooling Kimbo on the ground.
    Unless the UFC brings back Neil Wain or Wade Shipp to fight who’s he going to beat?
    Having said that I’m looking forward to TUF 10 more than any season since season 3.

• PlagueAngel says:

Not saying he will be effective and dominate, but he would fair better in 205. I don’t think he has any chance at any weight class to become a title contender.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh come on I think Kimbo has a shot against Leben if he can make 185. LOL!.
    I guess he may prove me wrong but I doubt it.

• dpk says:

I don’t think that Kimbo will ever be a serious force. He could beat some lower level guys with some more quality training, but I don’t see him ever fighting for a title, no matter what division he fights in.

• shotokai_ says:

I’ve just had a look at every fighter on the UFC HW roster and, honestly, the only person I might back Kimbo to beat would be Al-Turk and even that wouldn’t be a certainty. Lets be honest, he’s not going to win TUF, or even get close. Even if he does somehow win it he will get beaten 3 times in a row in the UFC, get cut and retire. Simple as that. Kimbo is going nowhere, with any organization, in any division.

• BigDave says:

So, Bimbo splice is going to be on the ultimate fighter. Are there that few heavys out there that they need to give this absolute waste of a human life a shot. This loser got trashed by Seth petra-sumthing who was a 205 guy and before that got schooled by Thompson on the ground ans he has very little ground game. At least after he gets stopped quicker then silvia against mercer we wont ever have to see this loser ever again and he can go back to the ghetto and beat up crackheads and father more kids he wont take care of.

• Patrickk says:

@ BigDave

Dude, you’re reacting out of pure emotion and not looking at it from the business standpoint.

Regardless if Kimbo wins or loses, he is going to draw more well-needed attention to the sport of MMA. And if he wins, it is going to draw even more well-needed attention to the sport. And if he gets a UFC contract that will be bananas for big draws and he will be on the event cards for fight nights everytime…which will in turn, draw more well-needed attention to the sport of MMA.

He may not be the best fighter or even a middle-tier fighter just yet. But think about it from a business standpoint and stop being so negative.

What if you recorded street fights that you won and suddenly you were getting calls from organizations to fight for hundreds of thousands of dollars… Wouldn’t you take up the offer?

DUH right?!!!

BE conscious of the negative things you say about other people. It comes back on you 7 times worse.