Dana White explains Cro Cop situation

crocopAfter his first round stoppage of Mustapha Al Turk, Mirko Cro Cop was rumored to be departing the UFC for the Japanese based Dream Promotion. Upon hearing the news, UFC President Dana White exploded on the 2006 Pride Grand Prix Champion.

“Isn’t that a dirty (expletive) thing to do?” White said. “He (expletive) me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he (expletive) me.”

However, White’s comments were only half the story, and Cro Cop responded to what White said about him.

“By the time I landed from Europe, Cro-Cop called me 600 times. He said, ‘I didn’t sign with anybody,” White said.

White recanted more of the conversation between himself and Cro Cop.

“You’re calling me this and that. I said, ‘I didn’t call you anything. I said that if you did sign then that’s what I would have called you,” White said.

Now that the two have made peace and Cro Cop signed for three more fights with the UFC, White placed the blame for the miscommunication completely on the location of Cro Cop’s last employer.

“Some sneaky bad (expletive) goes on all the time in Japan. The day of Cro Cop’s fight for me they released the info in Japan. They did it the day of the fight,” White said.

Cro Cop is set to take on Junior Dos Santos at UFC 103 in Dallas, Tx.

• cocoonofhorror says:

wow glad this is straightened out… for a minute there i thought Dana might be a douchebag.

• shotokai_ says:

haha ^

• manny says:

dana is a douche bag, only reason he got cro cop back was b/c ufc
    hw division suxs. plus he talks sh** about a fighter when he can’t sign them (like fedor) and then he wants to sign them badly. dana sux @$$!

• edub says:

2nd the haha

• PlagueAngel says:

I don’t know how you can say the HW division sucks. I just can’t imagine anyone thinks that at this point. I like Dana White and I believe he is doing a great job. No one is perfect and I believe he creates a great tempo of energy for the UFC.

• cage_rage says:

PlagueAngel, I agree with you. The UFC has been trying to bring in more talent to the HWD. It’s the best its been since Silvia, Arlovski, and Monson.

Yes, the HWD has been sh**y the past couple years but now it’s exciting to watch and I’m glad Cro Cop is back, although his UFC fights have been lackluster. He does have problems with his ground game.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

When will we be rid of the plague that is Dana White?.

• rediknight says:

Just a misunderstanding that happens all the time in the media. Sounds a little out of line though for Dana to blame it on a whole country. Happy it is all worked out and look forward to the Dos Santos matchup.

• bizzarmg says:

It looked like that poke in the eye really hurt. Cro Cop is dirty.

• Patrickk says:

I just read somewhere else that Cro Cop didn’t call Dana at all. If it were me, I’d be calling Dana 600 times! lol…being in the UFC is like being in the NFL…you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn’t think Cro Cop would diss Dana White like that, but you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

I don’t like Cro Cop much as a fighter, but as a person he seems pretty cool.