Jeff Monson: ‘I’m the guy to beat Fedor’

jeff monsonJeff Monson makes no bones about it; He wants Fedor, and he doesn’t care how short of a notice he has to take the fight to accomplish his dream.

Monson was a Division I wrestler out of Oregon State and a Pac-1o champion out of the University of Illinois. Known as one of the best heavyweight grapplers in the business, the hulking 5’9″, 245 pound brawler is a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu, a two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling Champion, and has won multiple submission tournaments.

Widely regarded as one of the top heavyweight mixed martial artists on the planet, “The Snowman” has a career record of 30-8. Winning his last seven consecutive bouts, he has compiled wins over the likes of highly regarded heavyweights such as Roy Nelson and Sergei Kharitnov in 2009 alone.

Monson’s agent, Jessy Evans, has been on the phone actively trying to secure a spot against Fedor Emelianenko at “Affliction Trilogy“. According to her in statements released to FiveOuncesOfPain.com, the ball’s in Affliction’s court now.

“Jeff is destined for this fight,” said Evans. “This is the fight he has always wanted. Opportunity is knocking and Jeff just open the door and said lets dance. Now it up to Tom and the Affliction guys to make their minds up to see if they want to make history.”

Where’s Monson stand on the issue? Let’s just say he’s more than ready to fill Josh Barnett’s shoes in this once in a lifetime opportunity, just waiting on that call.

“I’m the guy to beat Fedor,” boasted Monson. “He’s a great fighter. I’d definitely love to see me fight Fedor. It’s a perfect match-up. He’s the guy I’m destined to fight. I want to be the guy to beat him. I’d definitely love to be carried off afterward…. after I submit him. My goal is to be the best in the world, even if it’s for one fight.”

• dpk says:

It would be a great fight, especially if Rogers and Werdum are out. Monson is one of the best grapplers in the world, and is on a pretty good winning streak. He is one of the few guys who can hold his own with Fedor on the ground.

• Patrickk says:

This is way better than a fight with Vitor Belfort. Monson has the physique of a monster, and he has skills to go along with it. I would pick Monson to replace Barnett since Lashley, ‘Grim’ Rogers, and Werdum can’t take it.

Putting Vitor Belfort in the title fight would be such an easy opponent for Fedor. Not taking anything away from Belfort, it is just the size difference. Think Lesnar vs. Mir II.

• [...] and stocky submission specialist Jeff Monson tells Five Ounces of Pain that he’s available for work on August 1 should the promotion just so happen to need a [...]

• Jstew3785 says:

I don’t know if he could beat Fedor, but it would probably be a better matchup than Vitor Belfort. He has a legitimate chance of subbing Fedor. Not saying he will, but the dude is a stud on the ground.

• TheHouse says:

I am kind of excited to see all this last minute action for an opponent. I am not sure if it was on this site or another one that someone mentioned most fights should be like this. As in, there is little prep time to focus on game-plans and strategies for an opponent. It makes people have to utilize their basic strengths without focusing for months on someone else’s weaknesses.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont see Jeff being anymore of a challenge thm Vitor, acually he might be easier. When he fought Sylvia he couldnt do anything to big Tim, even when he had him down. He did beat Roy Nelson but barely, and his striking is not so hot, plus he is giving Fedor quite a reach advantage. Vitor on the other had is as tall as Fedor, he has olny been submittet once( to Monsons twice) and if he connects with a punch its lights out. As good as Fedor is, Fujita almost knocked him out. I am not saying Vitor will win it’s just I think he would be much more of a challenge than Monson.

• ace328 says:

Monson had a tough time against Sylvia but that was a while ago. I’d rather have him fight Fedor than Belfort. Belfort already has a good fight scheduled so select from Rogers, Werdum, Monson, or dare I say…Don Frye?

• fanoftna33 says:

Jeff has never really submitted anybody with a decent record
    His submission wins with fighters over a .500 career 4
    fighters at .500 or below 17
    He also has fought the same person in 3 seperate fights.
    So while I agree he is a very good submission fighter, unless Fedor really screws up he has nothing at all to worry about from Monson.

• hindsightufuk says:

id love to see it. for me id rather watch these two go at it than vitor, brett etc. At least Affliction dont then completely fuck up their card by losing the vitor santiago fight too.
    how about kharitanov?

• metalmulisha says:

For everyone who wants to see Monson/Fedor over Belfort/Fedor all I have to say is go watch UFC 65 Monson/Sylvia main event if you can stay awake. This isn’t a grappling match it’s an MMA fight and after seeing Monson stink up the joint against Sylvia, Pe de Pano, and Barnett I have no interest in seeing him in a big event fight again.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am buying this ppv (like the other two) no matter who Fedor fights but for my money I would really like to see hom fight Rodgers.

• Rich S. says:

Even if you think Monson stands no chance against Fedor, you must admit that it’s a good matchup, and it’s a wonder that we haven’t seen these two face off yet..

Ever since that loss to Barnett, Monson’s been on a roll..

He picked up two wins in a row just two weeks apart from each other.. Then, after a short two month break he picked up a win over former HW champ Ricco Rodriguez. And after another short, three month break from action, he got three straight wins over a span of THREE WEEKS.. Two of those being over Roy Nelson and Sergei Kharitonov..

That’s insane!

And most recently he nabbed yet another win two weeks ago, in just over a minute..

After writing all this, I’m actually starting to get stoked for Fedor/Monson

• edub says:

No fan fare for Monson(besides the hardcore fans). It should be Rogers or Belfort from a money stand point. Both are stand up fighters= more entertainment. Both have a marketable look. Both are coming off devastating wins. My pick would be Rogers.

• Angry Mike says:

Fedor would drop Monson in a matter of seconds. Monson doesn’t have the stand up to hang with Fedor. Fedor destroyed Sylvia and Arlovski, both of whom are substantially better strikers than Monson. I’m not sure who’s available and would be a legitimate threat to Fedor, but I am sure it’s not Monson.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rich S
    Yes Monson has been on a roll since his loss to Barnett but look at the level of compition.
    Mark Kerr- way past his prime
    Ricco Rodrigues- see above
    Jimmy Ambriz- 13 wins and 12 losses way out of Jeff’s league
    Roy Nelson- a quality win
    Jimmy Ambriz – again.
    Sergi Maslobojev- 5-5 kind of inexperienced
    Sergi Kharitonov- a quality win
    So in his streak he has two good wins 1 by decision and 1 by submission. I still dont see him being any kind of threat besides freak punch to Fedor.

• Jstew3785 says:

Jose Canseco is sitting by his phone, just waiting for the call…

• edub says:

Let Jose fight him with a bat.

Fedor still wins by domination.

• metalmulisha says:

We are all really wasting our time with this one because,Affliction isn’t going to even ask Monson.
    They didn’t seek him out he wasn’t even on their short list with Belfort, Rogers, Werdum, and Arona. This is a case of Monson throwing his name in the hat hoping in a last resort move (which it would be) they’re out of options and call him up. It’s not gonna happen.

• egad81 says:

Rogers or Monson… I will buy the PPV
    Vitor… not so much

• hindsightufuk says:

fuck it i wanna see Nick Diaz bring it

• Jstew3785 says:

Hell yeah hindsight!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Diaz would get KO’d, plain and simple

• Jstew3785 says:

Wow Ozz, did you think we were serious…?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

No, LOL. I would buy that actually though, just to get a good laugh!

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont know if even Fedor could ko Diaz, that dude is double tough.