Jay Hieron: ‘I have a lot of bills and no paycheck’

jay-hieronA perspective that seems to be absent in the wake of today’s cancellation of ”Affliction: Trilogy” is the effect the news has had on the individuals who were preparing to enter the ring on August 1st (and bring home some well-deserved pay in the process). Months spent preparing for now-defunct bouts have ultimately resulted in tolls taken on fighters’ wallets and bodies.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has contacted welterweight Jay Hieron on Friday afternoon to get his take on the situation. Hieron, who is currently on a five-fight winning streak, was scheduled to compete against British striker Paul Daley at the event originally headlined by Fedor Emelianenko.

“It sucks, man. Rough business,” said the Long Islander. When asked whether or not he knew if he would receive a percentage of his contracted pay, Hieron responded, “I don’t know, but I know I put everything on hold. We all put everything on hold…paid a lot of money for training…and I have a lot of bills and no paycheck.”

The 17-4 “Thoroughbred” trains with XTreme Couture, a gym also associated with fellow “Affliction: Trilogy” victims Chris Horodecki and Vitor Belfort.

However, as disappointed as Hieron seemed about things, he also maintained a positive disposition about what his future holds. “It is what it is”, said Hieron while expressing confidence that something positive would be coming his way in the near future.

Assuming that Strikeforce may be looking for a replacement to take Joe Riggs’ spot against Nick Diaz on August 15th he may not have to wait very long. Said Hieron on the potential throwdown with the Gracie-trained Californian, “Yeah, that’s a fight I’m trying to get.”

Given the bout’s potential as an immensely entertaining scrap between two skilled Mixed Martial Artists, as well for Hieron’s sake, MMA fans should all hope that silver-lining scenario comes to fruition.

• ThePerfectDrug says:

I hope this happens it would be a saving grace to a rapidly declining StrikeForce card, make the magic happen Mr. Coker.

On a side note I am hearing that Affliction is offering alot of the fighters LongTerm sponsor deals to offset some of their costs loss in the whole Affliction thing, every bit helps right?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I was waiting to hear from a few of these guys. I feel bad for them. Those camps aren’t cheap by any means. Best of luck to all.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hopefully Strikeforce gets Heiron in to face Diaz, that would be a better fight imo. I was looking forward to seeing he fight Daley, that had war written all over it.

• edub says:

Substitute Shields for Diaz too and ull have the two best 170lbs outside of the UFC fighting each other.

Nick go back to MW.

• Patrickk says:

Yeah, this is the downside right now. But trust and believe it will all pay off for them in the end. I know that their training camps and coaches understand what just happened, and will probably cut them some slack on things until they get another fight.

Another thing is, they could get a loan off of Randy Couture, lol. He’s pretty paid right now! A gym, a clothing line, fights, money from the gates of the events that he fight in, amongst other small-time endorsements…yeah, he’s pretty paid right now!

Sounds kinda bad, but you gotta do what you gotta do. These guys bust their behinds and Affliction better compensate them with at least half of their regular pay rate.

• fanoftna33 says:

A long term sponsership and a fresh start with a new promotion is a good thing for some of these guys. with Affliction putting on so few shows a year, averaged out they did not pay that well.My guess for the first fighter signed would be Belfort.

• metalmulisha says:

Hieron going to Strikeforce makes sense, but I personally would like to see Strikeforce get Gomi for a rematch with Diaz, and yes I know Diaz is a lot bigger, but that first fight was one of the best fights I’ve seen.

• fanoftna33 says:

I forgot all about the Gomi fight at least he can still fight over in japan, but personally I would like to see him fight in the UFC
    Gomi vs Maynard would be awesome.

• So many people are lamenting Affliction’s death with overwrought “They put some a couple of great shows” eulogies but so many people are forgetting that this is the SECOND time they’ve screwed over fighters.

Guys like Fedor, Arlovski, Barnett… they can afford to lose out of a paycheck.

Guys like Hieron, Lauzon, Horodecki, Santiago… they’re fucked, man. They’re probably struggling now and my heart goes out to them.

The UFC, for all its underhandedness and “shady” business tactics, represents a steady, almost guaranteed paycheck if you are under contract to them.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I actually thought alot about this last night and it bothers me. I know these guys put alot on the line to get the trainers for the camp, pay them, spend time away from their families, and when it comes down to crunch time, just when you’re wrapping it up and polishing the rough edges, BINK! They jerk the carpet out from under you. I really hope they find a way to either guarentee these guys a bout soon, or at least give them their guarenteed amounts.

Some of us live paycheck to paycheck. Some of these guys do to- fight to fight

• No joke, ozz.

I can’t tell you how screwed I would be if I only got paid every four months and come August or December, my employer said, “Oh, sorry, we can’t pay you. Maybe next time?”

Hopefully these guys end up with a steady income from UFC or Strikeforce, two MMA companies who actually know what the hell they are doing.

On the upside to all this, here is a quote from Mousasi:

“Well, what can I say. It’s ridiculous because one idiot we all have to pay for that. F*ck it. Maybe I … I don’t know. Every time … Maybe I’ll go to the UFC. It’s ridiculous that this has to happen. I’ve been preparing for weeks now.”

• Jstew3785 says:

That’s awesome to hear another fighter say that. I know all of us posting have jumped Barnett’s ass for what he did, but it’s about time someone else said something.

• dpk says:

Yeah, there is an article on another site praising how much Affliction paid guys like Arlovski, Lindland, Belfort, and Barnett got paid, but it doesn’t take into account guys like Hieron, and that Lauzon, and Horodreki had fights postponed late in the game by these guys multiple times, and they don’t have the big time contracts. UFC and Strikeforce will at least follow through on their scheduled fights because they have fighters who can fill in on short notice.

That is a nice quote by Mousasi though, I would love to see him in UFC soon.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is why fighters having sponsers is so important. Another reason affliction coming back to the ufc is a good thing. Hopefully these fighters get fights very soon.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder if the guys at affliction are licking thier chops at all the potential new desings they can come out with?

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Hieron would fit in nicely with Strikeforce. He could give Diaz a pretty good fight as Diaz has had trouble with good wrestlers. I dont see him getting a ko but a UD is a possiabilty.

• fanoftna33 says:

Acually he has never been submitted.