Report: Diaz vs. Riggs II is off

Strikeforce’s Aug. 15 event in San Jose, Calif. featuring the biggest fight in female MMA history between Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg was also supposed to be a history-making event in that it was going to feature four title fights.

However, after losing a heavyweight title fight between incumbent Alistair Overeem and challenger Fabricio Werdum due to Overeem re-injuring his hand, it appears that Strikeforce could be on the verge of losing a second title fight.

According to GracieFighter.com, a site owned and operated by the Cesar Gracie, the trainer of Nick Diaz, the rematch between Diaz and Joe Riggs in which the first-ever Strikeforce welterweight champion would be crowned is now off.

The report claims a bad reaction to a drug is the reason for the cancellation of the bout.

“Joe Riggs has pulled out of his fight with Nick Diaz after suffering a bad reaction to an as of yet undisclosed drug,” writes the site. “According to sources close to the fighter, Riggs will be recovering in the hospital for the next couple of weeks and therefore unable to fight Diaz. At this time it is unclear if Riggs’ problem is physical or mental.”

Strikeforce or Riggs have yet to address the report publicly but Gracie Fighter goes on to add that Diaz will remain on the card with a new opponent expected to be revealed over the course of the next several days.

• Jstew3785 says:

I want Diaz to wear some gold, but he looks better as a middleweight. I know they train together, but how about Jake Shields vs Nick Diaz for the interim MW title?

• Snoop Dogg says:

another card going to crap. But really though this is okay Diaz vs Riggs isn’t that interesting anyways.

Jstew why would Diaz and Shields fight at MW? They both are better suited for WW

• shotokai_ says:

And they’re bezzie pals, won’t happen unfortunately. Diaz has looked good at MW but lets be realistic about who he’s fought. A Frank Shamrock who’s knees won’t allow him to shoot and a less than technical, to say the least, Scott Smith. Hardly top 10 MW’s in my opinion. If Diaz can learn how to effectively sprawl against wrestlers rather than use his Kimura-setup defense, he would fare much better against the big boys in his division(s), and same goes for his brother. Lets be honest, to get to the top of any div you have to be able to get past solid wrestlers on the way up and Diaz’s career problems have been in doing so. Until he shows he can do it, I’ll be skeptical about his overall ability, his chances in the UFC or about his place in the p4p top 10, which is where Joe Rogan thinks he is at the moment.

• Jstew3785 says:

Well Shields said he wanted to fight Cung Le for the belt, and Cung Le is a middleweight. Nick Diaz has been fighting close to middleweight lately also. Both have expressed interest in staying up in weight. And last time I checked Frank Shamrock fought for the belt before he fought Diaz. Shamrock and Smith are not top 10 by any means, but Diaz fights for Strikeforce and that’s about half of their middleweight roster, so who else is he supposed to fight?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’m more interested to see what the “drug” was that Riggs had a reaction to. Was this a banned substance? Prescription? “Drug” is so loosley defined; Leaves a lot to the imagination.

Hopefully we’re not witnessing ANOTHER CSAC “drug bust”

• fanoftna33 says:

This looked like a good fight. Hopefully Riggs is ok soon. Is it just me or do all the reports coming from Graciefighter put down the opponents, (at this time it is unclear if Rigg’s problem is physical or mental). Ive said it before Strikeforce has shown the ability to handly these types of situations pretty well.

• dpk says:

I have a feeling that Shields is not getting a title shot because he has expressed a lot of interest in going to UFC in the not too distant past. Strikeforce probably doesn’t want it’s champ bolting out the door 2 fights down the road. Diaz has been on a roll, I wonder if Strkeforce might be able to get Jay Hieron over to fight now that Affliction has been cancelled, he would be a good substitute for Riggs.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would love to see Diaz take on Cung Le. Really Le reminds me a little of Kimbo. He gets a lot of attention but the day he steps into the cage withe a real solid guy he will lose badly. I dont dislike him, I just dont buy in to all the hype.

• edub says:

Yesssss stay at MW Nick and let Shields take care of ww. I wanna see diaz beat up Cung Le for the MW belt, and then Shields can beat up Hieron or Riggs or whoever they plan on bringin in at ww.

Oh and as for being top ten or not bot Shamrock and Smith were legit MWs, that could give a lot of other mws trouble.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Any word from Riggs’ camp as to what the situation is?

• How awesome would it be to have Mousasi/Sobral and Belfort/Santiago moved to Strikeforce?

Wishful thinking on my part but I really, REALLY wanted to see these two fights.

• edub says:

Great thinking Sergio. Coker should be all over those guys let alone a few other fighters from affliction.

Imagine a year from now if you will:

Lawler vs. Belfort
    Horodecki vs. Gurgel
    Mousasi vs. Tito
    Santiago vs. Diaz
    Hieron vs. Shields
    Lauzon vs. Thompson
    Sobral vs. Lil Nog
    Matyushenko vs. Feijao
    Lindland vs. Frank Shamrock
    Le vs. Benji Radach
    Overeem vs. Fedor
    possibilities are endless…

• ozz_the_powerful says:

edub, those are some awesome possibilities.

Agree with Sergio too. Mousasi-Sobral and Belfort-Santiago was what I was looking forward to. I had a fear that the Fedor fight was going to be quick, but that I’d get my money’s worth with those two.

Now, I’m left with shadows and dust : (

• Shit, man, Sobral is Strikeforce’s LHW champ!

They should DEFINITELY throw that fight on Carano vs. Cyborg!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I wonder about that….. Maybe they will do a joint venture with SF in August instead?

• It sounds like Strikeforce and M-1 are gonna snatch up some or most of the cancelled fights.

Iole over at Y!Sports is reporting an Affliction/Strikeforce merger is imminent!

I don’t think this change’s Strikeforce’s business plan, though. They’ll have a deeper roster but I think Coker still won’t go after the UFC directly.

• fanoftna33 says:

If thoes two merge then we get to see top quality mma fights almost every week.
    UFC ppv
    Strikeforce
    Dream
    Sengoku
    M-1
    UFC- fight night
    This could bring us so many good fights.

• Jstew3785 says:

If they do merge together, then move the some of the fights to the Strikeforce card of Aug 15. At the least Babalu vs Mousasi for the Strikeforce LHW title and Belfort vs Santiago. How about Fedor vs Overeem/Rogers for the interim Strikeforce HW title?

• fanoftna33 says:

I would like to see Overeem vs Rogers for the title with the winner getting a chance to face Fedor. I am curious if his WAMMA title would carry over to a different orginization.

• Jstew3785 says:

I meant Werdum/Rogers for interim title, not Overeem.

• fanoftna33 says:

That fight would be interesting but I think Rogers takes both of them. Against Werdum ko, if he fights Overeem it could go either way, but I would be pulling for Rogers.

• Jstew3785 says:

I meant Fedor vs Werdum/Rogers for the interim HW title on Aug 15. Man, I messed that up big time.

• ThePerfectDrug says:

This is another sad bit of news today with Affliction going down today and now not being able to see Diaz fight on the 15th. It’s a true shame but we’ve grown used to seeing Joe Riggs pull out of bouts due to his back or other medication related issues. I recall a card up here in Halifax that he had to pull out due to his meds, I do hope that the head honchos in StrikeForce realize his riddled past of inconsistencies.Butttt on the other side of things I wanted to see Nick Diaz truly avenge his loss in the UFC to Riggs, hopefully the matchmakers at StrikeForce can find an alternative bout to keep the WW title up for grabs, first Alistair and now Riggs. There goes 2 out of 4 title bouts in their night of champions :(

Let’s hope something big happens because August was looking like an AMAZING month for MMA and in just one day it has gone down drastically