M-1 Global: Fedor will return to action ‘as soon as possible’

M-1 Global, a partner to Affliction in promoting the recently cancelled “Trilogy” event, has recently issued a sincere open apology to the fans that were planning on watching the highly anticipated show.

The company has stated that the cancellation of “Affliction Trilogy” came as much of a surprise to them as anyone else as they have recently revealed in a press release issued to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that they had been given no warning or notice of the events cancellation.

Fedor Emelianenko had no clue to the demise of the event as he and 35 members of his crew were a mile high, on their way to Anaheim, California – U.S.A. when they received the bad news.

The statement also confirms that Fedor was absolutely ready to go regardless of who his opponent may have been. This is perhaps the least surprising news of the recent events that have unfolded over the last few days. Eight days notice on an opponent? No problem.

M-1 Global understands how disappointed fans are that they will not be able to see Fedor in action and have promised to ensure that “The Last Emperor” will return as soon as possible.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That’s crazy! Fedor- The last to know? Way to do business, Tom.

Anyway, wonder if Dana will be giving him a call. Maybe this time Fedor’s management will be a bit more leniant about co-promotion, and Dana will let him have his Sambo.

• dpk says:

Fedor v Lesnar at 103, or 104???

I say 104 because that would give Brock a full training camp, and be a hell of a fight to go with Machida in LA.

I can hope.

• fanoftna33 says:

My guess is that we see Fedor fight for Strikeforc next, or Japan befor we see him in the ufc. Fedor has said mant times this this is just a job and he holds no true love of this sport. Now representing his country in Sambo is something he truly loves, and being told he cant do this must have been very offensive to him. As much as I want to see it I just dont see him ever fighting for the ufc.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Then again, after more thought, Aug 15th with Strikeforce seems to be “as soon as possible.”
    Showdown with Fabricio Werdum, anyone?

• fanoftna33 says:

Remember Werdum’s last fight there was a lot of talk about how he was trying to add some weight and he came in looking pretty flabby. With his extended time off maybe he has added some quality muscle to his his body(if he could just train with Overeem for a few months he could bulk up a lot quicker). I really hope to see a better prepaired Werdum hoever he fights.

• s00nertp says:

nice!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This is the closest thread I could find to post this– BREAKING NEWS

Seems Fedor’s management is calling out the UFC for negotiations!! Wait, don’t get too excited yet. Here are a few quotes from Finkelchtein himself:

“This the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about,” Finkelchtein stated in a recent release issued by his company, M-1 Global. “Fedor and I are here in the States. If they want to come out and fly here, we are ready to conduct negotiations.”

Here’s the kicker though, and guys, I’m sorry to do this:

“Of course, it still doesn’t imply we are ready to accept any conditions they’ll throw at us,” Finkelchtein said. “We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global.”

SOMETHING needs to happen, but with this co-promotional stipulation, we may NEVER see Fedor in the UFC

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Come on guys… I know it’s Sunday, but MMA never sleeps, LOL!! Let’s get some thoughts and comments!

• shotokai_ says:

I personally think it’s unlikely that we’ll see Fedor in the UFC, at least anytime soon. There are simply too many hurdles. Fedors true love of Sambo, the permanent image rights demands and the fact that Fedors management is insistent on him having cross-promotional fights (they must f*cking love the freak shows).
    The decision ultimately comes down to whether Dana White and the Fertitta’s can swallow a bit of their considerable ego’s and sign Fedor on unique terms, i.e. allow him to compete in Sambo and don’t ask for their usual complete consumption of fighters name and image rights. The cross-promotional idea will never, ever come to fruition but I’m sure Fedors management, and Fedor, could get over that if he is offered the right money – and of course the UFC can afford it. But then again the marketability of Fedor is still questionable to the casual fan. Could they eventually make him a huge fighter to all fans? Of course they could – Cain Velasquez is getting pretty popular with the casuals and that’s happened fairly quickly; and it would be much easier to market Fedor as he is the top p4p fighter. But is it worth the effort for the UFC? Is it worth the money, the special deal and the potential damage to their egos? To them it would be making special allowances for a single fighter – something they’ve never done before – and, effectively, “giving in” to Fedor and his management.
    I, like most hardcore fans, am of the opinion that it would definitely be worth the sacrifice but apparently Dana and the Fertittas, at least at the present moment, do not share this view. It’s time for them to get over themselves and sign the best fighter on the planet and have him compete where he should be competing – on the best platform in the MMA world. Let him compete in Sambo, f*ck the overbearing image rights and pay him the millions that he, comparitively, deserves. Then market him to f*ck and have him compete purely in superfights – see if Lesnar, Mir, Nog, Cain, Carwin are actually capable of giving him his first proper loss. Time for them to get on this sh*t.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I agree with what you said, except for one thing.

Dana & the Fertittas have built the UFC to where it now is today. They have done everything; Be it interviews on news channels, free promotion in the form of free numbered cards, went on Dr. f*cking Phil! I think it would really be them laying down and taking it if they bend over for this ONE guy. Dana didn’t even do it for Cro Cop. He did a one fight verbal, but that’s not in the same league as this. Shit, that’s not even the same sport!

I for one would lose respect for them IF they give in with the co-promotion. It’s getting to the point now that I could almost care less. That’s how sick of it I am. If Fedor can’t tell his management to shut up and make the jump, then let him go back to DREAM & M-1 and live out his days. It will eat him alive in the long run though, b/c he, as well as everyone else, will wonder if he could have made it in the UFC. There will be two distinct groups of people then. Those that COMPLETELY discredit him, and those that will die believing he was the greatest ever, without ever fighting the biggest promotions greatest ever.

• Madmax says:

Seeing that nearly all of the former PRIDE alumni have fared none to well in the OCTAGON, I dont see Fedor breaking the trend. Since you cant just put Fedor in with just anyone, even an “acclimation” fight might result in a loss.

I’m talking Cain V. Santos or Carwin. These guys are Beasts, and IMO could defeat Fedor. As to Lesnar, right now I’d make him the Fav in a fight with Fedor.

Mir as a first OCTAGON fight for Fedor??
    Thoughts??

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I like that fight. I really do, but how shitty to Randy, eh? That’s all Randy has wanted. It would only be right for Fedor to fight for the title first. After that, win, lose, or draw, I give him the fight with Randy. Forget Cain, Carwin, all of them. They haven’t earned it yet. Randy has. He needs and deserves this fight more than anyone.

It would be a slap in the face though for him to not fight Brock for the title first.

• fanoftna33 says:

what happens to the wamma belt if fedor loses a fight in the ufc. Is it like the strikeforce belts where thoes guys can lose to anybody but olny lose the belt in a strikeforce event? wamma doesnt even promote fights so would there belts go from promotion to promotion.
    Ozz I read the same comments and get the same vibe as all the rest of the times the ufc negoitated with fedor.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

My $.02 ? Who cares about WAMMA. Let them go down right along with Elite XC & Affliction. That, or give it to Strikeforce. Other than than that, it’ll be obsolete. That was the whole point of the unification bouts after UFC bought Pride. If the Pride guy though, regardless, he would be UFC Champ, not Pride.

I see this going nowhere. Fedor signed a deal with the Devil when he signed with M-1. Thats why the talks haven’t even involved him personnaly. I feel bad for him, b/c he is a really great and humble guy, but he’s deadlocked with M-1. Sometimes I wish he would just open his mouth though and tell us what’s really going on….

• fanoftna33 says:

I bet fedor cares about wamma, he is the champ, If mma is going to be bigger than boxing some day, then the ufc is going to have to start giving their champs the ok(like they did with chuck years ago it the pride tournament) to go outside the ufc and win some belts. Look at gsp, which 170 title coud he not win, have him collect a few and bring them back. I know it sounds easier than it could be but there has to be some middle ground.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Why does there have to be middle ground? That makes no sense. Nobody wants MMA to turn into boxing, with 30 different belts, blah blah blah, nobody gives a shit. In case you haven’t realized, boxing is slowly going away. The 18 – 30 yr old age group watches more MMA than boxing. That may not be true for EVERYONE, but statistics don’t lie.

Why the HELL do the UFC champs have to go outside? Why? They are the prestige organization. What do they have to prove to, LOL, Strikeforce or DREAM? That entire statement makes not one bit of sense. Sorry to be a dick, but that’s something that you think someone would have said 9 years ago. Not today!

• fanoftna33 says:

ther are qute a few fighters out there that could come in and have a great superfight with a ufc champ,Aoki vs Penn- Sheilds vs gsp(if shields wins a belt in strikeforce) Le vs Silva, I would love to see fights like this where the top 10 in the world can fight each other unlike now where we will never see some fights due to politics.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I wouldn’t call it politics though. I’d call it protecting your investment. Dana & Lorenzo built the UFC from nothing. They are now the undisputed king of MMA, and I never see that changing. You know it, I know it, and the fighters know it. If they want to be the best, they need to fight in the UFC.

That would be like me saying, “Damn, I wish I could fight Lyoto, but I would have a hard time beating people just to get to him.” So what do I do? I go create another promotion, knock out a few UFC rejects or cans, crown myself the X-Promotion LHW Champ, and say now I deserve to fight the UFC champ.

The hell with that. If they want to fight for the UFC belt, they need to sign with the UFC and stop bitching about co-promotion just so they can get a share of the revenue.

• metalmulisha says:

@Madmax “Mir as a first Octagon fight for Fedor.”

Sure if you want to see Mir get raped again.

• fanoftna33 says:

I just read mir might fight Kongo in december, hopefully frank submits him and doesnt try out his new striking that dude is a beast.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That would have to be 107. That would be great, being that it will take the rest of the year for him to recover from the mauling he got from the Vanilla Gorrila.

Kongo impresses me in one way- He has never been knocked out, and other than the TKO to Gilbert Yvel in 2004, his only losses have come by way of decision. 14-5 isn’t a bad record to boast, considering mir is on par at 12-4.

Another interesting fact is ALL of Mir’s losses have come by way of TKO due to punches

• fanoftna33 says:

I can see kongo taking this one if mir ‘s ego gets the better of him in this one. But really Mir should be able to duplicat the Antoni Hardonk fight here. This is a fight where I really like both fighters so all i like to see is a competive match.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Intersting point is Kongo has never been submitted, which is Mir’s strongpoint.

ALL of Mir’s losses have come by TKO, which is Kongo’s strongpoint, and Mir’s weakness.

• fanoftna33 says:

Yeah this looks like a bad match up for mir, but i am sure with a win here he is just 1 or 2 away from a title shot, kongo on the other hand needs a win. You cant hold his last fight to much against the guy because he was a very last minute replacement, but to lose to mir would really set him back.