Babalu vs. Mousasi for Strikeforce light heavyweight championship on Aug. 15

mousasiGreat news fight fans! The bout pitting Gegard Mousasi up against Renato “Babalu” Sobral has been salvaged, and this time it’s for all of the marbles.

Strikeforce has recently announced that Babalu will be defending his light heavyweight championship against Mousasi on the live broadcast portion of “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg“.

The event is scheduled for August 15 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and will air live on Showtime.

Sobral is on an impressive five fight win streak, notching victories over the likes of David Heath, Mike Whitehead, and Sokoudjou along the way. The title defense against Mousasi in August will be his first since obtaining the championship from Bobby Southworth in November of 2008.

Mousasi is currently riding a twelve fight win streak with recent stoppages over Melvin Manhoef, Denis Kang and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza to his credit. His last appearance saw him climb up to heavyweight after previously competing at middleweight where he dismantled a much larger Mark Hunt in the first round of their opening “Super Hulk Tournament” bout.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Somehow I knew they would find a way to salvage this

• EPIC WIN

• dpk says:

Nice, a great pick up by Strikeforce, but Part of me is hoping Mousasi doesn’t have too long of a contract with SF, so that he can still get to UFC sometime in the next 6-12 months.

• fanoftna33 says:

Strikeforce saves the day.

• fanoftna33 says:

He has stated previously that he would rather fight out of the ufc right now. He like being able to have his fights close together.

• Jstew3785 says:

This will probably be even better for Mousasi. I imagine he’ll get more exposure on Showtime than he would on PPV. They just had to figure out a way to salvage this fight. This is going to be so awesome. To me this makes up for Overeem pulling out of the card.

• shotokai_ says:

Wicked. This is a tough fight to call, with a capital T.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t like Babalu, never have. Going for Mousasi in this one. I like the idea of him staying out of the UFC too for a while. It’s better for us too b/c we get to see him fight more often.

• fanoftna33 says:

Babalu is a tough fight, like him or not. His wrestling is good, and submission defense is solid. I hope Mousasi wins but it will be tough.

• edub says:

Pow!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I know he’s a tough guy. However, I’d rather see Babalu & Tito go at it. That’s one fight that I hope they make happen.

• metalmulisha says:

For me this fight blows Babalu/Tito away.
    I have to wonder though what kind of a contract Mousasi signed with Strikeforce.
    Exactly how many fights the deal is for, because they obviously wouldn’t bring Mousasi in to fight for the title unless he signed some sort of long term deal.

Now they have to add Paul Daley or Jay Hieron to the card to fight Diaz I’d like them to bring in Gomi but he’ll probably go back to Shooto.
    It’s going to be interesting to see where the other guys who were on that Affliction card land.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Don’t hold your breath for anything exciting. This Strikeforce card is sinking faster than the Titanic. Apparently Josh Thomson’s leg is still broken and they might take him off the card if he’s not cleared to fight…..

• metalmulisha says:

Where did you see that at? As long as it wasn’t at B.E.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope thomson is not out. I havnt seen it but with all the crap going on this week i belive it.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

MMAJunkie. It had a write up on it. 5oz, don’t kill me for that. I really loathe that site. My armor is depleted from fueding with Nick Havoc, LOL

The only thing left to happen now is Gina & Cyborg miss weight

• fanoftna33 says:

You see that guy also, now there is someone who hates Dana White.

NO KIDDING!!! With a PASSION

• metalmulisha says:

I read the article at Junkie and Thomson sounded about as vague as he could be about whether or not he’ll be able to fight or not.
    I mean he should tell Strikeforce asap whether or not he’ll be able to fight so they can grab one of the Lightweights who got dicked on the Affliction card.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder what happened for him to just now feel he couldnt fight. Usually these types of things happen in threes, so hopefully there is no more bad news for the strikeforce card.

• Jstew3785 says:

Imagine if Carano or Cyborg got injured. Would StrikeForce close for business too? Just kidding obviously, but that would really suck.

• fanoftna33 says:

jstew you know how if a pitcher is throwing a perfect game you dont say anything. I hope you did not jinx it, because you know how this week has been going.

• Jstew3785 says:

I hope not too. I would probably be banned from this message board LOL.

• youfightme... says:

Babalu… Say bye bye belt!

• egad81 says:

So if Mousasi wins… how high up does he climb on the P4P rankings?

• Jstew3785 says:

To crack the top 10, he’s need to beat someone top 10. Babalu is a top 10 LHW, but he is definitely not top 10 p4p in the world.

• Jstew3785 says:

I meant he’d, not he’s

• fanoftna33 says:

If he beats babalu, then wins the superhulk tournament I would guess that gets him the 10 spot. That would be a 15 fight win streak and 2 titles.

• PlagueAngel says:

Do you guys remember when Sobral last fought in the UFC and he held the anaconda choke on David Heath? If you listen to the crowd after his win, there is this guy screaming at Sobral of how angry he was for choking Heath for the extended amount of time. Instant classic! Sobral vs Ortiz would be instant hit because both guys are jerks and egomaniacs. Well, maybe Ortiz is the egomaniac!

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah, some geezer was sitting near a mic screaming Babalu you asshole! funny shit.
    chuffed this fight is back on, gonna be a ball, big fan of both fighters. i’d go with Mousasi as Babalue can still be a little rekless. any news on a replace ment for Diaz yet?

• shotokai_ says:

Yeah Babalu is a scary dude.
    Whoever said above his submission defense is “solid” is understating to say the least. His submission defense is top and his submission offense is pretty sick as well – 18 wins by sub and he tapped Shogun with a guillotine.
    I’ve always thought Babalu is an underrated fighter with the potential to be a real threat to any LHW in the world and although Mousasi is a very talented guy make no doubt about it this is real, genuine test for him.
    In my opinion the biggest threat to a dangerous striker are well versed wrestlers who can hold their own on the feet (hence why I think Hendo is the guy most likely to beat Silva at MW); which is exactly what Babalu is.
    I also think that the fact this fight is taking place in a cage now, rather than a ring, is somewhat significant and has to be seen as an advantage for the grappler. It’s a pick em’ fight, in my view, and I think if pushed I’d have to go for Babalu.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I used to be a fan of Babalu, believe it or not. BUT, as an AVID Ortiz fan, once I found out they were fueding, I had to leave that boat. I change my previous post and am now going with Babalu. I don’t know what the deal is, I just can’t get behind Mousasi.

As far as posting the info about Thomson, sorry to kill anyone’s dreams, but I had to share what I saw. Can you imagine what would happen if Gina or Cyborg miss weight? What the hell happened to night of champions?

Like I said before, Dana White has found the Genie and made two of his 3 wishes. Dream is F****d next.

Maybe this is the curse for putting a Women’s bout ahead of the Mens?

• fanoftna33 says:

This is definarly going to let us know if Mousasi ia legit or not. I really liked how well Babalu handled sokodju in the last affliction fight, he wasnt afraid of the power and wore him out. Good job Shotokai I forgot about the fight being in a cage, but hopefully Mousasi is prepaired for that.

• metalmulisha says:

ozz_the_powerful says:

I think you’re right Dream is on shaky ground to say the least, but it’s got nothing to do with anything Dana or the UFC did it is their own doing.
    Their October event is the last on their TV Deal in Japan and I wonder how many shows they’ll have left.

If they fold it’ll be a shame they put on awesome shows.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

metalmulisha says: “If they fold it’ll be a shame they put on awesome shows.”

Completely agreed. I couldn’t see Strikeforce necissarily going under, but who knows. They could always go back to the way they were and do strictly kick boxing. I agree though that we do need a few “proving grounds” or “farm leagues,” if you will.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

We need a new topic to discuss.

C’mooooon Corey!!

• fanoftna33 says:

They way its been going some huge news will break again soo.

• metalmulisha says:

I don’t know why you’d be thinking Strikeforce could fold.
    They make a profit they’re not in the red. They were making money promoting MMA events before they were on TV.
    The company’s not run like EliteXC was or Affliction’s MMA promotion they don’t have a huge overhead with an insane amount of employees and they’re not going to be paying a guy like Kimbo Slice $500,000 a fight or Tim Sylvia $800,000.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wow. The press conference on Friday is actually going to be the day of the UFC 101 weigh ins. The press will be there, as well as Dana AND Lorenzo. Most of the questions, however, will be fielded from the fans sitting in the crowd!

That’s just awesome. Fight Club members only though.

• metalmulisha says:

The UFC 101 Weigh ins will be the next Friday.

Completely understood Metal,

I wasn’t insinuating they would go under. Not at all. I even like SF. Like I said 2 posts up, I couldn’t see Strikeforce necissarily going under, but who knows.
    Coker, like him or not, does a great job managing SF and not letting his guys get too greedy.

• fanoftna33 says:

The press confrence will be this friday.

• Jstew3785 says:

Just heard Josh Thomson will probably pull out of his bout with Melendez. His broken leg still is healed.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, woops. Either way, we’ll be getting some good answers for the next few weeks. From the fans is really what I want to hear though. They ask the real questions the reporters won’t

• Jstew3785 says:

still isn’t healed.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’ve got to start proofreading myself.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

At least you didn’t miss a date by a whole week. :(

• fanoftna33 says:

A lot of reporters have to keep thoes guys kind of happy I think. If the fighters dont like the questions and promoters are getting questioned to harshly the reporters will get booted. I think its more of a fine lin that fans like me dont really get to see to often. I would guarentee you that a lot of the reporters out there know some cool things they cant share.

• BigDave says:

ive always liked Babalu but Mosasi will destroy him. he is just to much better in all aspects of the fight game that Babalu would need to get lucky to pull out a win. I say Mosasi by 1st round tko.

• fanoftna33 says:

I see a more even fight, maybe third rd tko Mousasi.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

It’s either going to be an all out war, or a quick KO. That’s why fights like this are hard to pick. These are the ones that should get fans on their feet though

• MMAsubb says:

Although I have a lot of respect for Babalu’s skills, unless he just out muscles gegard along the cage, I see Mousasi definitely taking this fight in decisive fashion.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think he can out muscle him, did you see how Mousasi handled a very large Mark Hunt?

• MMAsubb says:

you are very right, I definitely mis-worded that, but I’m just thinking he might be able to use a lower leverage point against a longer guy who has little cage experience, but Mousasi is deceivingly strong also!

• edub says:

Still got Babalu by decision. Even more so now that it is in a cage. I see another potential star getting schooled in the mma game in this fight.

I hope im wrong. Mousasi has a world of potential. And no matter what happens he will learn from this fight and keep getting better.

• fanoftna33 says:

well the experience will be with Babalu for sure, I wont count either out though. The thing I cant get out of my head is the kick to Jacare” face in the Dream tournament. I just see Mousasi walking away from this fight like that.

• edub says:

Hahah no kick like the one against Jacare I dont wanna see a DQ!

But yea I hope Gegard brings his lunchpale because if he doesnt put Babalu away in the first round, then he is gonna be in for a long night.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think I have seen Babalu ever go the distance and look good at the end of three. He seems to be the type of fighter that always trys to end it, thus losing a bit of steam after a few rounds. My guess would be if there is not a ko very early, Babalu gases out by round 4.

• metalmulisha says:

Does anyone know if this is going to be Mousasi’s first fight in a cage?

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont know about how many cage fights he has had, but his two loses were by armbar, If I was Babalu tahts all I would train for the next few weeks.

• fanoftna33 says:

This guy(Mousasi) is like Fedro, I dont think fighting on the spiked platform from flash gordon would bother him.