Anderson Silva has signed to box Roy Jones Jr.

roy jones jr.UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva (24-4) has made it clear that he plans on retiring from the UFC once his contract expires. As of now, Anderson has four fights with the Ultimate Fighting Championships, the most recent on August 8th in Philadelphia against contender Forrest Griffin.

However, according to Anderson himself in a recent conversation with Fighters Only Magazine, he has no intentions of retiring from hand-to-hand combat altogether once he’s through in the Ocatagon.

It’s been talked about for close to a year now and Silva has recently confirmed that there is no question about it; he’s going to box Roy Jones Jr. As a matter of fact, contracts have been inked and it’s only a matter of time from here.

“It is undoubted that I will face Roy Jones,” revealed Silva. “We have talked too much, have signed some contracts and we want to make it the sooner the better. It’s not for money or spotlight, it’s for my desire.

“I watch Roy Jones since he competed as an amateur and in the Olympic Games. I’m looking forward to this fight to put in the ring everything I know, to show my students in the future that I understand what I may say over this or that and don’t seem a pirate parrot.”

• fanoftna33 says:

This week cannot get any weirder.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Awesome. This is one boxing match I would actually watch.

Next is Torres vs Mayweather. I’m serious, by the way. Those two have been trading some serious barbs lately.

• redwire says:

“…show my students in the future that I understand what I may say over this or that and don’t seem a pirate parrot”

Uhhh… What? Is this a cool phrase that I’m out of the loop on? Should I start using this in my daily lexicon?

• fanoftna33 says:

At least 18 more months before hi contract is up, plus the ufc if they know he wont re sign with them they will give him the Huerta treatment and make him wait up to a year I belive before the last fight. Then he has to wait for the 90 day non compete clause. So 18 months if he is lucky.

• Gurthee says:

All the more reason to root for Forrest in their upcoming match. If you want to box then go be “just a boxer”, period. I’m so sick of MMA guys wanting to become boxers. It seems like a step backward in their evolution as MMA fighters. Now Mousassi wants to box too? Must be the money talking. Too bad these guys don’t make more $ in MMA. Maybe that would stop all these guys from wanting to “just box”. Sad.

• Gurthee says:

Not to mention, Roy Jones Junior hasn’t been a relevant boxing contender in years. Hope RJJ KTFO Silva and teaches him a lesson.

• fanoftna33 says:

My money would be on Jones depending on how long it takes to make it happen.

• edub says:

Man I hope Torres doesnt box Mayweather.

Make Mayweather fight you in an mma match.

I dont think it would be close in either.

Anderson is a great striker so this could be a close fight although I would make RJJ the heavy favorite.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think any MMA fighter right now could take Maywesther in a boxing match, hell there isnt a boxer around that can do it.

• Silva/Jones makes sense in that its an MMA fighter with very good hands wanting to test his skills against a past-his-prime but still dangerous boxer.

Torres wants no part of Mayweather in a boxing match. Hell, most boxers don’t want any part of PBF.

• Rich S. says:

ughhh..

I’ve been saying it from day 1.. Anderson can’t win this..

Spider can’t hang in the ring with RJ.. Just as RJ could never hang in the octagon with Spider..

I admit, it does help a bit that Spider is doing this so late in Jones’ career, but still, I don’t like his chances..

• fanoftna33 says:

Silva and jones really want this fight but both are very respectful and are handeling it like two pros. Torres and Mayweather would just boil down to a name calling pissing contest, and not in Torres favor.

• edub says:

After some thinking I realize this is my biggest problem with mma fighters going to box boxers.

MMA is still new and still has critics that say it does not take as much skill. Brock Lesnar does not help that argument being the HW champ and only having 5 fights. Tim Sylvia getting knocked out by an old Ray Mercer also adds fuel to the fire. KJ Noons who was thought to have amazing standup just got beat by a journeyman whos not even important enough for me to remember his name(he is im just an idiot).

The more fighters that cross over to go box are painting a picture that looks like they are fighting just to prove they are good enough to go box IMO(which we know simply isn’t true, but it could look this way to casual fans).

If these guys wanna really compete against boxers that bad they should try and bait them into fighting an mma bout or a kick boxing match. Not be stupid and go fight these guys who havent been training in 8 other disciplines there whole career.

(Im puting this in both threads.)

• fanoftna33 says:

good point edub, this also helps people realise how different these two sports really are. On a side note Mercer may be old but he was the best(or top 3) at one time, and Sylvia took him very lightly.

• Angry Mike says:

Most MMA fighters aren’t competitive in K-1 and vice versa. The differences are too big for fighters to easily transition. The diffences between boxing and MMA are even greater. Maybe Silva’s bored, but getting your ass handed to you in front of the world is a pretty dramatic cure.

• “Most MMA fighters aren’t competitive in K-1 and vice versa.”

I dunno, I’d say it’s more likely for an MMA fighter to do well in a K-1 bout than it would be for a K-1 fighter to win an MMA fight.

CroCop is the only K-1 level kickboxer I can think of off-band that found lasting success in MMA while Rampage, Kawajiri, et al. has garnered some sucess inside the K-1 ring.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL @ “getting your ass handed to you in front of the world is a pretty dramatic cure”

That’s perfect. Personally, I don’t care for A Silva. Never have. He’s great at his game though, that cannot be argued. But this is getting out of hand. Next we’ll have Shaq wanting to be a nose guard for the Chicago Bears

• impact1 says:

I can see Anderson getting frustrated at some point and accedentally throwing a kick – or a vicious knee when they are in the clinch.

Is he going to box barefoot?

If AS does happen to win – the boxing world will be up in arms. This has the potential to be a win-win or lose-lose situation for mainstream boxing.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dont forget about Gary Goodridge, he has had success in both. Not to cro cops level though.

• fanoftna33 says:

Phil Baroni acually did that once during a toughman fight, he got his guy down and threw a knee to the head. The place looked crazy for a while after that. At least I am pretty sure it was Baroni, this was years ago.

• edub says:

Semmy Schilt has success in mma and hes probably the best hw kickboxer on the planet.

I think K1 is a lot closer to mma than boxing is though obviously.

• fanoftna33 says:

Forgot all about Semmy, great all around fighter there.

• metalmulisha says:

In case you guys are interested CNBC has that new UFC documentary on tonight.
    10 pm here on the east coast.

• edub says:

? whats the new one about?

• fanoftna33 says:

its a continuation from the last 1 I belive, from blood sport to big time. When they left off last time Randy was still out. A lot has changed but I get the feeling they will still play up the brutality aspect a bit.

• metalmulisha says:

Not sure exactly I just happened to see a clip earlier when I was watching the news and they were interviewing Rich Franklin.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rich is one of the best speakers for mma you will find out there. I just find it tough to watch these shows because you get the feeling the reporters are feeling superior to mma fans.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Silva is a bafoon and Jones will smash him in to oblivion.

• fanoftna33 says:

I was thinking about good mma strikers and Cro Cop vs Arlovski would be a great fight to have now. If Arlovski could come in top form against a serious cro cop it would be great.

• s00nertp says:

I’ll watch the match of Anderson vs JOnes online after the fight, if it is good. I’d rather see a boxer fight in an MMA match than the other way around.

Anderson has elbows, knees, kicks, punches, sick submissions. And he wants to go in the ring with just one of those abilities?

stupid boring. ugh.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That’s one guy I wish, for whatever reason, that the UFC would bring back. Andrei Arlovski

• edub says:

Maybe before the Brett Rogers KO, but now who knows.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I still wonder just what the hell happened in that fight. Andrei used to be one of my fav’s, and I still like him. I just hope he gets his chin back, if that’s even possible. I always liked watching his fights

• fanoftna33 says:

Arlovski is a very good fighter, and for a few years there was a complete beast. I belive he had back to back ko loses then went on a tera. I would like to see that again. I just loved his entrance in the ufc. Like the undertaker in the wwe it gives you chills.

• edub says:

Close back2back losses to Tim Sylvia. One by KO. Unless your talkin about when he got Kod by Pedro Rizzo and than got Tkod by Ricco but those weren back2back I think.

• fanoftna33 says:

I was talking about the older Rizzo/ Ricco ones.

• edub says:

Got ya.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch with Werdum though, that was a close fight. He needs a win to get the confidence up. and I think Werdum still needs a opponent, although Rogers should get it first.

• Hermm, I dunno about this one. Silva is the man, no doubt. But taking on even a 50 year old Roy Jones in a boxing match is dangerous. Roy has spent his entire life boxing at the highest level. I do not see this going over so hot for Anderson. Put the two of them in the octagon and we have a different story, but I dunno about in the boxing ring.