Wagnney Fabiano vs. Erik Koch set for WEC 43

A featherweight bout pitting decorated Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Wagnney Fabiano up against WEC newcomer Erik Koch has been inked for WEC 43.

The news of the match-up between the two comes via Fabiano himself who revealed that the contracts have recently been signed for the bout in an interview with Tatame.com.

WEC 43 will take place on September 2 from the Covelli Centre in Youngstown, Ohio. The event is set to feature a main event for the WEC lightweight interim championship between Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson.

Fabiano has put together an impressive 12-1 record with seven of those victories coming by way of submission. His sole defeat came came in the form of a split decision loss at the hands of Jeff Curran back in 2006, and the talented Brazilian has rebounded with eight consecutive victories.

Koch is undefeated up to this point in his career, sporting an unblemished record of 7-0 fighting in the Midwest region of the United States. Like Fabiano, the bulk of Koch’s victories have also come by tap out.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Honestly, I’ve never heard of either one of these guys before, but it sounds like an intriguing, technical war on the ground. I like those matches from time to time; The ones that have the crazy slips and rolls on the ground. Much respect to the practitioners of BJJ.

• fanoftna33 says:

Ive seen Fabiano fight before, but it was a dull fight he won by decision. Hopefully it is a cool bjj battle, but as we have seen in the past when we get two bjj guys it usually is kind of slow.

• Jstew3785 says:

Both of these guys are awesome. Ozz, not ripping on you, but I can’t believe you’ve never heard of Wagnney Fabiano. I’ve seen his fights and trust me, he’s a complete badass. His last fight was boring but he is stll an awesome young fighter with a lot of talent. This will be a good one

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I knew I’d catch hell for that one, and rightfully so!!

For some reason the name just didn’t catch with me. I looked at a pic of him after I posted though and was like, “Shit…. They’re gonna get me for that one.” I WAS hoping it would go under the radar……

The last I heard of him was in the IFL. He was making commotion over there before they went defunct.

He may be the one to give Brown trouble in the future.

Jstew, thanks for staying on top of me, LOL

• meatloaf says:

Saying you’ve never heard of either of these guys tells me your entire exposure to MMA is through the Ultimate Fighter.

• Meatloaf, that is ridiculous. Neither of these guys are household names. Fabiano has more of a name because he has climbed the ranks of the WEC, but Erik Koch has only fought in small shows in the midwest and has never had a fight in the WEC. Not exactly someone many people are going to know about, no matter how hardcore of a MMA fan they are.

Fabiano, yes, hardcore fans are going to know him for sure. But Erik Koch? Get real.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Meatloaf, I blasted you on another thread already. I’ve proved my knowledge on here, and I’ve learned a thing or two along the way. That’s why we come to these sites.

You act like the typical guy that frequents MMAJunkie. That’s the whole reason I left that site. It’s flooded with a bunch of people that don’t want to do anything but tear other people down.

I have all the back-up I need here, as I enjoy everyone’s posts and comments, as I’m sure they enjoy mine. Please, go back to whatever site you came from and leave the real discussions to people that have been around MMA long enough to understand it as a whole.

• meatloaf says:

Fighttrends I clearly stated if you’ve never heard of EITHER fighter.
    Why you tried to steer my comments to me saying if you’ve never heard of Erik Koch your an idiot is a case of someone seeing what you want to see just to disagree.
    OK Koch is a bit obscure I was at the XFO show he was on a couple years ago that’s why I’ve heard of him but come on Fabiano?
    The guys not only has fought in the WEC already but he was on TV several times fighting in the IFL and fought in some big TKO shows in Canada before that.

• Jak says:

With all that has happened this week i forgot all about the upcoming WEC fights.

I really wish we could see a Fabianno/Aldo fight for contender position, it’s one of those times i would really like to see teammates fight each other.

Fabianno didn’t look that great in his last fight, hopefully he gets a good win and will take on the winner of Brown/Aldo.

Man i love the WEC!

• twyg says:

Instead of ripping someone for being honest why not just give your thoughts on the upcoming fight, which by the way sounds like it could be a really good ground war. I think that it will come down to the stand up game though because both are good on the ground that the difference is going to be whose stand game is better

• dpk says:

I know that Aldo v Brown is up next this fall for the title, I’m surprised that Fabianno isn’t fighting someone a little more established to build him for a follow on shot if Aldo can’t beat Brown. Gamburyan would have given him a recognizable opponent, but I really want to see him against Faber.

I can’t wait for the day that WEC is folded into UFC, because then fighers like Brown, Aldo, Faber, Fabianno will get the attention and publicity that they deserve.

• nope says:

MeatLoaf = Debbie Downer. Guy is rippin on everyone in all articles, lol relax man. And who gives a shit if his only exposure is the ultimate fighter. What if dude just started watchin yesterday or 2 months ago.

• I can’t wait to see Aldo fight again. I would love to see him fight Garcia before brown. I don’t think he has the tools to be Brown just yet. Regardless, that kid always brings it and is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters.

• egad81 says:

I remember way back when this site first started. Boy do I miss that. Now I see the same 3 trolls posting multiple times on each story so i just dont even bother reading most of the comments anymore.

• meatloaf says:

I’m with you egad81.

What happened to the people who used to post here Hexrei, JollyDv, Ktru, and some of the others. Even if you disagreed with their opinions at least they had something interesting to read in there posts.

This site has really gone down hill. Filled up with teenagers it seems.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I remember all those guys. I used to float between sites. Like I said, I came from Junkie. I got sick of exactly what you guys were saying up there. Everyone tries to cut each other down and berate the other.

maetloaf, just for the record, so you and I understand each other, I’ve been a registered user on here for A LONG TIME. I started watching MMA in 96, and would like to think I have a good knowledge of it. You blasted me earlier in more than one thread saying my only knowledge is Ultimate Fighter. You honestly couldn’t be farther from the truth.

We have our fair share of spats on here, but we always bury it in the end. That’s how it should be. I do agree, to a point, that there are some teenagers on here. Usually the daytime comments are pretty good though.

• Moving on from this dick measuring contest, WEC 42 and 42 are looking fuggin’ stacked.

Torres/Bowles and Benavidez/Cruz on 42 and Ceronne/Henderson, Page/Tamura plus Wagnney/Koch and Hominick/Taurosevicius on 43 make me happy to be an MMA fan.

• Cory Brady says:

There are Debbie-Downers that populate every comment board on the Internet. They normally have nothing insightful to offer outside of “This place has gone downhill”, or “This article sucks”, or “This place sucks”…. some people are just flat out unhappy no matter what happens in life. On the bright side, commentators like ozz, sergio, metalmulisha, fanoftna, Rich S., edub, dpk, angry mike, hindsight and countless others have served to make 5 Oz’s one of the most intelligent places to post on the net. We welcome good respectful conversation, and welcome those that have nothing positive to say to take the day off.

• Rich S. says:

Like always, WEC is adding awesome fights to awesome cards.. Wagnney’s last fight was definitely boring.. But he’s a great fighter and he has all the potential to become champion.. His Jiu Jitsu is sick and he’s got some nice striking. Hell, my ears are still ringing from that brutal knockout over Lierly.. I hope he can get an impressive victory in dramatic fashion here and show the WEC’s FW division that he’s here to stay..

Oh, and guys, if all you want to do is put other people down, you’ve come to the wrong place.. I’ve been a reader here for as long as I can remember. These forums have always been respectful, despite different opinions and beliefs, don’t pollute this site now.. If he doesn’t know who Wagnney is, why not inform him on who he is and what he does, rather than insulting his intelligence on a sport he obviously loves?
    It’s easy, really..