Scott Coker on Fedor vs. Overeem: ‘Let’s build that fight up’

alistair overeem“FEDOR SIGNS WITH STRIKEFORCE”, screamed the headlines all over the Internet yesterday afternoon. After close to two weeks of frantic behind the scenes negotiations with every single one of the major power players in mixed martial arts, Strikeforce ultimately won the bidding war for the hottest free agent in the sport.

Did Strikeforce win over the desperately sought after Russian with the amount of dollars they could offer up? Perhaps we’ll truly never know the definitive answer to that question, but Dana White sounded fairly certain during a press conference held this past Friday that the UFC had offered up Fedor Emelianenko a deal financially incomparable to any other he would receive within the industry, and he sure seemed like he meant it too.

At this point it’s a commonly known fact that the one sticking point that prevented Emelianenko from fighting for the UFC was co-promotion.  Fedor and M-1 Global insisted on co -promotion. A complete non-sticking point for Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker as he recently explained to TapouT Radio.

“I think that was something that was really important to M-1,” said Coker. “They were looking for a partner, just like they had with Affliction. I think branding is important to them, and I think we’ve provided a good platform for them to do some good branding in America. We’ve done co-promotions before so it wasn’t really an issue to us. I think it just worked out. When two companies have common goals in mind, good things can happen.”

Although the deal with Strikeforce is an exclusive one, it’s far from a contract signed in blood as Fedor is currently contractually obligated to fight for Strikeforce for just one year.

“Basically it’s three fights over the next year, and we’ll start in the Fall some time,” confirmed Coker.

Another question on the minds of many fight fans all over the world is, ‘Where can I watch Fedor fight? Will he be on CBS, PPV?’. While the specifics have yet to be completely ironed out at this early point, Coker knows for certain where you can catch him in his first outing under the Strikeforce banner, “The very first fight that Fedor fights will be on Showtime, and then the roll-out of television from there forward hasn’t been determined 100%, but his first fight will be on Showtime.”

Contrary to what many may think, the possibility of Fedor walking into a title fight with Strikeforce is looking very unlikely at this time. Strikeforce would rather let this one properly marinate before throwing it on the grill.

“[Fedor] and Alistair Overeem should be an amazing fight, and people that haven’t seen Alistair, you know, he’s an amazing fighter,” explained Coker during the conversation with the guys (and gal) from TapouT Radio. “I think we should do a couple of fights and build that one up, and then let their champion fight our champion, and let’s see what happens.

“We’re hoping that Alistair will be ready to fight in the Fall, and we can put him on one of the cards with Fedor, and not fight against each other but fight against someone else, and let’s build that fight up”

• dpk says:

Sweet, Fedor v Buentello this fall. Seriously, who are they going to put Fedor up against to build this fight? The other part of this is that Overeem has to actually fight on a Strikeforce card. The fight they need to worry about building is Fedor v Rogers fight, that has the potential to be bigger than any of their other matches.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Overeem is a joke to me. Blast me if you want to, I don’t care. The record speaks for itself. How embarrassing to not defend your title in 21 months. KO losses from LIGHT heavyweights (Liddell, Rua x2)

What is it with this guy that people like? BOOOOOO

dpk is right on the mark with Fedor vs Rogers. That’s going to be a war, and I think we’ll finally get to see what Rogers has in the gas tank.

• s13 says:

Ozz ozz ozz, If I’m not mistaken overeem lost to those guys when he was in that weight class…didn’t know it was a big deal to lose to two of the top lhw’s in their prime. He gained alot of weight and reinvented himself as a heavyweight…just remember you heard it first here, if anyone beats fedor, its overeem. Check out some of his HW fights and look at how much sharper and QUICKER he is even though he’s 250lbs.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Touch`e!!

I don’t necissarily think Overeem would be the one to beat him. I do however think that for some reason Rogers is going to land something that either wakes him up and brings the beast out of him, or puts him to sleep. I’m mush more interested in that fight.

• G-DUB says:

As much as I booooooo Fedor’s decision to sign with Strikeforce, Fedor vs. Overeem is a great matchup and will undoubtedly test Fedor’s skills. Overeem is a straight-up threat. The ridiculous weight and muscle gain is extremely fishy (to say the least), but I believe Overeem is now a legitimate HW. Just watch that fight against CroCop where he knocked his testicles into his throat. Regardless of those illegal blows, Overeem was controlling that matchup and was well on his way to a KO victory. Sure, CroCop is not the fighter he used to be … but I was very impressed with Overeem’s composure and strength. Don’t sleep on Overeem …. he has a decent chance against an aging Fedor and I can’t see how any serious MMA fan can poo-poo this matchup.

• s13 says:

you’re only more interested in it because he put arlovski to sleep. Rogers hasn’t been tested everywhere (ground game) and I’m sure he’s nowhere near as nimble as fedor on the ground or alistair for that matter. Alistair has a much better shot at beating fedor than brett. Remember, knocking out arlovski is about as hard Ms.J from america’s next top model at a swimsuit summit. I mean its bad when you grow a beard because you think it will cushion the blow lol. I like andre and all don’t get me wrong, but I’d much rather see alistair vs fedor which is why scott coker is building that fight up. I’m sure fedor’s first fight will be vs brett rogers. After he disposes of Brett he will face alistair. Don’t get me wrong again, i’d like nothing more than to see fedor get stomped now because he obviously doesn’t give a damn about the fans.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Agreed, s13

I am in no way shape or form on the bandwagon of Rogers. Personally, I don’t like the guy, at all. Me and his trainer actually traded a few barbs on his last write up on here, LOL.

LOL @ “it will cushion the blow”

Both of them have the chances of being great fights, and I as much as you would like to see Fedor get beat for what’s been going on. About Bretts ground game, thats exactly what me and his trainer went round for round about. He tried to tell me the guy would do good against Brock!! C’,mon!!

• Jak says:

I never understand that whole “he lost at LHW”…. ?

I would understand if he gassed and lost decisions, but he kept getting KTFO and submitted. People disregard those fights because they were at LHW, but what else has he done recently to make Overeem such the top HW?

Buentello in ’07, Cro Cop, Goodridge?

I guess i’m the only one who doesn’t really think that is top competition.

Not to mention that he hasn’t once defended the belt in almost 2 years and that this will likely turn out like Barnett, we’ll wait and wait and wait. then they’ll announce it, and then they will replace Overeem at the last minute with some lesser opponent. :(

• metalmulisha says:

You people who keep bringing up this Overeem hasn’t defended the belt in almost two years.
    Please tell me who was he going to defend against from Nov.2007 when he won the belt until June of this year when he was scheduled but injury forced him out?
    Who in between that time in Strikeforce could he have defended against?

That’s right No one Strikeforce had no other heavyweight comp. for him to fight until recently and now it happens his hand is injured.
    So that’s why he was given permission to go fight in Dream, because they had no one for him to fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’ll give you that. That’s the promotions fault, but seriously, why even have a heavyweight division if you only have ONE PERSON!!??

You’re telling me that Overeem was the ONLY Heavyweight they had? Even if that’s true, how WEAK is that!! Like they couldnt have had someone go up in weight or brought someone else in to fight.

You can’t tell me that Overeem was the only HW on their roster.

• fanoftna33 says:

As much as I like Buentello as a fighter I would not like to see him fight Fedor, although the revenge factor is there( Buentello destroying baby Fedor) it is not a fight I would like to see or a fight a fight Buentello has earned.

• moosebaby02 says:

Hmmmmmm!!!!! if your getting knocked out and made to tap at LHW why all of a sudden is Overeem is such a dangerous threat is a HW with bigger guys and a legit threat to stop fedor???? This is alot of wishfull thinking going on here. Jak ozz bang on again

• moosebaby02 says:

Sooooooooo….Pen vs Florain- ken flo
    spider vs forest- spider
    i almost for got that was this weekend

• edub says:

Moose Im hoping for exact opposite.
    Penn and Griffin.
    However, I think its gonna be Spider and Penn. I think Penn is gonna demolish Kenflo too.

• edub says:

Im still waiting for Overeem to obtain a license again in America. We’ll see if everything he put on is natural by then.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

edub, I hate comments like that, but this is one time I actually wonder the same thing. He bulked up REALLY fast. But he didn’t just bulk, he kept his tone. That fight against Goodridge, look at his eyebrow area. See how it’s all poofy and “neanderthal like?” It’s actually a tell-tale sign.

Go ahead and blast me, but bad breath, yellow whites of eyes, and a protruding ridge of the eye orbital area are signs. I’m just saying…..

• edub says:

The orbital bone is a good one, but a better one is the back. His back is just massive now.

• moosebaby02 says:

edub i want forest to win soooooo bad. just because if he does i know he wont be retairing to fight a washed up roy jones. i love ken fol. think he is great for the sport as an ambasodor, but i will have to admit not being a penn fan he is looking GREAT with his training sessions right now and might be on track to where we all as mma fans would love see him at. love the fact that he moved his camp and is now recognizing his only flaw (cardio) and is addressing it. it could be bad news for kenny.
    by the way go Johny Hendricks. love that guy

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I am absolutely pulling for Forrest in this one. Guaranteed to be a great match. There’s so many different ways it could go. I’d really like to see them stand and bang, but who knows.

I’m sick of Fedor already…. Can we please get a UFC 101 thread going?

• mikeclem says:

Why Overeem stuggled @ 205-

He had to cut an extreme amount of wieght to make 205.
    He walks around @ 220+.
    Loosing to Rua and Liddle shouldnt be anything to be ashamed about.
    Plain and simple he just cut WAY to much weight.

Why hes popular-

Not from his fights with Buentello, Goodridge , and Cro Cop, but more from his K-1 rules match ko of K-1 HW champion Badr Hari and controversial decesion loss to 2008 GP Champion Remy Bonjasky.

Steriod Alligations-

Hes always been a big guy. I mean he’s 6’5. How many 6’5 guys do you know that weigh 205lbs. Most people think that he went from 205 to 250 wich is incorrect. As i stated before he walked around @ 220+. In his match against Remy he weighed in @ 235. Im not saying that he’s not juiced , but going from 220-ish to 235 in two years is not that big of a jump! Not to metion that when he was fighting at 205 he didnt do much weight training and now he does.

Brett Rodgers-
    Wow. People would realy rather see Rodgers vs Fedor than Fedor vs Overeem. Wow.
    I personally would like to see strikeforce sign Arlovski and Match AA vs Overeem. And the same thing will happen in that match that happend in the Brett Rodgers vs AA match. Rodgers is no doubt an up and comming Hw. Keyword up and comming . He’ll have is time , But in no way, shape, or form is he ready for Fedor at this stage in his career!

Strikeforce has alot of options for Fedor at this point , or atlest they have options to build the Overeem, Fedor fight. Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski are still availible . Not to mention Bobby Lashley. And they already have Werdum. Barnett is still a possibility (not likely though) IMO that rivals the Ufc Hw Division! Now that they are partnering with Dream look for SF to give Ufc a jog for there money.

1st SF show-
    Werdum vs Fedor
    Overeem vs Arlovski

2nd(maybe 3rd) SF show –
    Overeem vs Fedor

Or they could even have a Hw tournament
    Buentello vs Sylvia
    Werdum vs Overeem
    AA vs Yvel
    Fedor vs Rodgers

• moosebaby02 says:

ummmmmm the spider is 6’2 and walks around 230-235 lbs, forrest is 6’3 and walks around 235-240 lbs oh and he beat rua…….. soooooooo WHY as i posted before did overeem struggle at 205?????????

• moosebaby02 says:

oh im with ozz on his neanderthal like looks

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Why Overeem stuggled @ 205-
    He had to cut an extreme amount of wieght to make 205.
    He walks around @ 220+.

15 pounds is an extreme amount of weight to cut? Really?

6’5″ and 205 he should have been a MONSTER. cutting 15lbs is nothing.

Walking around at 220, to a FIGHT WEIGHT of 235 may not seem like much, but he NOW walks around at 260. So walking around at a 40lb difference in 2 years is fairly substantial to me.

I do agree with you about the HW possibilities though. Good points!

• mikeclem says:

The Spider actualy walks around @ about 210 or so. Forest is somwhere around 230-235 like you stated.

Plain and simple Americans are just better at cutting wieght period. The weight issues are why he struggled at 205. I sayed struggled lightly , every fight he lost durring that time was to a top 10 or top 5 guy. Granted , he probally shouldve pulled out a W against one of them(Liddell, Arona, Shogun x2, Lil Nog x2) , but its not like he was fighting cans. Im a big Overeem fan and ill be the first to say that he hasnt really beaten the top end fighters in mma, But holding a KO victory over a K-1 HW champion IN k-1 rules and taking the K-1 2008 grand prix winner to a decsion is pretty impressive.
    When i said Overeem walked around @ 220+ first of all i meant around fight time and second 220+ is probally closer to 225-230. thats at fight time. When he was fighting @ 205 he was probally as big as Forest.

Youll have to show me where it says hes 260. The fight i was refering to where he was 235 was K-1 World GP 2009 in Yokohama on 3-28-09. Sherdog has him listed at 230 as well. You cant always belive what the announcers tell you.

• BigDave says:

Ill sya that i have only seen overeem a few times and have liked what i saw he woulf make a better fight then the tomatoe cans that fedor has faced over the last few years and I think he could actually pull of the upset. It will be interesting to see. As for Rogers I think he could land a shot but I fear fedor is just much to technical for rogers at this stage of his career.

• mu_shin says:

A few points gentlemen…

An aging Fedor Emelianenko? Check out the facts: Fedor turns 33 this September. He is potentially in his prime as a fighter, and against the caliber of opponent he is likely to face in Strikeforce, he will dominate.
    Unlike Nogueira, who is actually around the same age, Fedor has not spent his career taking a series of brutal beatings, and has plenty of fight left in him.

If you google “Overeem and Steroids” you’ll come up with sequential photos of his development over the past several years. As a long time bodybuilding fan and weightlifter, I would say it’s very unlikely Overeem achieved such a muscular gain without exogenous testosterone analogs.

In terms of competing in MMA however, because there is no year ’round protocol of un-announced drug testing in MMA, as long as he has good medical advice and competent coaching, he can maintain most of his muscle and pass almost any drug test, as long as he has used drugs that pass from the system relatively quickly and has adequate notice of when he will be tested. Barnett is a great example of how even an experienced steroid user can try and work the system and fail, so it should be interesting to see if Overeem can clear to fight in California.

Quickly, Overeem is a well rounded fighter, good on his feet, and actually has more submission victories than knockouts. I don’t think he’s ever been in a ring/cage with any heavyweight whose skills are anyhere near the level of Emelianenko’s, and if and when that fight takes place, I feel pretty certain that will become very obvious very quickly.

Do a search on Brett Rogers and watch some of the fights he had before he KO’d Arlovski, and I think that’s all you will need to see to determine that this guy has a puncher’s chance, but at 30-1, no one has been able to punch Fedor’s ticket to this point. No that it couldn’t happen, but I don’t see it happening against Brett Rogers, or Alistair Overeem.

If Fedor has a contractual obligation to himself through M-1/Global, and fulfills that commitment in the three fights with Strikforce, perhaps then we can see the fights we all want to see against the best true heavyweights available. Only time will tell, but time is hardly running out on the most dominant heavyweight to ever fight in this sport.

• antone3x7 says:

Rogers need a few more fights to show he’s legit. It would be a shame to have Fedor beat Rogers, and then have Rogers drop his following fight, ala Sylvia and Arlovski.

• KTru says:

“Build this fight up”?

Overeem’s injuries may prevent that.

Sooooooo, build it up for 2015?

• edub says:

Damn good Mu shin…damn good.