5 Oz’s Exclusive with Brian Bowles: ‘Miguel Torres has never faced anyone like me’

wec 42How a fighter as talented and explosive as WEC bantamweight Brian Bowles has gotten used to being the underdog during his career in the WEC is beyond me, but as this undefeated finishing machine told FiveOuncesOfPain.com in the days leading up to the biggest fight of his 29 years on this earth, it’s a role he relishes.

Good for Brian, because the man he is set to butt heads with this Sunday evening in Las Vegas at WEC 42 is widely regarded to be one of the very best pound for pound fighters walking the planet in Miguel Torres. But hey, according to Bowles there’s no pressure on his side of things. He’s not expected to win. Things can only get better.

“I’ve always done well as the underdog,” admitted Bowles. “I’ve always been the underdog in the WEC. It seems like every fight I’ve fought in the WEC I’ve been picked as the underdog, and I haven’t lost yet. Another thing about being the underdog is that there’s really not that much pressure on because if I lose, you’re supposed to beat me. Of course if I beat him I surprise everybody, so it kind of takes a lot of the pressure off.”

The native of Athens, Georgia doesn’t feel too bad about not being favored to win. It’s Miguel Torres we’re talking about here. The man is as close to a super-hero as it gets in this world. The Carlson Gracie Jr. black belt has lost just once in a career spanning close to forty fights (a decision loss he avenged by first round armbar), and hasn’t dropped a single bout in his last seventeen bouts spanning well over five years against the toughest competition possible.

That’s okay with Bowles, underdog or not Torres has never faced anyone as dangerous as him, and there’s not a man alive that’s immune to mortality.

“I think everyone he has face has been looked over,” explained Bowles. “He’s been a really dominant champion but he has never faced anyone like me yet. I think I’m his biggest threat so far. I’m the guy that has fought my way up to him. Most of the guys, like Mizugaki just came right in and got the shot. I think people are going to be really surprised. I think a lot of those other guys have put up really good showings against him. I mean Yoshiro Maeda and Takeya Mizugaki both fought him really well. I think I’m going to surprise people. It’s definitely going to be a good showing either way.”

Bowles is coming into the cage on Sunday night to inflict pain and leave with a championship belt. There’s two ways about it. Just don’t expect anything but respect from Brian in regards to the current WEC bantamweight champion.

“Miguel is really well rounded and he brings his fight to the opponent,” said the Hardcore Gym trained brawler. “He’s defended the belt well. He makes no excuses, he just performs.

“He’s been a really great champion. I’m just glad that I have the opportunity to beat him. I think I can take that role as the best 135 pound fighter that he has. It’s the second best guy against the number one guy, I think it’s going to be a really big fight for the WEC. I don’t think they have that a lot.”

Of course all of that respect goes flying out the window once that cage door slams. Don’t confuse Bowles’ respect for fear; he’s going to bring it to Torres, leave nothing in the cage, and make no excuses afterwords.

“You can’t be intimidated by him,” said Bowles. “He’s going to go out there and bring the fight to you, and you just have to do the same to him. You just can’t be afraid of him.”

First off, anyone that has seen Bowles fight will freely admit that the he carries the type of dynamite in his fists that is seldom seen from men weighing under 150 pounds. Quite frankly, if Bowles clips you it’s going to be a problem. Torres is no exception to the rule.

“I think my punching power is something that has just come natural to me,” explained Bowles. “I’ve always enjoyed the stand-up. It’s not something that I’ve really worked on. It’s just something that has come to me naturally.

“Here lately, the hardest hitter I’ve seen him go up against was Takeya Mizugaki. Other than that I haven’t really seen he’s been in there with that hits like I do.”

You’re not going to beat a champion like Torres with heavy hands alone; Something Brian is well aware of going into WEC 42. He’s far from a one-trick pony in this fight game.

“I think my wrestling is going to allow me to dictate where the fight ends up,” revealed Bowles. “I definitely don’t see him shooting on me and taking me down. I think the wrestling will definitely play to my advantage, but I think the overall skills, and the fact that I’m really well-rounded is going to give him some problems.”

Not once has Bowles been pushed to the scorecards in his professional fighting career. So one way or another this one ends early, right? Not so fast. According to the anxious title challenger anything could happen in what promises to be a wild fight, and he’s prepared for anything.

“It’s a good possibility I’ll go the distance for the first time,” confessed Bowles. “He’s been in some decisions. This is going to be my toughest challenge so far so maybe I’ll make it to a decision with him. There’s really no telling where this fight could go. It could be a knockout or a submission, you just can’t really tell exactly how this fight is going to turn out. I’m ready to do whatever it takes.”

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This is the one I’m looking forward to. 10x more excited about this than either of the Faber vs Brown fights. This is going to be a packed weekend, to say the least!!

• fanoftna33 says:

This is why the wec is so good, they make us really want to see this fight with one of the best fighters in the world and a guy with 9 fights. I see this as all Torres, he should be able to overwhelm Bowles and win tko round 2.

• Jstew3785 says:

What an awesome weekend this is going to be. 2 of the top 3 P4P fighters in the world both in action. Torres is going to completely dominate Bowles and show everyone that he truly is the #1 p4p fighter in the world. This weekend needs to hurry up and get here.

• Jstew3785 says:

And the other guy in the top 3 I was talking about is Silva, not bowles. Just wanted to verify that

• edub says:

Jstew and Fan: I gotta disagree buds. Although Im not picking a winner and I dont necessarily think Bowles will win I do see him giving Miguel loads of problems. If he can keep up the pace in this fight throughout the middle rounds I see an upset a brewin.

Than again im one of the assholes to pick Bisping over Henderson so what do i know.

• dpk says:

I’m excited for this fight, it could be the best one of the weekend, and that is saying something.

• Jstew3785 says:

Well since you disagree with me I am going to cuss you out and call out Cory too. Oh wait, that was on another post. LOL. It’s cool. Bowles is a talented guy, but IMO Miguel dominates him. I can’t wait to see this fight. I think I’m more excited about this than UFC 101

• edub says:

Yea man gonna be an awesome awesome fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

EDUB I cant belive you picked Bisping over Hendo(acuallu though I didlike him as a fighter I thought he had a good chance at a UD) I like what Bowels has shown so far it is just the experience level is not even close for me to think he has a chance against Torres. Yes he has some real power but not against the types of fighters Torres has fought. I see this fight going like the fight with Tapia, Torres will be to much.

• Davey D says:

My money is on Miguel Torres this Sunday. I believe he will finish the fight by KO or SUB. I do not see it going to the judges. Brian does bring a good all round game into the cage but I think Miguel will catch him and end it inside of 25 minutes.

Of all of Brian Bowles’s fights in the WEC I’ve only picked him to lose two times. This time agaist Torres and when he fought Demacio Page. Brian showed tremendous heart against Page. All of his fight’s, like Miguel’s, have been nothing short of fantastic and I expect more of the same come Sunday.

This weekend I have a local show on Friday night, UFC 101 on Saturday & WEC 42 on Sunday. Looking forward to an awesome weekend. BAM!

• manny says:

Torres will continue his dominance in the 135 lb weight division. Bowles in not as atheletic as miguel. Torres will win via KO in the 4th or 5th rd, taking him to deep waters and the going for the kill.

• Jstew3785 says:

Brian Bowles: “Miguel has not faced anyone with a little boy comb over like me”

• mu_shin says:

Without a doubt Miguel Torres is among the most talented and experienced fighters active in MMA. He is a dominant champion, and has never been stopped in almost forty fights.

I’ve seen Brian Bowles fight, and for 135, he’s unusually strong. He’s a strong stand up striker, and maintains his composure on the ground. While Bowles doesn’t have near the experience Torres does, from what I’ve seen, his style will match up well against Torres, and these guys should put on an entertaining contest.

Torres has to be favored, with his excellent record and previous title defenses, but if Bowles proves to be as well conditioned as Torres has shown he can be, we could be looking at another classic matchup.

• Bullylover says:

the only thing bowles has over torress is strength,power,and wrestling. Even with these i don’t really see bowles being able to beat torres with the exception of a punchers chance. i’m not hating on bowles i just don’t think it’s his time yet. Is the winner of benevidaz/cruz suppose to be the next in line for a title shot?

• I think Torres takes this one fairly easily. Bowles is a badass for sure but I see Torres as the GSP of his division. I dont see anyone taking him out anytime soon.

• Bowles is my boy, I’ve been a fan of his since his first WEC fight.

Unfortunately, I think Torres continues the “dominating champion” trend that MMA is going through right now.

• Cory Brady says:

I’m picking Bowles. Call me crazy, but I’m smelling an upset. If anyone has the tools it’s Brian.

• metalmulisha says:

Cory, I’m calling you crazy.

• Cory Brady says:

HaHa. I’ve been known to be at times. I just think people are looking past Bowles, but he has a lot of tools to give Torres problems. Mizugaki vs. Torres was fairly competetive and I think Bowles is very similar to Mizugaki stylistically, just better. We’ll see, it’s gonna be good one way or the other.

• Cory Brady says:

Who’s crazy now, lol

• metalmulisha says:

Good call Cory.

• Rich S. says:

Cory, I don’t know why, but when Torres stepped in the cage, I was feeling it too.. I just felt like something A: Bad, B: Crazy was about to go down.. and sure enough..

• Cory Brady says:

Thanks metalmulisha! :-)

& Rich – when Torres said he was the kind of guy that will take four or five punches to get his just before he came out, I knew it was bad news. Nobody is going to take four or five Brian Bowles punches to the chin at 135 pounds, nobody.

• Jstew3785 says:

Man, crow does not taste good.

• edub says:

Called it before ya cory.

Zing!