Anderson Silva: ‘[Robert Drysdale] is an idiot!’

Robert_DrysdaleBlack belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jiitsu and BJJ coach to former UFC light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin, Robert Drysdale has recently come under fire by UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva for statements the decorated submission specialist made during the recent airing of the UFC 101 Countdown on Spike TV.

A decorated grappler and coach to other successful UFC fighters such as Randy Couture and Wanderlei Silva, it’s Drysdale’s job to find holes in the arsenal of the opponents his men will be facing. A job he takes very seriously.

“We saw in the Travis Lutter fight; he stays flat on his back, he doesn’t hip out, he gets very frustrated off of his back, and he just doesn’t react well,” explained Drysdale.”Forrest is better than Travis Lutter. He’s better than him. I don’t see [Anderson] being able to handle the pressure Forrest can put on him.

“I see Forrest submitting Anderson Silva. There’s no question in my mind.”

Silva being offended by the recent comments and speculation on Drysdale’s end would be an understatement. According to Anderson, if you haven’t won any championships competing in mixed martial arts, you have no authority to criticize him and what he does in the cage.

“Who is this guy, Robert Drysdale?,” mockingly questioned Silva. “First he wants to train with us, and work out with us, and now that he’s training with Forrest Griffin there’s no question in his mind that [Forrest] is going to submit me? This guy is a fool. Who is this guy? He’s an idiot.

“I have a question for you Robert Drysdale: What titles have you won in MMA? Who are you in MMA? Who are you to judge what I do?”

• hindsightufuk says:

well he’s got a pretty impressive grappling/bjj resume. very impressive as it goes. i think he’s around 205, and i cant think of many better LHW’s with his bjj skills. i hope he makes the move to professional mma soon

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think this is going to get under Anderson’s skin a bit. I wouldn’t say it is going to throw him off his game, but by all means it could make him more aggressive and possibly exploit a hole they are waiting for. I’m looking forward to this match-up whole heartedly!!

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah me too, cant believe i have to wait and download it though, no live events for me!

• Cory Brady says:

ESPN is supposed to be broadcasting 101 in the UK….

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah but i think you have to subscribe to it. i do an ESPN channel but i dont know which one. its the one that shows fucking NASCAR! thats all i know

• manny says:

LOL! sorry for all you mma fans in UK. Yeah that nascar sh*t sucks, how’s driving a car around a sport??? Anyway, this unknown guy prob wnated to train with silva to figure out his @$$ hole in his game. I agree with Silva, who is this guy to judge him, he is no one and prob scared to fight that’s why he hasn;t made his debut, either way he has no room to talk. Silva will TKO or submit Forest, Forest will cont to come at him but silva will counter abd catch him.

• egad81 says:

I think Drysdale may have actually made a huge mistake in awakening The Spider.

Silva sounds a little upset and I hope it translates into a Chris Leben type beating on Forrest.

Dont get me wrong I think Forrest is going to have a career like Randy & Chuck…. but I have seen his chin get tested before.

• moosebaby02 says:

i dont see whats the poblem with a coach stating something he thinks is a hole in his game???? So what every coach who has to come up a game plan to beat silva has to keep their mouth shut or risk upseting silva??? so everyone has to walk around egg shells to make sure his ego is ok??? Silva needs to shut up and fight and not worry about what other people have to say…unless drysdale hit a nerve by stating something that is TRUE. I USE to LOVE the spider but him stating about wanting to fight an over the hill washed up roy jones to test himself when his contract is up with the UFC has just turned me the wrong way. Go Forrest Go

• Ft. Dub says:

the more the spider talks the less i like him. not sure if forrest will win but i’m sure pulling for him.

on another note, anybody know where you can get free streams of the fight?

• manny says:

Ft. Dub,

the psider will do his talking with his hands on Sat. The ufc lack’s good opponents in the MW div, besides, nate, damian, rick (left for 205).

also you can watch Forrest get KO at jusintv.com your welcom

• RU486 says:

I’m with Moose on this one. What coach HASN’T said “I see X holes in X-Fighter’s game, and we’re going to exploit that and win by X-manner” As a 10 year fan of Chute-Boxe, I must say Anderson Silva disappoints me these days. His laziness is only surpassed by his arrogance. Everyone in the world is predicting Silva to win this one. Run, Forrest, Run. Use your gargantuan size advantage and steam roll over this bastard so Hendo, and Wanderlei can hurry up and kick the dog shit out of him.

• Starforsaken says:

He actually says “fool” and “big fool”, not “idiot”. Which isn’t as harsh as idiot (in Portuguese at least), but harsh anyway. Not sure whether it’s a mistake by whoever translated that or if it’s on purpose, perhaps to give a bit more hype on the fight.

But I don’t really see Forrest submitting Anderson either.

• danw84 says:

Why does he have to have won a title to criticize Silva? Does that mean every writer on 5ozofpain has to quit writing for the site anything other than straight reporting unless they’ve won a title? It would be frustrating to be a coach of Silva and not be allowed to tell him how to improve his game unless you have won titles.

If football coaches know so much about how to be good at Football, why aren’t they on the team? The same goes for any sport. Drysdale is teaching some of the best because he knows how to be the best. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean that HE is the best.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

RU486, Moose,

That, BY FAR, is the BEST POST on this entire thread. I couln’t have said it any better.

“laziness is only surpassed by his arrogance” Hit the nail on the head!!

I also don’t understand the big deal. A coachs job is to exploit the opponents weakness. Sorry he didn’t keep it a secret? WTF?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

danw84, didn’t mean to leave you out. Good point as well.

• s13 says:

I see where Anderson is coming from. Think about it. You are a dominant champion and highlight reel just about everyone. You get into a fight with travis lutter who is supposed to be the end all of submission gods that you have faced. You wind up in a bad position (because travis is actually awsome at bjj) and people critisize and say ‘OH A WEAKNESS’. Now think about this. If travis was that good to get him in full mount, how good must anderson’s bjj be to get out of it, then triangle him and elbow him into submission? If anything that showed that he is a very resilliant champion. I love Forrest to death, but unfortunately the love will stop because he will in fact be killed by anderson in the cage. Forrest’s whole game is LEG KICKS (if you don’t believe me watch vs rashad and more importantly vs rampage), and what does anderson do with his beyond top level muay thai when someone tries to kick him??? Here’s a hint, go to mma-core.com and look up silva vs irvin….nuff said.

• s13 says:

…Oh and another thing, people want to talk about how ‘big’ forrest is…yeah he’s big, walks around at what..230ish? Anderson walks around at 220, so I really don’t see size being a factor besides the fact that Forrest will be ALOT slower than anderson…and anyone that knows anything about fighting knows that SPEED KILLS. Yeah it doesn’t matter much when you’re on your back, but Forrest will have to get inside anderson and weather that MT storm to get him down, and once he does get inside anderson will go immediately to the MT clinch where Forrest will be doing his best impression of Rich Franklin…going to get the mrs from work, be back in a bit. WHATS UP OZZ!! :)

• edub says:

NO Griffin waks around at near 240+. Thats why he is constantly referred to as the biggest lhw in the game. Griffin is gonna have a lot of size on Anderson dont get it twisted.

Travis Lutter is great at jits but hes not the end all be all(hes been submitted by lindland and got absolutely tooled on the ground vs. Prangley.

After saying all this I do agree with your point. It must be annoying to hear people always finding weaknesses when u havent lost a fight in like 4 or five years.

• fanoftna33 says:

All coaches say things like this and all opposing fighters get upset by it, this has been going on as long as people have had coaches, I think its just the ufc trying to make us think Anderson is going to come out like a ball of fire, when we all know its going to be the same old spider, he will counter everything forrest does and get the ko late in the 2nd round.

• danw84 says:

Yeah, we all know that. Why even watch the fight? We already know the outcome. Waste of $45 to watch something we’ve already been told over and over.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Here’s what I know.. I would rather debate this to DEATH, ressurect it, and do it again, than hear the F***R word, or hear about a manager that starts with the letter V.

I like the description S13. But hopefully Forrest will do the impersonation of Franklin for about 2 seconds, then take him down. I would love to see rd 3 of this fight

• Persian_Prince says:

The evolution of Andersson Siilva:

2 years ago:

outside the fight: fearsome killer
    after the fight: humble and respectful

now:

out

• Persian_Prince says:

The evolution of Andersson Siilva:

2 years ago:

in the fight: fearsome killer
    outside the fight: humble and respectful

now:

in the fight: goof and a clown
    outside the fight: arrogant and disrespectful to fans and others

• moosebaby02 says:

S13 i hear what your saying. It has to be annoying……but then just shut up and let your fist do the talking. Forrest is a big headache and like i posted on this site just like you SPEED does kill.
    Go Forrest Go. I really hope he can pull this off

• cocoonofhorror says:

cant wait for someone…anyone to KO Ando. his phony bologna repeck bowing and then showing guys up is bush league. i hope Forrest grinds out the most boring decision ever on him actually, that would be fitting.

• BigDave says:

i think Silva is just frustrated with the way his last two fights have gone and when he heard this it was like the straw that broke the camels back, I hope he doesnt lose focus and just go out there trying to prove a point because Griffin is no slouch and we all know he has unhumane ability to take a beating. I still think Silva wont be able to manhandle griffin the way he has with a guy like thompson (who sucks ass imo) and in the end I see forest submiting silva early in the 3rd.

• neijia says:

Drysdale has a good point. Lutter was doing well with the gnp. But, lol, S13, you’re right:

“Now think about this. If travis was that good to get him in full mount, how good must anderson’s bjj be to get out of it, then triangle him and elbow him into submission?”

Based on Anderson’s last two fights, he has been planning to pace himself over 5 rds and kick ass at the end. Unfortunately Cote got hurt and Leites just couldn’t hang. We know Griffin is tough and can definitely put up a great fight for 5 rounds. So we can speculate he will be willing to just mix it up in standup if it’s close; the standup could be very good, but Anderson Silva will still have the edge in speed, footwork, and unpredictable striking angles and timing – Forrest’s kickboxing looked great against Rashad and Rampage but standup should still favor Silva’s speed, timing, angles and better footwork.

Based on Drysdale’s comments and Griffin’s weight advantage, if Griffin spots opportunities he will go for press against fence and takedown. That will be his plan and he sticks to his plan very, very well. If he does that he could win, but will probably lose even if he appears to be winning like against Rashad or like Anderson pulling out the sub on Lutter.

Like everyone else, I hope the Spider has now been majorly alerted to this gnp aspect of the gameplan, and TKO’s or subs Forrest in rd 3 or 4. Bring a little of his big finish back. He seems to be coasting a little too easily lately.

• danw84 says:

Neijia this isn’t a title fight, there won’t be a round 4.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Forrest always has a special kind of crazy on his side,something that can’t be measured with points.
    I want him to win ,but I won’t bet money on him or brag if he does win.

I’ll just lie back on my barstool ,shouting ,”BRING ON THE CRAZY,” much like I did when he fought Shogun, exept THIS time, after he wins, and I get kicked out for being too loud and I know I’ve have done all I can do to help, I promise I’ll safely drive myself home and check for Kenny vs.BJ results on 5oz O’ Pain.

• s13 says:

Persian Prince, you couldn’t be more wrong. I have a friend here at work who is from brazil and he translated the comments anderson made after the thales fight and the interpreter got the words all wrong saying that about the fans. He was basically saying that it takes 2 to fight which it does. If you look at this link on youtube, even chuck got mad FOR Anderson. You could tell that anderson was pissed and didn’t even want to answer the question from Mike Straka from fox fight game. check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qFgv8zSNU

Now if i must say, the last 2 fights anderson had. The one with cote was about to be finished as he was landing more and more on cote then his knee went out. Then against Thales, the guy kept going to the ground when anderson would attack and play ‘ufc leather facial makeover’, so don’t blame him. I think anderson has the same problem roy jones did. He’s so much better than everyone else that we all have become spoiled and expect a highlight every time. And for the guy that made comments about him boxing roy jones, i guess you don’t realise that boxers have boxing skills that are light years ahead of MMA guys (I was boxing since I was 15 and I trained in MMA on and off a few years till this past april when I shattered my tibia). I think anderson is just trying to test himself against someone who he has been compared too respectively…not to mention that roy could KO most MMA practitioners in a boxing ring. You should look up the video on youtube of him sparring with minotauro..good stuff, they banged real hard.

• moosebaby02 says:

there are more ways he can test himself than going the boxing route like maybe taking on the LHW as he did when he first started out in mma???? As for the boxing compression s13 i know exactly what your talking about since my brother is a boxer and agrees with me and this roy jones fight. its not needed but i hear ya.
    Like I have said before Silva has every right to do what ever it is he wants but me as a PAYING FAN who is helping line his pockets I want to see him against the axe murderer, not to really with hendo cause he already beat him. Then move up and take on rashad, rampage, belfort, the dragon if they would put the friendship thing to the side. You know guys who is the same size instead of cutting so much weight to fight smaller guys

• BigDave says:

I’m just wondering why Silva seems to be ducking a guy that I feel will walk right threw him and thats damien maia. I mean look at the crap he has been fighting, Irvin,Cote, and Lietase. Give me a break I hope Griffin destroys him then I’d like to see him go in there and get tapped out By Maia.

When is everyone just going to admit that GSP is the best p4p in the world and the rest arent even near his level. Had to throw that in here havent heard enough about rush the last week or so. ;)

• moosebaby02 says:

i forgot about maia. silva vs maia 1st before he moves up as well

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’ll agree with you BigDave, in a heartbeat.

Georges impresses the HELL out of me when he utterly DESTROYED Thiago Alves. That complete domination alone should have catapulted to #1 without having to worry about anyone else winning and dethroning him. The man is just incredible.

I’d have to say BJ is wrong though about the steroid allegations. GSP is just naturally gifted.

• fanoftna33 says:

Maia has to get by marquadt and that wont be as easy as his past fights, but if he gets the win I would put him up there as the number 1 contender after henderson gets his next shot.

• neijia says:

“Neijia this isn’t a title fight, there won’t be a round 4.”

lol, D’oh!!!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Big Dave are you for real all you have to do to beat Maia is not go to the ground and unless you are retarded at stand up Maia doesn’t have a chance. He is a one trick pony. Even if he vastly improves his stand up it will still be average and I really don’t think the guy will ever amount to much more than a also ran.

• BigDave says:

I sure an for real Maia is 10-0 and only 1 fight has gone to decision. 8 subs, 1 ko. He just plain ends fights and look impressive as hell doing it and he is doing nothing but getting better and more well rounded. Silvas last fight showed if nothing else that he isnt confident in his ability to fight on the ground and I have no doubt in my mind that is exactly where this fight is going to end up.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Maybe he will win but Henderson will just take it straight off him. He only has one way to win just like Leites. We will see against Marquadt how he copes against a top tier fighter.