Tim Sylvia vs. Jason Riley to headline September 18 Adrenaline event

Jason RileyA heavyweight match-up between Tim Sylvia and Jason Riley has been booked for an Adrenaline event scheduled to take place on September 18.

The news of the bout comes courtesy of Jason Riley himself, who confirmed the fight on his Myspace account, stating, “I will be fighting Tim Sylvia on September 18. It will be the main event for Adrenaline. It will be aired on HDNET Fights. Over 11 million people will be watching. If interested in sponsoring me please contact me on Myspace with all your contact info and I will have my manager get a hold of you. Thanks again for everyones support.”

An heavy handed Ohio based brawler with a penchant for finishing his opponents, Riley has established himself as a heavyweight to watch out for with an impressive record of 11-1. Riley’s most recent performance was a devastating first round knockout over Justin Black at “NAAFS: Caged Vengence 4″. Riley is also the current NAAFS heavyweight title holder.

Former UFC champion Tim Sylvia will be looking to right the ship and show the MMA community he’s back following a pair of embarrassing defeats at the hands of Fedor Emelianenko and aging former champon boxer Ray Mercer. Of course Sylvia is a two-time UFC heavyweight champion and it remains to be seen if he can someday return to his old dominant form.

• fraz says:

“Over 11 million people will be watching.”

I think you mean over 11 HUNDRED people will be watching.

• BigDave says:

I think they will have to pay to have 11 people watching.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i will be watching.

• submit662266 says:

11 people will be watching. You know why? Tim Sylvia is done, that’s why. He has looked real bad in his last 3-4 fights.

War Machida dominating LHW.

• danw84 says:

What does Machida in the UFC have to do with a different promotion of a different date?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL @ danw84

You know what, the Hell with it. I’ll watch. You just never know. Sometimes the fights you think are gonna suck wind up to be 3rd WARS. There’s an old Tim in there, somewhere. He just needs to come out. At least you don’t have to worry about this being a battle of attrition. Someone is going down and out.

• David Andrest says:

LOL DAN.

I’ll watch it. Who knows maybe a fight will break out.

• Jak says:

No thank you, to this fight.

• Gurthee says:

The new Tim looks like he ate the old Tim. I wonder if he can to cut to 265 these days? Or will he need to in this organization? He was what, 310 against Mercer? Dude needs to try a new camp…like the ones they have for fat kids maybe?

• fanoftna33 says:

Hopefully we see a much better Sylvia than his last fight. The guy can be a exciting fighter when he goes out and tries to win. His fight against Nogeria was pretty good, he just made that one mistake but he was well on his way to a third championship, then it all went downhill.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wanna hear something crazy?

Rumor has it that Houston Alexander got permission to fight outside the UFC in this card as well. I’d like to see if that comes to fruition. A lot of people knock the guy and say fluke this and that, but I happen to like him.

How can you not respect a single father of six kids, that also gave one of his kidneys to his oldest daughter? Honestly?

And I still think the Irvin fight was called too fast. Houston will be back. He may not get to the title, but he will definately win some fights.

• metalmulisha says:

Where did this record of 11-1 come from for Riley?

I have never heard of him before so I checked out the Fight Finder at Sherdog to see who his wins were against and they have him at 6 and 1.
    The guys he’s beaten also are complete nobodies to me other than Braden Bice who’s not exactly a very good fighter to be kind.

This is obviously a fight to get Big Tim a win after that wonderful performance against Ray Mercer. After this fight I would not be surprised to see Tim head off to Japan for a couple of fights.

• metalmulisha says:

I hope that rumor is true ozz I love Houston’s brawling style.

Plus he needs to get back in action he has six mouths to feed.

• fanoftna33 says:

Houston is fun to watch regardless of the fact that he will never see ufc gold. The ufc should let him get some more fights under his belt though. The only bad thing there is his age.

• fanoftna33 says:

This unfortunatly for Riley seems like a get Tim a win type of fight. Riley has not fought anybody of note yet, or much experience. If Tim loses here I would say he is done.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I know a lot of hate on old Timmy, but really, what has he done to piss us off? Is he goofy? Yes. Overweight? Yes.

He’s 24-6 though, having only lost to TOP names (before Mercer). He did great against Nog. He got KO’d by the #1 Heavyweight in the world, and took a fight for whatever reason with Mercer that was doomed from the start. I mean c’mon. Power is the LAST thing to go from a boxer, and he just caught the guy.

I do think Tim’s best days are behind him, but if he got serious again and really put out in training…… I surely wouldn’t count him out.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont hate on Sylvia and I did mention how well he did against nog, but he is a two time ufc champ, why make yourself look bad by taking fight with guys so far out of your league? The guy has done some great things inside the cage, and I think he can get back to form but this is not the way.

• dpk says:

This is a good chance for Riley to make a name for himself. It is also a good chance for Tim Sylvia to get back on the winning track, if he comes in motivated and in shape he should take this guy out, if he loses then he really should consider hanging it up for good.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Machida? wtf? ADD much?

• […] be former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia facing off with Jason Riley. FiveOuncesOfPain.com had previously reported the bout after Riley had leaked the news on his MySpace […]