Tamdan McCrory released by the UFC

Tamdan McCroryTamdan McCrory has been let go by the UFC following a split decision defeat at the hands of John Howard at UFC 101.

Apparently a representative of “The Barn Cat” was notified of the release by UFC matchmaker Joe Silva sometime Monday evening according to a recent report on the Underground News.

McCrory earned a reputation as a tougher than nails, well rounded mixed martial artist during his time with the UFC where he put together a respectable record of 3-3 while compiling wins over the likes of Pete Spratt and Luke Cummo, and dropping bouts to Akihiro Gono and Dustin Hazelett.

With an overall record of 11-3 and a fighting style that refuses to disappoint, Tamdan would make a fantastic addition to the Strikeforce welterweight roster that is currently hungry for talent.

• dpk says:

He’ll be back. It sounds like he is moving up to MW, I’m sure a few wins at that weight, and UFC will bring him back into the mix. At 6’4” he should have no problem fitting into a solid MW, and continuing to develop his game.

• GetItOn says:

It’s always sad to see a barncat go. : (

• hindsightufuk says:

i was about to rant and rave and say fuck the UFC for letting talented young fighters go, but i guess he’s in no form to be a title challenger so let him go and get more experience and come back better.
    still fuck the UFC for letting this exciting young fighter go when you consider some of the shit they keep

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I can’t agree with this. Well, maybe. 3-3 UFC, with your only losses coming in the UFC…. I don’t know. I’m on the fence with this. He could use some overseas experience, I know that. I liked this guy too…..Dammitt

• Jak says:

Can’t really disagree…. he was able to beat “B” and “C” fighters, but just wasn’t ready when he took the next step.

He’s young and has plenty of time to get experience and return to the big leagues.

• Meers311 says:

I am a little bit surprised by this release. I thought they would keep him around just based on being so young and having some pretty good potential. It was well-known prior to this fight he was probably going to move up to MW because he has gotten so big. I thought they’d keep him around based on the change in weight divisions.

Though I am surprised, I don’t think it’s really that bad for him. Taking some fights outside the UFC at MW prior to actually fighting in the UFC might be a good idea.

• ihateurface says:

He’s a young guy, although it is a shame to see a guy like this let go. I think he will be back after seasoning his game some more in another organization.

• metalmulisha says:

Let’s see McCory is out, but Amir Sadollah stays. Great decision.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am wondering if a fighter is released does he have a waiting period brfore he can sign on with another promotion?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

metalmulisha says:

“Let’s see McCory is out, but Amir Sadollah stays. Great decision.”

• manny says:

Strikeforce should get him just to piss off the ufc. He’ll rack up sum wins b4 dana comes knowing in his door. I dunno how this decision was made

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t see Dana coming knowing or knocking. Maybe he thinks it’s best for him to get a little more experience outside the UFC, finish fvcking growing, determine what weight class he wants to be in, then come back and see where he’s at.

I don’t necessarily agree with the decision, but if it was for the right reasons then I can understand.

• dpk says:

I think UFC just wants to see him win a few at MW before bringing him back in. It will give him 2-3 fights at 185 so he can get accustom to fighting bigger guys, and see how his own body reacts to the different weight. Moving up in weight against UFC competition isn’t an easy task, unless your Anderson Silva. I’m sure he is on the speed dial for a last minute replacement if someone gets injured.

• “Let’s see McCory is out, but Amir Sadollah stays. Great decision.”

Well, Sadollah IS a TUF winner and has a UFC record of 1-1 so…

• Angry Mike says:

… if he drops one or two more fights and has a three fight contract, which seems typical for UFC, he’ll be gone, too.

• metalmulisha says:

I don’t care if Sadollah is a TUF winner or not.

McCrory is younger, has more potential, was 3 and 3 in the UFC, never lost 2 in a row, and if they fought right now I’d take McCrory in a hearbeat.

I also can’t imagine this is a money issue either, because I haven’t seen the payout figures but I doubt McCrory was making that much cash.

• “I don’t care if Sadollah is a TUF winner or not.”

You don’t. But Dana does. And he makes the decisions.

Amir has name recognition that McCrory doesn’t have even if either one isn’t ready to be in the UFC yet.

• metalmulisha says:

“I don’t care if Sadollah is a TUF winner or not.”
    You don’t. But Dana does. And he makes the decisions.

Ah seriously can you just admit that this is wrong instead of just agreeing with the decision because Dana made it.

Name recognition are you kidding me? Who’s buying a PPV because Sadollah is on it?

Saying McCrory doesn’t belong in the UFC when their are guys on their roster he can beat is crazy.

• This isn’t wrong, it’s business.

I have no problem with McCrory getting cut. Like everyone else said, he’s likely moving up to MW. With a couple of wins under his belt, the UFC is likely to come calling again.

The problem I do have is cutting someone after a very questionable stoppage. Someone who the casual fan DOES recognize even if his fight isn’t the clincher as to whether or not a PPV is bought.

• metalmulisha says:

“This isn’t wrong, it’s business.”

Here’s my problem right here just because it’s a business decision doesn’t make it right. Not in IMO anyway.

• You’re correct, it doesn’t make it right. It’s not wrong, either. It’s just business.

Like I alluded to before, I really don’t think either fighter is ready for the UFC right now. Hell, Amir walked into TUF with zero pro fights.

I can, however, understand keeping a former TUF winner on the roster as opposed to a very young fighter who stands to earn a lot by fighting a few more fights in regional shows.

McCrory is a good, solid fighter. His fight against Hazelett was one of my favorites from last year. But the UFC can’t afford to keep every .500 fighter just because they have a lot of potential.

• hindsightufuk says:

I disagree partly because he was an exciting up and coming fighter who would fit in perfect on a fight night card at the very least. I disagree mostly cos i have to watch shit like Almeida/Grove & Shane Whothefuck/Riley on the main ppv cards. fuck man even okami/fitch/leites dont get main cards. its a fucking bullshit system the ufc has. the ufc isnt about promoting fighters who deserve it. Fitch is the best example, an awesome fighter who, if he hadnt fought GSP, most people wouldnt know who he was. yet some shitters from TUF are household names, put on shit performances and get to keep their jobs.

• “cos i have to watch shit like Almeida/Grove”

“fuck man even okami/fitch/leites dont get main cards.”

Almeida/Grove is shit? And Shane NELSON/Aaron Riley was on the main card because they ran out of prelim time, for the record.

Also, four of Fitch’s five fights leading up to his main event bout against GSP were on the main card. Three of Okami’s last five fights have been on the main card including one that he headlined.

• edub says:

Yea Im gonna agree with this decision. Hes not that recognizable. Hes lost everytime he goes up against a higher level opponent (although he was competitive in all his losses). And he is moving to MW. Let him get a few fights under his belt at a higher weight class then ring him back(if he doesnt sign with strikeforce that is).

Good decision I say.

• metalmulisha says:

edub “Cmon Mulisha did u really think they would cut Sadollah. He may not have much experience but he profoundly more recognizable than Barncat. He has been pushed by the promotion and in his last loss was prematurely stopped.”

No I honestly didn’t think they’d cut Sadollah and probably won’t after another loss.
    I was just using him as an example because they’re both coming off a loss in the same weight class on the same event and McCrory is younger, more talented, and would beat Amir 9 out of 10 times and one’s staying on and the other is out looking for work. Hopefully not for long.
    Plus they cut McCrory (who wants to move up to 185), and in turn bring back a guy like Dennis Hallman to fight at 185.

• edub says:

Dude Hallman was brought in like 3 1/2 years ago to fight, and the mma landscape has tremendously changed since then. Also as I think Sergio said he would half to get acclamated to a new weight against the best guys in the world so releasing him is obviously a better idea for him there.

I do understand where your coming from, but i also dont think Mcrory would be Sadollah i would put my money on Amir knocking him out.

• metalmulisha says:

Hallman just signed a new deal to fight now in the UFC.

• edub says:

hahah I stand corrected.

• edub says:

AH I guess thats why Joe SIlva makes the decisions and we dont. Maybe theyll let Hallman go back on the roids to try and salvage his career.

Or maybe there bringing him to Give Hughes one more crack at beating him.

• madheartmma says:

McCrory would CCCCCCRRRRRUUUUSSSSHHHHHH Amir Sadollah & EVERYONE “tuf” AMIR HAS FOUGHT. BET.

• thunder okami says:

amir would armbar mccrory like dustin did

• fanoftna33 says:

I just read that Fitch will fight new at WW Ricardo Almeida this NIV. That should be a war.

• I see Fitch taking it which sucks because I’m a huge Almeida mark.

• Jstew3785 says:

Fitch by decision…. imagine that.

• Jstew3785 says:

Tamdan looks like he has down syndrome in that picture.

• fanoftna33 says:

No way Fitch finishes him but yeah maybe a typical Fitch ud, he needs a nickname like decision dan got.

• fanoftna33 says:

Fitch is one of thoes guys I would like to see add some weight and go to MW. The guy is 6’1 or 2 and is as tough as anybody out there, he could make a good showing at mw.

• Jstew3785 says:

I don’t care what Fitch does. I’ve never been a fan at all. I’m not denying he’s good, but I just don’t care for him.

• fraz says:

“Tamdan looks like he has down syndrome in that picture.”

Haha. So true. Maybe he can get his lawyer to sue Zuffa for discrimination.