Jake O’Brien Released From The UFC

jake o'brienJake O’Brien has been let go by the UFC with a career record of 11-3, and an Octagon record of 4-3.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has just learned of the release through O’Brien’s agent, Ken Pavia at MMA Agents.

The dismissal comes on the heels of the former heavyweight’s second bout at 205 pounds; a loss to the up and coming Jon Jones at UFC 100.

Obrien’s only other two defeats in his professional career came to Andrei Arlovski and Cain Velasquez, while he managed to notch impressive victories over the like of Heath Herring and Christian Wellisch during his time spent with the UFC.

The just 24 year old Indiana based fighter is known for his strong wrestling background and knockout power, finishing eight of his eleven victories by way of knockout or TKO.

• TURKISH says:

He should go back to heavyweight. He didn’t look good at all at the weigh ins for the Jones fight must have been a bad cut.

I think that after a loss sometimes guys jump the gun and feel the need to drop weight classes as if that’s going to correct their problems.

It works out occasionally, but I don’t think it does in the case of O’Brien.

• BigDave says:

I think he got a raw deal. I mean he lost to cain who will be the #1 contender when he beats carwin. Arlovski is not an easy win for a young up and comer, and Joe Jones at a weight that was to tough a cut for him. But he is 24 he will get another shot I’m sure.

• IcePatrol says:

“The dismissal comes on the heels of the former heavyweight’s debut at 205 pounds; a loss to the up and coming Jon Jones at UFC 100″

Actually O’Briens Light-Heavyweight debut was at UFC 94 against Christian Wellisch…just FYI

But lets get real here everyone, O’Brien was used as a stepping stone after he failed to beat Arlovski at heavyweight. He is still really young, but his wrestling style isn’t getting fans out of their seats so he was expendable

• Cory Brady says:

Yep, you’re right IcePatrol. Thanks for that. I forgot that Wellisch dropped down in that one as well.

• danw84 says:

Cain isn’t going to matter much after Carwin knocks him out in less than 2 minutes.

• mu_shin says:

Jake should have no problem finding employment elsewhere. He’d be a good match for Dream, as the Japanese fans seem to have more appreciation for the wrestling oriented style. I know I’m in the minority, but his victory over Heath Herring was a favorite of mine.

• moosebaby02 says:

of topic but i dont see Cain beating Carwin as well danw84

• egad81 says:

Jake will be back someday. He needs to get more comfortable at 205.

• jj says:

I’ve always found his fights to be more of a wrestling match than anything else. I’d like to see him develop his other skills.

• Scott H. says:

mu_shin:

That’s an interesting comment. I think for many casual fans, O’Brien recieved a reputation (which he never was able to shake) as a boring fighter during that match… yet it drew you in to be a fan of his?

• fanoftna33 says:

The fight against Herring was a good one for me as it was very unexpexted for Obrien to win that fight. The ufc just put him in there to lose and get Herring a win. So regardless if it was the fight of the night or not the underdog winning that way was a fun thing to see.
    He is a soild enough fighter to find work soon I think.

• sigmund says:

I think they had to let him go because he dressed too much like tito in that picture up there. and we all know theres only room for one tito in the UFC
    Really though i think he will grow better in a different organization. I agree with mu-shin that dream would be a profitable venue for a fighter of his caliber

• ihateemo says:

Hah, I wouldn’t call O’Brien’s lay-and-pray victory over Herring “impressive”.

• indymmafan says:

ihateemo, watch the fight again. how many times did he pass Herring’s guard? i wouldn’t call that lay-and-pray. Heath is very slick at gettin out when someone passes his guard. wath the Herring vs Nog fight-same thing. do you think Nog is boring too? and don’t forget Jake was 22 years old at the time. He’ll be back.