Brett Rogers: ‘Fedor is going to sleep’

Brett RogersOutside of his massive 6’5″, 265 pound frame and explosive knockout power, the single aspect that separates Brett Rogers from most of Fedor Emelianenko‘s past opponents is the fact that “The Grim” is not the least bit star struck by the dominant Russian. While so many of Fedor’s previous rivals have spoken of Emelianenko in the highest regards, Rogers will be the first to admit, he’s far from a fan.

As a matter of fact, as Rogers prepares himself for the man many consider to be the best pound for pound fighter in the business, studying tape on his future opponent is extremely low on his things to do list at this point.

“The first time I watched Fedor fight? Hmmm… you know what. I have to think about that. You know what I can’t honestly say I’ve seen one of Fedor’s fights,” revealed Rogers in an exclusive conversation with FiveOuncesOfPain.com. “I’ve seen all of his highlights and some clips, but I’ve never watched a full length fight with him. Well maybe the Arlovski fight, so I take that back. But if you’re asking me if I’m a fan, the answer to that question is no. I know who he is, and I know his background, but I was never a true Fedor fan because obviously most of his work was done out east. So I’m kind of curious to see how he’s going to do in the west.”

The biggest varying factor Emelianenko will have to deal with while competing in the west will undeniably be his having to adjust to fighting inside of a cage. In thirty-one professional contests up until this point in Fedor’s illustrious fighting career, not one has come inside of a chain link fence. Of course the former PRIDE champion has recently admitted that he has began to train inside of a cage in preparations for this bout, but one must wonder how fast Emelianenko can make the necessary adjustments to face off with a man that has spent the bulk of his career fighting in closed quarters.

“In the cage it’s a different environment,” said Rogers. “The angles in a cage are a lot different than in a boxing ring and there’s no give against that fence, so I’m definitely going to use the cage as an advantage. That’s my buddy [laughs]. A buddy that always has my back. I did some boxing in a ring early on in my career, and I had one fight in a ring at an Icon show, but outside of that all of my fighting has come in the cage. It’s a little bit of a different feel. That’s how I know that fighting is different in the ring as opposed to the cage. So hopefully it frustrates him a little bit.”

As Brett will openly admit that he is not the type of guy to pour over countless hours of his opponents tapes in search of a possible weakness, when asked as to whether he had the opportunity to see moments in bouts against opponents such as Kazuki Fujita, Mirko “Cro Cop” Flipovic and Andrei Arlovski where Emelianenko had cases of the spaghetti-leg syndrome, Rogers admitted,”Yeah, yeah I have, and I feel like the people that rocked him just didn’t stay on him enough. I mean, he’s really good at recovering. He knows to duck his head and clinch on to the body, and just kind of wait it out until he can really wake up. That’s good for him, but I’m not the type of person to give him an inch. As soon as I see him hurt, I’m on him. I’m on him. I’m gonna finish the fight. I don’t like to play around too much in the cage because anything can happen at any time, so I take them out as soon as possible.”

It’s no mystery as to where Rogers prefers to make his money; upright, busting his opponents up. And while the Team Bison trained heavyweight makes it clear that there is no area he will fear going to with Fedor, he knows where his major strengths lie.

“I definitely have a huge advantage when it comes down to exchanging punches,” said the undefeated knockout artist that has finished every one of his fights through strikes. “That’s my strong point, and that’s definitely going to be his weak point. I want to keep moving, keep him back pedaling, and just keep him off balance. That’s my main goal in this fight. I really don’t see him wanting to stand and bang with me. He’s gonna taste my power, and then he’s going to try to take me down to hopefully get me with some ground and pound or just whatever. Hopefully he’s not sleeping on the fact that I do have wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu training too. I guarantee you I’m going to be prepared for whatever.”

As previously noted, the best thing that Rogers has going for him in this bout is the fact that he’s absolutely not awestruck by Fedor in the very least. While speaking with Brett you get a sense that he may be on to something. Regardless, the type of confidence the Minnesota native brings into the bout can be viewed as nothing but a positive seeing what being fearful of “The Last Emperor” has done for rivals in the past.

“Fedor’s just another man to me,” explained Rogers. “It’s nice to say that I’m fighting the guy most people consider to be the #1 fighter in the world but on the other side of that coin he’s just a man. He’s just a man that’s in my way.

“A lot of people see Fedor as this unbeatable, mythical creature, but if I put one on his chin, Fedor is going to sleep. Right now I’m in training and I’m just visualizing knocking him out every day. I can see that he’s been rocked several times before, so I’m going in there for the kill. I can’t not picture me knocking him out. So he better do some chin-ups or whatever he needs to do to make him strong, because I’m coming for him. He’s not going to be able to handle my power standing and banging. He stands in the pocket with me, he’s gonna get knocked out. He better keep on his toes and move around.”

One fact that can’t be denied in the highly anticipated heavyweight showdown planned for Strikeforce in Fall is that Fedor has never faced a man quite like Rogers. Not to say he hasn’t faced dangerous position in the past, obviously he has, but Emelianenko has never faced a fighter with the amount of threatening variables that Rogers brings to the table, such as size, strength, one punch knockout power, killer instinct, and a big one that many are neglecting to take into account; the unknown factor. Rogers has made such short work of his prior opponents that he is undeniably one of the toughest heavyweights to prepare for in the business.

While Fedor may feel like he has nothing to show in this most recent challenge, Rogers would beg to differ, stating,”He recently said he had nothing to prove by beating me, but I feel like he does. He’s never faced anyone with the type of heart, determination and desire that it takes to succeed. I’m a totally different person than he’s ever faced before. The way I see it, I am the new generation. Even after beating Fedor I’m still going to have that hunger and desire to win. That’s just a little word of warning for everyone else after this fight. I’m hungry and determined. I’ve got a lot of things on my to do list, and those things take money. Every head is money to me.”

As confident as Rogers may seem, and rightfully so at this level of the game, he will be the first to admit that he’s got something to prove at this early point in his career. After three success filled years in the business that have led to Rogers’ rise to stardom in the fight game, many seem to lose track of the fact that at just twenty-eight years old, “The Grim” is just getting started.

“I feel like I still have a lot of things to prove,” admitted Rogers. “There’s a lot of people that say,”What if…”, this or that, but I never want to be that guy. I look at Fedor and he’s 30-1; I’m trying to be that guy. I’m determined to have a clean record and be known at the same time as one of the best heavyweights in the world. I’m not done. I’m just getting started the way I see it. It just so happens that Fedor is in my way right now.”

• metalmulisha says:

I like Rogers and you always have to worry about a fighter who has knockout power like he does because they’re always a threat in any fight, but he’s going to lose to Fedor somewhere near the end of the first round by submission.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

• Makington says:

I really don’t like his attitude towards fighting, and I like his mohawk even less. I will concede that he will be putting forth quite a challenge for Fedor, and if Fedor isn’t careful he probably won’t last long, but this guy isn’t even close to the best fighter he has fought. He got this idea that he is the best fighter ever born, and he’s saying he has more heart than any of Fedor’s other opponents, like Nog? What a joke.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 1

• redness says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 5 Thumb down 15

• fanoftna33 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 0 Thumb down 14

• Angry Mike says:

I like his attitude, but Fedor has done well against aggressive strikers, who tend to leave themselves open for counter punches. If I were a betting man, I’d bet that it’s Fedor who’s wide awake at the end of this fight.

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 2

• edub says:

The more and more I see this makes me not like Rogers. Who are you kidding man? Never faced anyone like you? Fedor has to prove himself in the west? Is this guy serious? He does know that he’s facing the best fighter in mma history right.

I was calling for armbar, but now with the disrespect Rogers seems to be giving Fedor’s standup I think this fight is gonna be similar to the Silva fight. Fedor will rock him pounce on him when he goes down and choke the life out of him. Short night for Burger Grim.

Well-Done. Thumb up 24 Thumb down 0

• xtreme_machine says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 18

• Rich S. says:

Fedor has faced every type of opponent there is to possibly face..

-Deadly Submissions
    -Deadly Wrestling
    -Deadly Striking

You name it, Fedor beat it..

There’s absolutely NO REASON why Rogers should win this fight.. But, I can’t help but think he will.. Leave it to the person who shouldn’t even be in the same ring with him, to beat him.. a la Serra/GSP..

And then we’ll get to hear those annoying commentators talk about the biggest upset in MMA history (they seem to have a new one every event).
    And all the non-hardcores will have Rogers as the best HW in the world, so on and so forth..

Oh, and Rogers hasn’t even seen one of Fedor’s fights all the way through? Are you serious? It’s almost like he wants to lose.. Fedor’s “highlights” can’t even begin to sum up his style and what he does in the ring..

Right now, If you asked me what it took to beat Rogers, I’d say just the slightest bit of head movement, and a good takedown..

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 1

• Makington says:

Very well put Rich. It would be an absolute shame for people to start talking like Brett is even kind of good. All he has going for him is his size and power, both of which are natural gifts that he just got lucky for. He doesn’t have the technique that you have to learn through years and years of practice. I also feel like Fedor might lose this one, and then we’d have to sit around listening to how awesome this guy is.

It would be like how everyone thinks Frank Mir is the absolute best fighter ever to come out of the heavyweight division because he’s the highest ranked fighter in the UFC video game. Apparently he’s the same caliber fighter as Anderson Silva and GSP, and even better than Lyoto Machida.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think anybody would confuse Rogers’s technique with Fedor’s but the guy didnt just become this good overnight, he has been training for years. To say all he has is the size and strength that was naturally giving to him is pretty harsh. Most great fighters are great because they combine there natural gifts(siza, strength,mental toughness etc) with hard work and dedication, and Rogers is no different than Fedor in that respect.

• submit662266 says:

I think Rogers is naive. He says he watched one fight?! Wake up Brett!! He’s not star struck b/c he hasn’t done his homework. Rogers has 2 advantages: his size and his power. Fedor has faced these challenges and knows how to deal with them. Fedor knows 100 different ways to beat this guy.
    99.9% of the fighters make outrageous statements to hype their fights and that’s what this is about. I think it is good. I don’t think BR is egotistical. He’s doing part of his job.

It’s MMA. Anything can happen, but Fedor walks out of this one with the W and Brett gets carried out asking his corner-men what just happened.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 0

• Makington says:

Technically speaking, he isn’t even half the fighter Fedor is, and that’s the problem when the heavyweight class is 60 pounds all encompassing. You get fighters who are just huge, and are good at bullying around and using their size, and that alone can be enough. The days when technique trumps size are over, because everyone is atleast decently technical. There won’t be anymore guys beating people who outweigh them by 60 pounds.

I guess I shouldn’t have said that’s all he has going for him, since he does admittedly have very good control of his opponents and is very good at dictating where the fight goes. However, his biggest strengths are the ones he was given at birth.

I reckon I’m relatively biased, because I think he’s a tool, but he really is his biggest fan.

• saerbarnet says:

I stopped reading when he said he hadn’t seen Fedor fight, He’ll get killed.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 1

• sensiman says:

Who in the world has brett fought except Arvloski. I have said it before and Im saying it again. Rogers has never fought someone with as much experience, skills, knowledge of mma and raw talent as Fedor. Fedor will win by rear naked choke at the begining of round 2. Rogers will wear himself out quick and Fedor will take advantage of that.

• fraz says:

Sounds like Roger is doing the exact opposite of what somebody should do in preparation to face Fedor:

1) Ging in overconfident
    2) Not watching tape of previous mathes
    3) Not bothering to get in proper shape because he thinks he can end the fight in round 1

Those 30 extra pounds of blubber are just going to slow him down against Fedor. I’d list Fedor as a 25 to 1 favorite.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• fraz says:

*Rogers

• neijia says:

lol, this is sounding more and more like a rd 1 win for Fedor.

Rogers didn’t listen to this advice I guess:
    “It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

• 3OAM says:

He’s sure gonna look like a fxckhead if he gets beaten. However, I like Brett Rogers…I think he’ll admit that Fedor outfought him and be humble about it. He’s no Brock Lesnar (which is a good thing).

• TerribleT says:

Geesh ! Enough of this guy’s mouth already :-(

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• mu_shin says:

Talk is, always has been, and always will be cheap.

Brett has one valid point in my opinion: Fedor has never competed in a cage. Other than that, none of Brett’s comments shed any light on what technical weaknesses he will exploit to beat Fedor.

Yes, Rogers has punching power, but as I’ve posted previously multiple times, I downloaded several of his fights before the Arlovski fight, and never saw any of his opponents push him in any way, or stand in and make Brett prove he can take a shot. If Rogers thinks he’s going to escape unscathed in his match with Emelianenko, I think his confidence is escalating into serious delusional mania.

Fedor is just a man, and as such, he can be beaten. This man however, is the most well rounded heavyweight in terms of his fighting skills that I’ve ever seen, with fearsome striking, good wrestling instincts honed in Sambo and judo, and submission knowledge that has earned him a preponderance of submission victories in his thirty wins. Brett Rogers has never been within ten miles of a man with skills even remotely in the league that Fedor inhabits.

Doesn’t mean Brett Rogers can’t win, but even before I read this article and learned that he’s not studying his opponent, not taking advantage of film to familiarize himself with Fedor’s tendencies, and not acknowledging that he’s never fought an opponent of such elite qualifications, I thought he had very small chance of winning, which sense this article only enhances.

• The only sleeping Fedor will be doing is after he KOs Brett and heads back to the hotel. I like Brett but I dont see anyway he could beat Fedor.

• BigDave says:

I think Brett doth protest to much. everyday there is another article about brett saying he isn’t scared of Fedor and isn’t watching tape of him every chance he gets. Now either Grim is just hyping things up or he is the stupidest man on the planet. As for brett saying Fedor hasn’t faced anyone like him, thats obviouly bull and grim knows it. If this fight goes more then two minutes fedor wins easy.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

It’s real simple-Fedor will and can beat Brett anywhere the fight goes-I would even argue that Fedor has as much punching power as Brett-Fedor will ko the “Grim sleeper” in the first round

• Niv says:

I like the confidence, I like his size and I like the big punchers chance, however I highly doubt he’ll make it out of the first round.

Fedor’s been in there with the best, he’s been the smaller fighter in pretty much every fight and yet he’s done nothing but kick AsS!

The only problem I’ll have with this is when Rodgers loses all the Fedor haters will say the Grim was nobody and was exposed as the next Houston Alexander. How can losing to Fedor instantly expose you as a has been or never been? Sylvia and Arlovski went from guys who were going to expose Fedor to has beens in seconds, personally I’m tired of the crap.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• BigDave says:

In order for Brett to be a has been he has to first become a somebody and lets face it a win over arlovski now is does not carry the weight it did 4 years ago. Brett needs to get some quality opponents under his belt before i call him a top 10 top fighter and although loseing to Fedor is nothing to be ashamed about he needs to get out of the go nowhere organization and get into the ufc where we can see him get tested with every fight out and see what he is really made of.

But for now he is going to go out there and get schooled in mma by fedor for the breif time this fight will last and then he can get on with his career as an up and comer in the ufc and face guys like rothwell, gonzaga, crocop,ect then just maybe he will be seen as a somebody in the HW division.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Lets face it, if he had of said I respect Fedor and I don’t think adjusting to the cage will be a problem for Fedor, there would be no article.

• JBAR says:

I am just ready to see Fedor in a brutal war, I just don’t think Brett is going to be the one to do it.

• [...] Brett Rogers talks to FiveOuncesOfPain.com about his keys to victory against Fedor Emelianenko when the heavyweights collide under the [...]

• MMA-LOGIC says:

P.S. Fedor doesn’t sleep, he is a Russian robot kinda like the terminator…not really but a little bit eh?.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• d55128 says:

The big man is going to make his mark, I won’t take anything away from Fedor, but when when your swinging hammers with heart, itls going to take him down. Going to be a great fight and can’t wait for 11/7.

• imps4343 says:

i remember dana and TS saying how he was to tall of a striker with great takedown def, all the shittalking he did and look what happened. Yes the cage will be diff for fedor, esp when and if he pins rogers against the cage, but although rogers has ko power, he has never really been hit so his chin still remains a question, also his cardio, he seemed to be getting a little winded in his fight with HH, if he had not fouled him by pulling his hair and landing those knees i think the fight may have lasted a little longer, also rogers ground game, he has never been tested by someone with a real ground game, tompson just had size, not really teck