Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera Headlines UFC 105

MISC MMA Chez CoutureA light-heavyweight match-up between Randy Couture and Brandon Vera has been officially announced as the main event for UFC 105.

The event is scheduled to take place from the Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England on November 14.

After recently signing a deal with the UFC that will carry through the duration of his career, Couture has made the decision to make the move back down to light-heavyweight following back to back losses at heavyweight to Brock Lesnar and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Vera has gone 3-1 since making the move to 205 pounds after previously competing at heavyweight, with his only loss in the division coming to Keith Jardine. Vera’s most recent trip to the Octagon was a unanimous decision victory over Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 102.

• I really don’t know how to feel about this fight…

• Angry Mike says:

Vera is a better opponent for Couture than ‘Nog. Couture will have the strength and size advantage, so his grappling and dirty boxing will be more effective. He can still take a punch, so I can see him beating Vera, probably by decision. Vera is quick enough that Couture’s striking outside the clinch may not work for him.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think we will be in for a pretty good fight here. Randy is keeping busy with fights and not taking 8 months off so we should see a pretty sharp Couture. Vera will know this is his chance to really jump up in the LHW standings so he will come to win. If Randy wins I think he will get a shot at Machida/Rua for the belt, but if Vera wins I think he will get another opponent before a title shot.

• I think Randy will get the loser of Machida/Rua before he gets a title shot.

I mean, it IS Randy but getting Vera doesn’t exactly scream title contender…

• Scott H. says:

While it’s a suprise to me, not something I thought of before, I think it’s a great fight to headline a non-PPV event.

I tend to agree a little with Angry Mike, but I think Vera can be dangerous in the clinch, and see this is a pretty even fight, with Couture being the favorite.

Nice work Joe Silva!

• edub says:

I agree good job by Silva here. I think Randy is in trouble here. Vera doesnt really have to worry about Randy’s power and he is good enough in the clinch to keep Randy at bay. Vera by KO.

Then again I said the same thing in Vera’s last fight and that went to decision so go figure.

• Rich S. says:

This is a weird fight.. I don’t see why they put this one together..

Maybe they’re really trying to get Vera popular, if he wins, it’ll be the biggest win of his career and almost automatically get him in title contention..

If Couture wins, I’m sure no one will really be surprised, and like Sergio said, beating Vera doesn’t really put you up there with the top contenders in the LHW division right now..

But, I’m sure Couture’s name alone can get him a title shot..

Vera seems to be more confident now.. Lately, he looks MAD when he gets in the cage, we didn’t even see that back when he was still pushing those HW’s around.. So apparently he’s more serious, and looking to get into contention.. I just wonder where all his knockout power went? He used to destroy guys, now, he can’t seem to hurt them..

We’ve seen Couture rocked plenty of times in his last couple fights, hell, I’m pretty sure he was unconscious before he hit the ground on that last knockdown in the Nog fight.. So, we could see Vera put him out.. But I’m willing to bet Couture takes a decision..

• David Andrest says:

Sergio you are right. My only question is who is being viewed as the “High Water Mark” Vera or Randy. Sadly, I think the UFC is using Couture as the final test to see if Vera is 100% bust.

• Makington says:

I’m sticking with my previous wall of text in the last one that discussed the potential. I think Vera knows that he has to train his ass off and, against Randy, motivation shouldn’t be hard.

I think he’ll be just too technical and precise and will score the upset KO’ing Randy. It’s hard to anticipate someone who can kick like Vera.

Also very interesting to me is what people will say about Vera if he wins dominantly. He went so far from everyone severely nut hugging him to everyone severely hating him to a general acceptance of him. I was never a huge fan of his, but I’ve always been a fan of the way he fights, and I think his speed and accuracy will be the deciding factor in the fight.

• edub says:

I agree with Makington. One thing is this fight to look for is to see if Vera can get that killer instinct back that gave us his early run of stoppages in the UFC.

• metalmulisha says:

This fight is going to be awful. Since Randy has come back from his holdout he’s seem to be content with trying to Box and Vera has developed into nothing more than a counter fighter.
    This could end up being very boring, and the rest of the card is full of guys who’re only in the UFC for the sole purpose of filling up these UK cards.
    I mean at least if Little Nog and Cane where on this card I’d have been interested now I don’t even care if I see it or not.

• Angry Mike says:

• xtreme_machine says:

this fight only ends 2 ways

Vera 1st KO

or

Randy Decision

Done.

• metalmulisha says:

Angry Mike “content with trying to box?” He repeatedly tried to clinch with ‘Nog, who stuffed his takedowns and dumped him on his ass. Couture didn’t have anything else in his arsenal but boxing, and it wasn’t enough. Couture also managed to push Lesnar up against the cage, but didn’t have the strength to keep him pinned. Couture’s problem, other than age, is that he’s predictable.”

lol, when I commented that Couture is content to box I didn’t think someone would take it that I meant he literally just spends all of his time boxing and doing nothing else, but I guess some people have to find something to bitch about.

• submit662266 says:

Mixed-bag in here. I think Randy wins this. Brandon Vera SHOULD win, but he is not right in the head. Someone with that much talent should fight much better than he does. I always have high hopes when he fights, but ever since UFC 60, I always feel let down afterwards. I think Randy pulls out the master strategy and runs a dirty boxing, ground and pound clinic.

• s13 says:

I’m going to roll with reason and my boy brandon vera. Brandon is a monster @ 205 and really just wants to hurt people and that can’t be good for Randy having a brandon vera with something to prove. I wouldn’t look for too many leg kicks from brandon though since he’ll try to avoid being taken down by randy. The fight will hit the ground sooner or later and if brandon doesn’t ko couture i think he will submit him…remember you heard it from me first, brandon by surprise submission if it goes to the ground!

• edub says:

If Nog couldnt tap Randy I dont think Vera is 13. Stranger things have happened though.

• edub says:

And to Angry Mike:

I dont think he tried to clinch nearly enough. I think in the clinch Randy was able to land more and if he would’ve worked more from there consistently in the fight it couldve been a lot closer.

• s13 says:

I don’t know if randy will have an advantage in the clinch vs brandon…remember, brandon was going to be on the olympic greco roman team. Also, i know nog couldn’t sub randy but that’s what he’s known for. I’m just saying brandon has a better chance because his ground game is super underrate and he can possibly catch randy in something.

• xtreme_machine says:

Vera KO knee

• fanoftna33 says:

Randy has fought better strikers before, I think he can still handle Vera.

• “Brandon is a monster @ 205 and really just wants to hurt people and that can’t be good for Randy having a brandon vera with something to prove.”

Is he a monster like this?

• Bullylover says:

Lol that is funny as hell sergio. A lot of people talk about how vera went to purdue and how he was going to be on the olympic greco roman team but yet we never see any wrestling from him. Randy stays wrestling albeit with top notch wrestlers all the time. I’m definately giving the wrestling advantage to randy. The clinch might be deadly for coutoure if Brandon would utilize his knees like he did against mir. At the end of the day I hope randy walks away with the W.