Roger Gracie hints at possible November 20 Strikeforce card

roger-gracieWhile there is no news currently available that a Strikeforce event may be in the works for November 20, recently signed heavyweight Roger Gracie may have let the cat out of the bag.

In a recent interview with Tatame.com the decorated Brazlian Jiu-Jitsu black belt had this to say, “I have plans to fight, maybe on November 20. I still don’t have an opponent, but if my knee is good and I could train until then, I think there’s a lot of chances of me to fight until this day“.

Now if Roger has his dates correct, this would most likely be a possible event being aired on Showtime, being that a Strikeforce Challengers card is already set for Showtime on November 6, with the highly anticipated Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers event taking place the next day, November 7, live on CBS.

As it stands right now, this big man of the long respected Gracie clan has compile a 2-0 record, ending both fights via first round submission.

Roger’s first bout took place at a Bodog event in 2006, before most recently seeing action during Sengoku 2 in May of 2008 where he finished Yuki Kondo off with a first round rear-naked stranglehold.

• fanoftna33 says:

This guy looks pretty impressive, I think Strikeforce is a great place for him now, and maybe a few more years move to the ufc.

• metalmulisha says:

I’ll believe he’s going to fight in MMA again when I see him in the cage. Until then it’s all rumors for Roger.

He was supposed to fight on the Strikeforce card back in June, but backed out and in Sengoku he backed out of a couple different fights.
    It was at the point in Sengoku some of their officials even claimed he was faking an injury.

The guy’s probably the best grappler in the world right now, but I don’t know how much he likes fighting if at all.

• fanoftna33 says:

I had no idea he backed out of that many fights. That does not sound like the kind of thing a fighter with the last name Gracie should be associated with.

• edub says:

Yea metal I heard about all that stuff. I kinda actually give him the benefit of the doubt now tho because he didnt compete in ADCC. If he would ve competed there with the injury situation he was having I would call his attitude for fighting into question too but he didnt.

• metalmulisha says:

Maybe you’re right.
    If he does fight in MMA again after his first fight back which I’m assuming won’t be a difficult opponent.
    Strikeforce should line up a Gracie vs. Werdum fight.

• edub says:

I was thinking of a Gracie vs Cormier matchup. Oldschool first UFC’s style vs style matchup. Wrestling vs Jiujitsu.

• xtreme_machine says:

good call edub

• Austin says:

rear naked STRANGLEHOLD!!! Good touch, Cory.

• dpk says:

I just want to see him get active, and fight 4-6 times over the next year. Fights against guys like Bobby Lashley, or Daniel Puder would be good right now. I don’t think Cormier is ready for this guy yet, but that would be an interesting style match-up