Forrest Grifin finally reveals real reason he ran out of cage following loss to Anderson Silva

forrest griffinThe always-charismatic Forrest Griffin hasn’t had much to do with the media since his first round loss to Anderson Silva, but he recently gave a glimpse into his current status.

The former Light-Heavyweight Champion sat down for an interview this week with MMAFanhouse.com and discussed everything from his new marriage to why he ran from the cage after his loss to “The Spider”.

Initial interviews with Griffin after his UFC 101 loss, were candidly explained away with him saying he must have been on Quaaludes during the fight with Silva. However he offered a little more insight into what went wrong recently, explaining, “I don’t know. I’m going to guess everything. You know where I made my biggest mistake was saying I would fight that guy. That’s definitely the first mistake I made and the biggest.

“I’m not really sure I showed up to fight him. Maybe I thought he was so good that I didn’t have to fight him.”

Perhaps receiving the most criticism was his after fight antics, when Forrest didn’t wait for the official announcement of Silva’s win, and ran out of the arena. Forrest answered his critics the only way Forrest can, “That’s dumb. Those people are idiots. Why? Nobody cares. I mean, I don’t think the losers were going to speak that night anyway, you know. Just get on with the next fight already.

“This guy actually asked me a good question the other day, and this is a real story and I really like it: first off, he was very confrontational; I didn’t like him much to begin with, and he goes, ‘Hey, man, I have to know,’ because it’s his business to know, ‘why did you run out of the cage that night after the Silva fight?’ And I said, ‘Look, man, I haven’t told anybody, let’s keep this on the down low, but the truth is your mom was waiting for me in the back to suck my d***, and you know how good of a b*** j** your mom gives, so I didn’t want to be late for that sh**.’ And that’s pretty much the answer I give. I like that answer, so I’ll give that answer to everyone.”

When asked if the gentleman was a fan or member of the media, Forrest responded, “I don’t know. I bet he’s not a fan anymore, but I tell ya, I’m a fan of his mom’s b*** j***. That’s the important thing, and that’s what I want to come across in your story. If anybody asks me that question, that’s my answer.”

The newly married former champion, doesn’t have plans of returning to the Octagon anytime soon but ended his interview hinting at a possible January return, “You know, it’s hard for me to think about a fight when I’m on vacation or my honeymoon, so I was kind of hoping they would leave me alone until around Oct. 12. You know, when you are actually doing something about your next fight. You know, there’s that Jan. 2 card that looks kind of appealing to me.”

• Jstew3785 says:

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

honestly, i can’t really blame him for being kind of an a** hole lately. the day after his fight, I heard that his jaw was broken/ dislocated, so I went to his website, and all I saw were the most hateful comments to him from literally hundreds of people. dudes saying that he was a coward, that they had lost respect for him, calling him a b*tch, blaming him for losing money that they had bet on him, etc. fact of the matter is he stepped up to the best fighter in the world. Any real fighter will tell you that it takes serious balls just to get in the ring, but to go against Silva…? everyone needs to get off his back. I commend him on sticking to his word (I’ll fight anybody”), and congratulate him on his marraige.

• danw84 says:

People saying he lost them money are retarded. Betting on a +300 underdog is what lost them money.

• edbuzz says:

If the UFC still desires to take this sport mainstream across the country/world/whatever they are going to have to clean up their salty language and bad attitudes. Between Dana White’s recent attacks on fighters/reporters/and other organizations, Forrest Griffin’s comment about some guy’s mother giving the best B.J. and Brock Lesnar giving the middle finger and saying “F” Bud Light because they aren’t paying me so he’s drinking Coors Light, they aren’t exactly helping their case to be a mainstream sport.

• xtreme_machine says:

Forest Griffin vs Rich Franklin

• neijia says:

yeah Griffin vs Franklin. How about Griffin vs Evans 2?

I’m thinking who cares if these guys can’t beat Silva or Machida. Plenty of other entertaining matchups.

And how about a TOURNAMENT, UFC?

• fetussandwich says:

• danw84 says:

fetussandwich: “You gotta love Forrest Griffin. That’s some of the funniest shit I’ve heard in a while”How is that even funny at all? Forrest tells jokes like he fights top competition–at an elementary level.

Care to elaborate? Beating Rua, then Jackson, then losing to Rashad and the best fighter in the UFC, Anderson Silva… Yeah Forrest sucks. He shouldn’t even be in the UFC!! Go back to intro to BJJ Forrest!!!

• Josh_Kahn says:

What Forrest said is disgusting.

• s00nertp says:

knowing Forrest’s style, i think it is hilarious. who knows if it is good for the sport though.

• fetussandwich says:

He won against a Rua who was clearly out of shape that barely beat Coleman and a Jackson who just underestimated him and took him lightly in a decision which I thought could have gone either way. Give either of them rematches and they could run right through him now. I just think he’s extremely overrated. And add his sweet jokes now to running out of the ring after fights as another reason why I find him infinitely obnoxious.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i used to like him, but now i think he is a self important douche. and he isnt funny.

• jj says:

i dont find that funny either. i was hoping he was going to enlighten us as to what was happening, because some of us care whats really going on.

just say you dont want to talk about it instead of being a disgusting pig.

• Lord Faust says:

I guess this is part of his ongoing plan to alienate his fans so that no one will bother him when he loses. I don’t get it, either he suffers from manic depression, or he really has no idea how PR works.

I’m a pretty crude fellow, but even I just rolled my eyes and skimmed past those inane comments. If he keeps this up, he won’t have to worry about anyone bothering him; or paying to see him fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

• Angry Mike says:

The guy got into the sport as a comparatively young man with few responsibilities and nothing to lose. Now he’s getting older, and he can’t help but think about the future. He’s married, and that changes your outlook, too. I heard Mike Tyson say in an interview with Robin Givens that if you want to grow up quickly, just get married. Imo, what you’re seeing is a previously carefree person going through some unavoidable growing pains that result from age and life changes. That doesn’t give him an excuse to behave childishly, but it does explain his behavior. Very soon he’s going to have to reconcile himself to the changes he’s going through and grow up a little. He just has to do it with a lot more public attention than most guys.

• CMT says:

Fetussandwich – your gravatar is obnoxious. Why are people offended by what he says? He’s not talking about your mom or is he?? He did what he set out to do, get people talking about him. Bad publicity is still publicity. It was funny though.

• bizzarmg says:

What forest said was not funny. It doesn’t matter if people are talking shit about him and he’s getting sick of it that’s part of the business. After Rich franklin got KO’d by vitor was did he run out of the ring like a bitch? No he was actually professional enough and man enough to talk about his loss. Rich was even at the post fight conference cracking jokes about how he has trouble with south paw brazilians. The truth is, forest is a sore loser. He lost to keith jardine and made a fool of himself, loses to rashad and acts like a chump and now he’s just being a dick. If he doesn’t like what comes with the business then he should quit. If i was that fan or that media fan i would have spit in forest’s face and called him a fucking pussy. He’s not the same fighter he was when he came into the UFC. He use to be cool but after this silva fight he’s just been crying about how people get on his nerves. Let them talk shit forest its the media they always do. People say that brock lesnar is a piece of shit and i bet brock doesn’t give a shit. Forest needs to act a little bit more professional.

• Makington says:

I guess bizzarmg was the reporter he made the joke to.

Now we know.

• Pajamashark says:

My feeling on people being pissed at him running out or pissed that he didn’t give a “real” interview is that if you are looking for reasons to hate him you will always find them no matter what he does. If you aren’t a fan of his why do you even care what he does?

He disappointed you? Really, is running out of the cage THAT offensive? Buddy, you need thicker skin. The only way Forrest can hurt you is if you are in the ring with him. Otherwise, it’s a whole lot of people reading into things. He’s not a shit talker, he is not a mediawhore, he’s not calling people names and screaming he wants their belts.

He’s good for the sport because he’s a normal dude, not some roided out freakshow screaming threats before a fight and then after a loss giving the same witless “hey I tried my best I got beat he was the better man” interview through a mouth full of crow.

• metalmulisha says:

The always charismatic Forrest Griffin?

How about the always annoying Forrest Griffin. Seems to be much more accurate.

• submit662266 says:

Forrest has chosen a profession that is scrutinized by the public; both his fighting and his comments or behavior. The big thing he has going for him is public perception. People LOVE Forrest b/c he fights his heart out, he doesn’t talk crap (until this recent outburst), and he pulled off two HUGE upsets over Shogun and Rampage. When he makes a truly taste-less and insulting remark like this, it will undoubtedly turn some people away.

Rampage and Shogun may have not been 100%, but Forrest still pulled out the “W.” Can’t take that away from him.

Athletes hate losing (except for Sean Salmon). I don’t blame him for wanting to leave the cage quickly. However, talking with Rogan and admitting that the other guy was better is a great way to win over fans. If a high profile athlete has a huge fan base, people will watch the fights. Advertisers will want them to sell their products ($$). Randy Couture is the poster child for giving his opponent all the credit and people LOVING him for it. His comments after Chuck beat him the first time reflected a man of honesty and who is comfortable in his own skin. We could all learn from that. I think Forrest failed to see the big picture here. We are all human. We all blow it from time to time.

I’m a Forrest fan. I was at the fight when he beat Shogun and I’ll never forget it. It was very disappointing and a bit of a let-down to read the comments he made this week.

• jim7283 says:

F that – he ran out the ring like a little girl and deserves all the negativity that comes with it. You lose a fight, you stand in their and accept your loss like a true warrior – you don’t run away and stay in the closet for months, then come back with weak ass ‘yo momma’ jokes and expect fans to respect you. That was the most embarassing display I’ve ever seen – knocked out in 60 seconds followed by an immediate disappearing act? Forget Forrest – the Dragon era is here…

• danw84 says:

Oh is that how it works jim? Maybe you should tell some of these fighters like Forrest how it is.

The point is, some of you need to wear a little less tight fitting panties and stop getting all worked up over something someone says. This is a sport where two men hit each other with the intention of hurting each other. This isn’t tennis or polo or fencing. Forrest’s entire career is based on hurting people, not being a well spoken polite man.

He never said anything poor of SIlva. His issue is with “fans” who feel like he owes them something. He owes them fighting his best, nothing more. If you don’t like Forrest, fair enough, but making judgments on him for things that I’m sure most people will never experience in their lives is pointless.

• submit662266 says:

jim, I see your point. However, when these guys train the way they do (several grueling months) and then perform very poorly, it is a crushing disappointment. I would have liked to have seen Forrest speak to the defeat and give A. Silva credit, but he didn’t.

I do agree that the Machida era is here. It doesn’t really matter whether Rashad, Shogun, or even A. Silva fight Machida, he’s going crush each of them, one by one.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Forrest has allowed me to peak into “THE VAULT OF SUPERSECRET TECHNIQUES”,including the dreaded ASIAN DART and the KYOKOSHIKIN.
    Personally I wouldn’t fuck with the man.
    If these techniques were legal in the UFC ,Anderson Silva would have left the cage first.

• Forrest, along with the UFC, has positioned himself into a poster child so he gets a lot of interview requests.

“OMG, let’s talk to FORREST, he’s SOOOO funny!”

And he is, for sure. But he’s also a dick. And he can’t deal with disappointment. So what you get is a slightly funny comment about a loss delivered by an asshole.

• Gurthee says:

Here come the key board warriors to state how disresepctful and classless Forrest’s words were. I suppose all fighters should take sensitivity training and attend finishing school so they don’t offend any of you overly sensitive DB’s out there. The guy is a fighter. He beats up people for living. If you don’t like the fact that he’s a sore loser and has a potty mouth I suggest you watch women’s gymnastics or figure skating instead of MMA. Forrest lost and was not happy about it. This is a man’s sport and violence, trash talking/cursing come with the territory. Get a grip and stop acting like metrosexuals.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

inclined to agree with gurthee. we put our celebrities on pedestals, then expect them to behave perfectly because WE SAY SO. the reality is that they put their pants on one leg at a time just like us. I’ve worked with forrest, and he actually is a really nice funny guy. Honestly, he is also the most competitive person I have ever met. He gets pissed when the jits coach (HIS coach) beats him. yes, martial arts is about respect and discipline, but were still human. If forrest’s comments upset you that much , you should really re evaluate your priorities…

• Lord Faust says:

Forrest’s comments don’t have any real impact on my day to day life, but I still think he’s a dick for making them. I’d be making the same comment about a non-celebrity making similar remarks. That’s just not how so-called mature people act. Was it really hard to say “no comment”? I doubt it.

If people don’t want their comments and actions debated by the world at large, there are plenty of jobs that don’t involve performing on a worldwide stage, seen by millions. It’s not like the world is experiencing a shortage of people who embrace celebrity; if it’s such an issue for Forrest — and others like him, who don’t like scrutiny — then he should avail himself of the exit, stage left. There are thousands of people who’d love the opportunity to potentially get KO’ed by Anderson Silva, and not make total asses of themselves.

Forrest is free to make his comments, just as I am free to make mine regarding his conduct. His hubris is his own problem.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

Lord Faust: please don’t misconstrue; i actually do agree with you on a personal opinion level. I am simply looking at it from an objective stand point, and feel that people are making too big of an issue of it.

• Lord Faust says:

Fair enough. And anyone blaming Forrest for “costing them money” should probably enroll in Gambler’s Anonymous, or take a very long walk off a very short pier.

• jmack91 says:

I used to be a big fan of Forrest when he was a plucky underdog.But the guy is starting to wear thin with me in the way he loses fights.He likes to win,but HATES to lose like any of us,but be a man and take your losses.Ever since I saw him cry after the Jardine fight I haven’t lookad at him the same.He has got too much pride and it potrays poorly on him.If he would just answer for his actions and explain why he ran from the cage,instead of getting offended everytime someone asks why he did it,this would be a non issue.

• fetussandwich says:

“Jstew3785 says: I find it comical that someone got offended by what Griffin said considering his name insinuates eating a fetus. Maybe you’re a scientologist or something, I don’t know. You either get Forrests’ humor or you don’t…. guess you don’t.”

I’m not offended that he said that or ever said I was; don’t assume things to scratch your ego. I’m offended he thinks mom jokes are funny. The guy runs out of the ring after being destroyed by someone who made him look no longer relevant, and a fan asks him a legitimate question the entire world watching was wondering, and he disrespects him with his mom joke coping mechanism for lacking any form of an answer that would take him down a level by confronting his glaring ego. The fans helps pay this man’s bills and he makes petty outbursts to avoid logically defending his mediocrity.

And I mean really though, you call my gravatar obnoxious CMT but defend his mom joke mentality. Then you have Gurthee who calls everyone keyboard warriors AS he comes onto a forum to basically call people faggots. It’s a good thing people think before they type the first senseless, aimless comment that comes to mind hoping the asinine drivel that comes out hits a mark with somebody.

Look–this isn’t a publicity stunt; his comments and anger towards the fans, if anything, are because he doesn’t want any attention at all. Dana doesn’t tell him to go make douche bag comments to the loyal fans to draw in more viewers. The only time Forrest was any sort of entertaining was when he was the underdog story to root for. Now, it’s just great seeing him lose and run out of the ring crying after being humbled. And if he continues doing these things to alienate fans, there will be far more people who think like me, and far less people that think like you.

Lord Faust said it best–hubris.

• Jstew3785 says:

• fetussandwich says:

Jstew3785: Fair enough, but, let’s talk offensive. Having a confederate flag with a black kid on it….. or….. having the name “fetus sandwich”…. Really, when you think about it, Forrest cracking a momma joke is far less offensive than the racial undertones of your gravatar or your username.

Apparently you can’t read or chose not to before responding, further proving the point you didn’t care enough to notice and not even realizing it. High five.

Yes, a fetus sandwich has serious racial undertones; that’s sensical. People can eat placentas and call it a religion but a name mocking it is just way over the line and classless. You’re right–a picture of Buckwheat saying the confederate flag is “otay” and not a symbol of racism is terribly detrimental to our livelihoods as Americans. Who wants to diffuse racism with laughter? I like my racism curing itself with gunfire and stereotypes!

It’s great you thought before you formulated your sentences. Maybe you’re Forrest.

• Jstew3785 says:

I can assure you I’m not Forrest. I’ll try to think before I formulate any more sentences. Like when you suggested Herschel Walker fight Tito Ortiz…. that kind of thinking

• fetussandwich says:

That was sarcasm, not sheer illiteracy sprinkled with a hint of inbreeding. The line between making a joke and being a fucking idiot isn’t a thin one, so stop acting like you can’t see it.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m done with you. You have more than shown me the line of being a fucking idiot. Fuck you, I’m out

• fetussandwich says:

You should see how many more times you can fit the word fuck into your sentences. It has been statistically proven that the more times you use fuck in a sentence, the level of meaning in senseless, aimless comments rises 78%