Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi has confirmed that he will defend his title at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers on November 7 which airs on CBS.
The news was confirmed by Mousasi on M-1global.com, authough no opponent has been named at this time.
With Nov. 7 only one short month away, speculation is surrounding only two fighters.
One is Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Mousasi was scheduled to fight Sokoudjou in the semi-finals of DREAM‘s Super Hulk Tournament, but withdrew from the fight due to a shoulder injury. Sokoudjou went on to defeat Mousasi’s replacement Bob Sapp quickly and without suffering any noticable damage in the bout.
Paulo Fihlo has also been rumored. Fihlo and Mousasi engaged in a bitter war of words after the Light Heavyweight made quick work of Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Fihlo had been quoted by Tateme.com as saying “I wanna fight Mousasi and show that with against me is a whole different thing… He doesn’t have my strength, he doesn’t have my level on the ground. He can be a better striker, but he doesn’t have my strength and he’ll go down once and be submitted…He’s well trained, but I don’t think he’s healthy enough to beat me…If he wins, I don’t even want my salary.”
Mousasi was quick to fire back in the now infamous Fighters.com interview in which Mousasi said. “We all saw what happened when he came to America,” Mousasi said. “He got beat up. Now he’s back in Japan, and he feels like a kid in a candy store. He can use all kinds of steroids, and I think the steroids have gone to his head,”
Regardless, with such late notice one has to wonder what Strikeforce is doing if their Light Heavyweight Champion is scheduled for a fight in 30 days and is still not aware who he is facing.