Jamie Varner: ‘I want to apologize to Donald Cerrone for every ill word I ever said about him’

Jamie VarnerWhat was fast-becoming one of the most heated feuds in Mixed Martial Arts could be simmering down now thanks to an apology issued by current WEC Lightweight Champion Jamie Varner on the popular Underground forum.

His statement comes on the heels of a hard-fought bout between personal rival Donald Cerrone and newly crowned interim champ Ben Henderson this past Saturday night. It reads as follows:

First of all I want to apologize to Donald Cerrone for every ill word I ever said about him. I’d also like to apologize to all his fans and anyone else I may have pissed off by my actions. Donald is a great fighter that fights with all heart and he’s my toughest fight to date. I wish him nothing but the best and it was an honor to fight a fighter with such heart and skill.

I have a tough test ahead. I’m really looking forward to getting back in there and proving to all of you why I am the WEC lightweight champ. I know there are always gonna be haters. I hope most of you accept my apology because you guys are the reason why I’m able to do what I love for a living. Thanks for taking the time to read this and its time to go train.

The bad blood between both fighters originated shortly after Varner defeated “The Cowboy” at WEC 38 earlier this year. The bout was stopped midway through the fifth frame when Cerrone landed an illegal knee which led to the champion complaining of some trouble seeing. A technical decision was issued in Varner’s favor leaving some, including his opponent, feeling as though he may have been trying to take an easy way out instead of risking a loss in the last few minutes of the round. Their rivalry was even alleged to have extended a backstage confrontation at UFC 101 of which Cerrone said, “Sh*t was about to go down. The things I said to him as a man, I can’t believe you would stand there and take…”

Thus far no response has been issued from Cerrone in regards to Varner’s extension of a proverbial olive branch.

• Scottish_MMA_fan says:

Have to admit i missed the fight, but from hearing things from other people and sources up until this weekend i was on the side of the cowboy. From the press conferences held this week tho and especially the WEC fan Q &A at the weigh in, i’ve come round to varner’s side or at the very least back to neutral and think it was just a case of 2 guys having a personality clash and cerrone being consumed by the fact the fight never went the distance.

I thought this was clear to see in his build up towards henderson, and no matter how many times he said he wasnt looking past ben, it was blatantly obvious he was looking straight at varner and was probably a big factor into why he lost the fight, particularly his slow start.

Show of class by the champ in my opinion.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 1

• edub says:

Good for Varner. It appears to me the two probably had a conversation face 2 face at the WEC event on saturday. Glad to see them hash things out.

Good see Varner is back healthy again. I think Varner KO’s Benson in the second or third. I really don’t get the feeling from most of the people on here that Benson is gonna smash Varner. I think Varner is better in every part of the game, except toughness and submission defense.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 2

• Eh says:

I think Varner is starting to realize he’s looked at as a “heel”,and that wasn’t his intent. He seems genuinely shocked when the crowd boos him. I think Henderson may take him out with superior cardio.

• neijia says:

dunno about this feud.

all I can say is thank goodness the dweebs with the abs are gone!!!

• BigDave says:

I’m glad to see Varner man up and apoligize for the stupid shit he said. Now lets see him back in the cage fighting. I think he lost the fight to cerrone but a bad decision was given by judges and cerrone sold an fake injury to go to the cards. I’m curious to see what happens when henderson has him in trouble. I’ve been a fan of been since I saw him live at MFC 17 when he won by guillotine choke. I think he has a good chance at beating Varner by Submission. His cardio is top notch as is his submission defence. No matter what should be a good fight.

• BigDave says:

i ment varner sold an injury not cerrone.

• paddiosf says:

He needs to change his public perception of him, he was booed left & right during the telecast..
    I think he is a good guy and I think most people think he is a spoiled brat or cry baby..I think he is a good fighter , his fights are all good and come to fight ever bout…

• xtreme_machine says:

I did not like Varner because he spits his mouth piece every time he gets clocked

not because he went to a decision and won against Cerrone

Also, i think that Henderson would GnP out in the 2nd Round

and then we get the Rematch Cerrone vs Varner II

• cocoonofhorror says:

i just hope Varner’s shoulder-retina has healed up.

• Rich S. says:

I’m not so sure I’ll be gaining respect for Varner any time soon.. But, I suppose this is a step in the right direction..

As for Henderson/Varner, I’m with edub.. Henderson definitely has the tools to take out Varner: strong, smart wrestling, and a load of speed and heart.. But, his chin seems to be a problem.. We haven’t seen him KO’d in the WEC yet, but we’ve certainly seen him hanging on by a thread at least twice now.. And with that said, I think Varner probably has the heaviest hands in the WEC’s LW division right now..

So, as much as I would like to see Varner dethroned, I think we’ll have to wait for the Cowboy and his chin of steel to get another shot..

• xtreme_machine says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 2 Thumb down 13

• fetussandwich says:

Remember that time Jamie Varner turned into Junior Dos Santos and Donald Cerrone turned into Gabe Gonzaga? I do.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 4

• Rich S. says:

xtreme_machine: Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga @ UFC 108yeah baby!

Apparently you’re excited.. But, you could’ve at least posted that in a UFC related thread..

• xtreme_machine says:

who cares man that is a great fight

but here is a question if Santos win does he get the next shot?

• slammy862 says:

What’s with the need to be liked in mma? All it does is create anticipation, which is a good thing.

NFL has the Raiders.

NBA had the Pistons.

NHL had the Bruins.

MLB has the Yankees

Just be who you are and f*** the rest…

Long live Brock..feed off the hate!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 8

• shotokai_ says:

Wow, this commenting business has become a lot more hi tech since the last time I was on here! Exciting stuff.

Varner is image conscious, a little insecure, and people like that can’t handle being booed; it’s as simple as that.

I doubt this apology has its roots in his desire to make up with Cerrone, why would he be so desperate to do that? He got booed and had the piss ripped out of him at that WEC presser recently, the one with Mir and Torres, and I have a feeling that was the final straw for him, he decided to act. Decided to try get some fans back on his side. And judging by the comments on this site, it’s worked. Easy as that! Someone should tell Lesnar. Oh no wait he doesn’t give a f*ck.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

it wasn’t just varner “injured” in the cerrone fight. look back at when he fought razor rob. rob hits him hard enough to knock the mouth peice out of varners mouth, and as he advances varner calls a TIME OUT ( literally making the sign with his hands) so he could go get his mouth peice and recover.

• manny says:

Funny how he apalogized to him after Cerrone lost to Henderson. That’s more of an insult to Cerrone, especially when he has been avoiding him. Its like haha too bad you won’t fight me again. What a loser. i hope Henderson Ko’s this guy.

• mmajosh says:

I’m very proud of this. I wish they could do a telecast version of this. This is how a TRUE professional athlete presents himself. I would love for the kids to see this kind of attitude, so they could understand good sportsmanship. I hate all the drama and crap. Fights should be about skill and heart…..leave everything else outside of the cage.