Shawn Tompkins Leaving Xtreme Couture?

shawn tomkinsIt appears as though longtime Xtreme Couture striking coach Shawn Tompkins will be leaving the world famous Las Vegas based gym in the very near future.

FiveOuncesofPain.com has been able to confirm through sources close to the situation that the widely respected coach has plans to part ways with the gym due to undisclosed circumstances.

A former professional fighter and coach for the Los Angeles Anacondas with the IFL, Tompkins has been instrumental in the careers of succesful fighters such as Chris Horodecki, Sam Stout, Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort during his time spent as a top level mixed martial arts instructor.

Stay tuned to FiveOuncesofPain for any further developments on this story.

• edub says:

Uh oh Neil Melanson beat up Shawn Tompkins.

• David Andrest says:

Wow, Big story Cory.

• metalmulisha says:

David Andrest: Wow, Big story Cory.

Yeah right one of the top striking coaches in MMA leaving one of the biggest fight camps in the sport isn’t worth mentioning.

• xtreme_machine says:

it is because a lot of their fighters have recently lost a stand up fight

Randy
    Carano
    Forrest
    Kampmann
    Trigg
    Sadollah

hey but at least Tyson and Vitor won via KO

• xtreme_machine: it is because a lot of their fighters have recently lost a stand up fight
    Randy
    Carano
    Forrest
    Kampmann
    Trigg
    Sadollah
    hey but at least Tyson and Vitor won via KO

So I don’t know what point you’re trying to prove…

• David Andrest says:

metalmulisha:

??? I’m a little confused by this

• David Andrest:
    ???I’m a little confused by this

I think metal thought you were being sarcastic?

• BigDave says:

Maybe Tompkins wanted to fight again and Randy laughed at him because he was a crappy fighter.
    His pro record was 0-4 and was tko’d 4 times by strikes.

No, seriously I think he is a good coach but maybe he wants to explore new a career so all the power to him.

Good Luck Shawn!

• kenonbass says:

I wonder if Junie’s recent breakdown had anything to do with it?

He was living w/ Tompkins at the time and maybe Couture said there’s no way you let Browning back in that gym.

Iole’s article showed that Tompkins had a serious emotional attachment to Browning and that they were pretty close.

Who knows, but very interesting. I highly doubt that he was let go. He’s still one of the best mma striking coaches in the game. He’s prob opening up his own gym.

• David Andrest says:

VinnyMagalhaes:
    None of these fighters have Shawn as their striking coach though .(except for Vitor who actually trains with Shawn)
    So I don’t know what point you’re trying to prove…

Thanks for stopping by Vinny. Great showing at ADCC!

• David Andrest says:

Sergio Hernandez:
    I think metal thought you were being sarcastic?

not at all, ( as I’m sure you know) this to me is pretty big news.

• metalmulisha says:

Sergio Hernandez:
    I think metal thought you were being sarcastic?

Yeah you’re right that’s exactly what I thought Sergio, but apparently not.

My mistake.

• edub says:

VinnyMagalhaes: None of these fighters have Shawn as their striking coach though . (except for Vitor who actually trains with Shawn)So I don’t know what point you’re trying to prove…

Im not worthy! Im not worthy! Im not worthy!

…Waynes world if anyone is wondering.

• GassedOut says:

Is it just me or does that picture of Tompkins look like Michael Weatherly from NCIS? ;)

Anyway, best of luck to Shawn in whatever he’s moving to. He’s one of the greats.