Gray Maynard vs. Nate Diaz to headline UFC Fight Night 20

graymaynard_wearingburnout“The Ultimate Fighter 5” winner Nate Diaz will face unbeaten contender Gray Maynard in a lightweight bout set to headline UFC Fight Night 20.

The bout, scheduled for January 11th 2010 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, has been confirmed through the Gracie camp via Graciefighter.com.

Diaz is coming off a submission victory over Melvin Guillard at UFC Fight Night 19 last month, ending a two fight-losing streak. The Gracie Jiu-Jitsu brown belt had won his previous five fights over such notables as Josh Neer and Kurt Pelligrino.

Maynard, who was also on TUF 5, is coming off a decision victory over Roger Huerta in Semptember. The Xtreme Couture fighter has won all six UFC appearances, since getting a no-contest at the TUF finale against Rob Emerson. “The Bully” has been climbing up the lightweight ranks and should be close to a title shot should he defeat Diaz.

The two are no strangers to each other in the cage, as they met head on during the semi-finals while both were on the Spike reality show back in 2007. Diaz beat Maynard by way of guillotine choke in the second round before eventually winning the finale against Manny Gambaryan.

• fanoftna33 says:

Finally the rematch i have been wanting to see. The first fight was pretty good until Grey gassed a bit and Diaz pulled a good submission off. I think this fight will be a lot like Koscheck vs Sanchez 2 where Grey will try to keep it standing about 80% of the fight, using takedown to score points at the end of every round. I am pulling for a Diaz win here by 3rd round submission.

• dpk says:

The first fight was damn good. Maynard was trying to ground and pound Diaz, but Nate just kept throwing up sub attempt after sub attempt, and then finally caught him.

I think Gray has grown more as a fighter, and I’m going to take him by UD, but it will be a fun close fight. This is giving Gray a chance to get rid of the one ghost in his closet before a title shot.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think you are right DPK, Gray has deffinatly grown more as a fighter than Diaz since the show and the only weakness Diaz has shown is to high caliber wrestlers who can avoid a submission. I am still hoping for Diaz win but more likely you are right on about a ud for Maynard.

• moosebaby02 says:

I have to agree with dpk as well. I like both of these guys but not for the same reasons. I have Maynad by UD Unless he trys to keep it on the ground then he will eventually get caught in some kind of sub

• JOEgun says:

yesss! i always like watching Diaz fight. Although Diaz had trouble getting Guida off and im sure Maynard may try the same thing to pull off a UD, Im hoping Diaz will finish this fight by any means. Go Diaz!!

• Angry Mike says:

Maynard seemed hesitant in his fight with Huerta, which suprised me. If he fights that way against Diaz, he might avoid the sub but lose by decision. In order to win he has to strike more aggressively and just accept the risk of takedowns.

• Rich S. says:

This is interesting.. Maynard is leaps and bounds better now than he was on the show..

I would like to see Diaz win here, but he really only has ONE chance.. He’s going to have to get Gray with a choke.. Gray has crisp, powerful striking and a strong chin.. Great, powerful wrestling with good submission defense (I’m assuming).. And, obviously, his cardio is far better now.. After all, he’s gone three hard rounds with the likes of Frankie Edgar, Roger Huerta, and Jim Miller..

Also, I’m willing to guarantee he won’t tap to any submission, which is why Diaz is going to have to catch him with a choke..

• Makington says:

I believe Gray can take this fight. I believe he will be extra cautious about it for a few reasons. A potential title shot is riding on the win. This is a fight he knows he should win. And obviously, this would mean a lot to himself as a fighter to avenge his exhibition loss on the show.

I think Gray has the wrestling and power to dictate the fight and I believe the only way he will lose is if Diaz pulls off a slick submission from the bottom.

• hindsightufuk says:

dont know which way its gonna go but i’m liking it. would love to see Diaz win

• edub says:

Yes yes yes yes yes. I get to see it liiiiiivvveeeee in the front fow baby!

SHould be a back and forth battle. I think Gray overtrained a bit on the show so it hurt is cardio, but Nate still has the win in the first fight. Don’t know who to pick and don’t know who to root for yet, but I know I will be as happy as Quagmire in the playboy mansion.

• BigDave says:

I’ll only say I want Maynard to win and convincingly……..Nah F**kit Gray destroy this chump and smack his bitch ass brother around well your at it.

• Bullylover says:

diaz by sub rd 2 via triangle.Diaz all the way.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like that post from BullyLover rooting against The Bully!

• Bullylover says:

well im not a fan of gray maynard’s as i think he’s a boring fighter , and i’m from stockton so of course i’m going to root 4 the hometown boy.my name bullylover stands for my love of bullystlye dogs like american bulldogs and pitbulls not graymaynard.

• fanoftna33 says:

You have good taste in dogs for sure. As for the fight like i said earlier, I am really hoping for a Diaz win here as he is a much better overall fighter all he lacks is wrestling. Greay has a great wrestling base and decent strikes, thats all.

• Bullylover says:

i definately agree that diaz is the overall better fighter he was then,and is now.The reason people say that gray has progressed more than nate is because he was just a wrestler/brawler when he was on tuf 5.Nate was already a well rounded fighter before that.It’s just that evryone’s been able to see gray evolve from a wrestler to a mixed martial artist sorta of like josh koscheick.As fan said earlier the only thing that nate is really missing is wrestling.If maynard tries to keep it standing he’s going to have a hard time getting through diaz reach plus diaz is the better technical boxer.Plus if gray takes him down he’ll have to worry about diaz’s constant sub attempts.Maynards best bet is to try and smother diaz’s jiu jitsu like clay and stevenson.While gray may have the wrestling to do that he’ll end up leaving himself open while trying to dish out some gnp.Regardless i see diaz with his hands raised by either a triangle choke while gray is in his guard ground n pounding or modified gullotine when gray goes into to shoot.

• scarred fighter says:

If the fight stays standing I would honestly give the advantage to Diaz. I think his boxing is much better. So gray will be forced to take the fight to the ground where he will eventually get submitted. The Diaz brothers are on a nother level with their jiu-jitsu cant wait to watch.