Houston Alexander vs. Kimbo Slice at the TUF 10 Finale?

Houston AlexanderThe Ultimate Fighter 10 is nearing the halfway point, and the teasers for a Kimbo Slice return to the show have finally stopped. One rumor that will not go away is a suspected December match up between the YouTube brawler and UFC veteran Houston Alexander.

FiveOuncesofPain.com first confirmed through sources close to the possible bout that one of the fighters had been approached about the match-up, and the latest piece of the puzzle may have been uncovered by MMAJunkie.com who are reporting that the Nebraska based light heavyweight will be applying for a fighter license at a November 4th hearing to be held by the Nevada State Athletic Commision.

At this point the only UFC card scheduled for Nevada in December would be The the TUF 10 finale which is set for December 5 at The Pearl in the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

As we all know Kimbo Slice was eliminated from competition early in the season by Roy Nelson. While some can question his skills, Slice is clearly a draw and is ( at least) partially responsible for the highest rating in the show’s 10 season history.

Houston Alexander would enter the fight coming off a victory at Adrenaline MMA IV which took place in September. Alexander was 2-3 in the UFC prior to taking the fight in Adrenaline, is widely criticized for a lack of sufficient ground skills. ( a trait shares with Slice)

Nothing has been officially confirmed by the UFC at this time, however all signs are pointing to a meeting between the two fighters.

• moosebaby02 says:

Houstan was 2-3 in the UFC. He won his first two fights then tailed off 3 L in a row

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 5

• Kamakosmo says:

I thought Alexander was 2-3 in the UFC, not 0-3? Either way, Alexander wins this fight….Slice never wins a fight in the UFC…..Lock it in.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 12

• primetime says:

Neither fighter is well rounded, they are both “street certified.” I think it’s a good matchup for both.

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 3

• Cory Brady says:

Yep, he was 2-3, thanks guys!

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Kimbo will take this fight, if Houston hasnt learned any new ground skills. Kimbo was koed by Petrizelli but has shown a solid chin before and looked like he could take a good shot from Nelsen, where Houston has shown in almost every fight(except against Sakara and Schafer) that he does not have a decent chin. I give this one to Kimbo by ko.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 12

• hindsightufuk says:

i think they should put Kimbo, Houston and Kongo in the cage, the three worse ground fighters in the recent history of the UFC, have a rule of no punches or kicks, just pure grappling, itd be like watching three really pissed, fat cockroaches laying on their backs trying to get up.

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 12

• Makington says:

Houston Alexander is so bad at the ground game that when you play the UFC video game as Houston Alexander, it shuts off if you get taken down.

On a serious note, I think this will be a good fight for both fighters. Neither would have to worry about the ground game so they both could focus on what got them notoriety. I would see it being a very good fight, with either fighter having a strong chance to take it home.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 4

• 27jride says:

I know that neither of them are great fighters but it’s SUCH an interesting fight to watch that I am foaming at the mouth!!! Guaranteed someone loses consciousness violently! Only question I have is, IF they ARE gonna fight it has to be at heavyweight right? Kimbo would never be able to cut to LHW.

• HonorableAggression says:

Lets be clear, this is Kimbo’s only chance in the UFC, against fellow strikers who have no ground game. I look forward to it but I honestly can’t see Kimbo getting past Houston, or any other UFC fighter for that matter. Houston’s chin is questionable, yes, but he’s put away far more dangerous opponents than Kimbo has ever come close to, and Kimbo, aside from heavy strikes, hasn’t shown me anything in terms of angles, footwork, etc. Also, how can you say Kimbo has shown a good chin in the past when you look at the quality of opponents he’s taken shots from? Houston’s a more technical striker, and he’s desperate for a W, I give him the edge.

• Niv says:

OK I know I’m going to get ripped for this one but here goes.

Kimbo represents money for the UFC, like it or not he draws fans who don’t usually watch mma.

The Nelson vs Kimbo fight was the fourth most watched mma fight ever!

Significance is that Kimbo will be given a couple of tailor made opponents like LHW Houston Alexander (who has zero ground game) to give Kimbo a couple of legitimate wins in the UFC. The hype kicks in, and he gets a title shot with Brock and the UFC has its biggest draw ever.

Of course Kimbo needs a couple of wins, but like I said Alexander is tailor made for him. They’ll throw another guy at him that they’re sure he can take and it’s on.

Wait a second, what am I talking about? All he needs is one win and he could get a title shot, I believe that was done before.

It’s all about marketing and making money, nothing else.

• greg says:

… Houston has some of the most explosive knees from the clinch I’ve ever seen… something I’ve never seen Kimbo deal with. Houston by K.O. early round 1…

• GassedOut says:

It’s an interesting fight for a couple of reasons. Sure, Fergusson is a can, but so is Alexander. If you notice how Alexander GOT his 2-3 record in the UFC, it’s because he took his first two opponents by surprise. The other three guys then had tape on him and he was more of a known quantity. And it’s not like you can’t find footage of Kimbo fighting anywhere.

Both fighters are smart, and they’ll prepare for each other based on that. And you know what? They’re both really nice, down-to-earth guys as it turns out – we got to see Kevin’s personality come out on TUF, and as far as Houston goes, he deserves all the respect in the world for giving up a kidney to save his daughter’s life.

Sometimes the most entertaining fights are where two fighters aren’t the most skilled and they just swing for the fences. I think that’s where this is going – slugfest. As for Alexander’s chin, sure it’s suspect, but to me, so is Fergusson’s power. Who has he KTFO’d? The first guy he fought in EliteXC pretty much took a dive, then he knocked out Tank Abbot (I love tank, but that brother’s fighting days were done 5 years ago or longer), then he “stopped” the Colossus in one of the most questionable stoppages I’ve ever seen. Then Seth “Slushie King” Petruzelli KOs him in under a minute. C’mon, Seth Petruzelli? He’s a TUF CASTOFF for pete’s sake. Second rate fighter KOs Kimbo Slice. I don’t know about Fergusson’s chin either.

And you know what that analysis makes? A really good fight in the making! Both guys have holes, both will swing for the fences in any way they know how. I’m looking forward to it.

• shotokai_ says:

• scarred fighter says:

I think it will be a really good fight,and will draw a lot of people to the finnally. It goes to show you the argument that it dont matter if a fighter has worked his butt off with back to back victories, all that matters is what will sell tickets. Its kimbo’s first fight in the UFC and he is going to be the Headliner. What the hell is up with that. ITS ALL DOWN HILL FROM THIS POINT ON.

• scarred fighter says:

shotokai_: I think Alexander takes this fight. I would think he has the more technical stand up, and his natural power for his weight will make up sufficiently for the size difference. I also think that should it go to ground, Alexander will have the advantage there as well.Don’t get me wrong Alexanders ground game for a UFC caliber fighter is shocking, but Kimbo said numerous times on TUF that he has trained “jiu-jitsu a few times” – that’s crazy. For someone like me who is reasonably well versed on the ground, to think I could possibly submit a UFC standard fighter is ludicrous. Not saying that I could or would, but point being, Kimbo is a joke on the ground.And if Kimbo tags Alexander on the feet, who’s to say that he wouldn’t try take it to the ground – I certainly would if I was him. I am 100% confident that Alexander has trained ground more than “a few times”, to say the least – he actually looked quite effective in top position against Alessio Sakara. No one thought Hardonk vs Barry would go to the ground, or that either fighter would want it there; but it’s funny what happens when you get hit real hard.Either way I’m going to pick Houston Alexander by 2nd TKO from mount. Sorry Kimbo fans.

I would supmit kimbo with out a doubt. I know about 3 white belts that could do the same that guy is a joke. He won’t ever get any better on the ground because he dont want to and he has no love for the ground game.thats why even if he ever learns anything he wont ever be able to use it.

• Makington says:

This is imo one of the extremely few fights that Kimbo has a chance of winning in the UFC, and let’s face it, now that Dana has him he is trying to make as much money off of him as he can. The only other fighter who is as bad at the ground is, as stated, Cheick Kongo. But who sees Cheick losing a stand up fight to Kimbo? I don’t. If Kimbo beats Houston, who is next for him to fight. Dana would want him to win so that he can make the jillions of dollars off of him, but that would mean Dana would have to bring cans in from outside the UC just so they could lose to Kimbo and hype him up.

• fanoftna33 says:

Makington: It’s kind of like Gabriel Gonzaga. He has been riding his Cro Cop kick for quite a while now, Everytime he takes a step up in competition he loses, then beats a no name fighter that the UFC brings in to help him keep his reputation. I get he’s a good fighter, but basically the only thing he has ever done is kick Cro Cop’s head into the nosebleeds, and lose to the title contenders.

Makington great point on Gonzaga, I have felt this way for some time. And for Kimbo I think this is a very winnable fight for him. Also who does he fight next. I think the ufc will use somebody they really want to push but also a lower card guy so they can make a name for him if he wins.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

The UFC is the biggest MMA org in the world and the self proclaimed “best”.
    Are Alexander and Kimbo top 10, top 20, top 30, or even top 50 in there weight classes?
    I will have a guess and say No! They are there based on popularity alone. So all those that said that Pride was a freak show and that it was a circus at times, you are about to see the Kimbo the bearded lady take on the Houston the strong man whilst ring leader Dana White tells us that they are amazing and death defying.