Anderson Silva Still Recovering from Surgery, Will Not Fight at UFC 108

Anderson SilvaIt appears as though Vitor Belfort will have to wait a bit longer for his shot at the UFC Middleweight Championship.

According to the current title-holder’s manager, Ed Soares, Anderson Silva is still undergoing physical therapy for recent surgery to his elbow and will be unable to compete on January 2nd at UFC 108 (as had been previously rumored). Soares made the comments in a brief statement to MMAJunkie, where he also reiterated his belief “The Phenom” is undeserving of an opportunity to win Silva’s belt.

“Like I said before, I don’t think he deserves a title shot, but that’s over with now,” explained Soares. “It is what it is. Whoever the UFC puts in front of us, we’ll fight. We’ve never picked our opponents.”

As far as a date “The Spider” will be ready to face Belfort, Soares continued, “We have to wait and see…Anderson went back to Brazil, and he’s continuing his physical therapy there, but there’s no set date yet. Anderson’s recovery is going really, really well. He’s coming back and his recovery is doing really good. His physical therapy is going really well. He’s getting better range of motion. He’ll be back 100% for sure.”

• HonorableAggression says:

Best of luck for a quick recovery to anderson, hope we see you soon!
    While I’d love to see this fight, I agree that Vitor should maybe have had at least one fight (post-return) at MW before getting a title shot, but he is a big draw and he has been successful recently outside the ufc, so those are all legitimate factors to argue for the match.
    Honestly there aren’t many good matchups for Anderson left at MW anyway, I’d almost rather he just move up and fight LHW for the remainder of his contract, after this fight.

• jj says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 2

• gy614x says:

jj: While Ed and Anderson might not pick their opponents they sure complain a lot about everyone being undeserving.

true, but Silva always dominates……lol

• Makington says:

Silva needs to decide whether he is healthy enough or not. It seems every other day there’s a new article saying he is either completely injured, or completely recovered.

If I could get my precious little way, I would have Marquardt fighting for the belt, but I can see why the UFC wants Vitor to go for it. I mean, everyone wants to make money, right?

I believe Anderson would win no matter what, but I think Nate has the best chance at taking him down.

On a side(ish) note, and this is obviously premature, but does anyone else think Aaron Simpson has all the tools to be a champ at MW someday? That guy is amazingly well rounded, from a great camp, and can throw take downs faster than I can blink. The only thing about him is he is 35 years old, so he doesn’t have the time to grow as a fighter that some young prospects do unfortunately.

• The Driver says:

I’m a little bummed cuz I was really hoping to see Anderson back in action on the Jan 2 card. But, oh well. Like Soares sys, “it is what it is”.

I don’t know if this has been confirmed or not, but I read somewhere that the fight between Lersnar and Carwin was taking place at 108. Will the UFC add another strong bout to that card now that Anderson won’t be able to compete or will they leave it like that?

It’s definitely been a rough week for the UFC with all the injuries and illness. Lesnar, Alves, Anderson, Lyoto apparently injured his hand during the Shogun fight and will undergo surgery, I mean… It’s tough being Joe Silva right now, especially when fans always expect a superb fight card at year end.

Anyways, here’s to Anderson and all the other injured fighters heal up fast and come back strong. Cheers!

• 27jride says:

Ed Soares is a douche bag and Anderson has turned into a real dick since he fought Henderson. THERE, I SAID IT! Am I the only one tired of Silva’s arrogant B.S.? Granted, he is no doubt the best in his division and could probably destroy at least half of LHW but, is that a legitimate excuse for treating his peers and the fans like shit? I used to be a HUGE fan of his when he fought Rich and was a gentleman to the bone but after his fight with Cote’ when he was acting like the world owed him something (and I believe that was the infamous “Ed Soares deliberate mis-translation incident when Silva was trashing everyone within earshot) I started to lose respect for him. Since then, it’s been one dick statement after another and I don’t think the sport needs a condescending prick at the top of the mountain- no matter how great a fighter he is.
    I hope who ever fights him next kicks the shit out of him and shuts him up- maybe humble him back to the fighter and seemingly great guy he was when he entered the UFC!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 4

• BigDave says:

• JabCrossHook says:

With Vitor, all it takes is one solid connection (off a jab in case of Franklin) to get you dazed enough to get rocked by a few more and that’s it. Neither Henderson, or Nate are capable of that. That’s why Vitor deserves the title shot, because he’s dangerous, and explosive enough to catch Anderson, but he still has to deal with Silva’s reach advantage. But there is no question who possess more power in their hands.

• Lord Faust says:

I totally agree with Mr. Soares… The only way the title shot would be more offensive is if Vitor had only fought, say, Chris Leben and had been given a title shot.

Glass houses, good sir… May want to put those stones down.

• Paulo says:

I’m really getting sick and tired of Ed and Anderson saying everyone is undeserving. Henderson doesn’t deserve a rematch, Vitor doesn’t deserve a title shot. Wanderlei doesn’t belong in the middle weight class with him. Maia shouldn’t be calling out for a title shot. They also both said Shogun was undeserving of Lyoto. Shogun, who was coming off two wins in a row. How easily these MMA Divas forget that Anderson himself was given a title shot after ONE win in the octagon against Chris Leben. The same Chris Leben who is a gatekeeper at best in the division. I used to really like Anderson but he has become the MMA version of Madonna. He’s a diva and I for one just hope that Vitor smashes his face in. If that doesn’t happen, I would really hope he fights Shogun at 205 for the belt after the “undeserving” Shogun gets the belt (that he should already have) when he beats Lyoto twice in a row.

• Makington says:

BigDave: Just another case of silva ducking a real opponent because he know there is a good chance he gets his ass handed to him. I’m so tired of it, he has not fought top fighters in his recent fights with his last 4 fights being against ok fighter and now it looks like it will be 2 years since he fought henderson before we see him in there with a top level guy. I hope when he comes back that Belfort smashes him.

I’m sorry but I really don’t see how you can say he’s ducking opponents. He recently stepped up and fought a former world LHW champ, who was supposed to give him his biggest challenge. You saying his last 4 fights against ‘ok’ competition shows to me that you are just a Silva hater more so than someone who actually look at things subjectively. It’s not his fault he walked right through Forrest, but he was supposed to be an extremely tough test. How could he be afraid to fight Henderson or Marquardt when he has fought them before? The guy has perhaps the best track record in MMA. He didn’t pick his fighters when he fought Cote or Leites, but it was evident quickly that neither fighter really deserved to be in the ring with Silva.

I get it that he kind of comes off like a goof saying how Vitor doesn’t deserve a shot when he got one after one fight, but those were also different circumstances. Anderson came in with an extreme amount of hype, and at a time when there were no real contenders, and the UFC were trying to get any good middleweight fighter they could. Of course they’re going to capitalize on Silva’s coming to the UFC, and it was obviously a good call the way he cleaned out his division. The thing with Vitor coming is he hasn’t fought at 185, and there are other legit contenders that have done more (Marquardt, Henderson) I see why Dana wants Vitor to fight for the belt, since more people will buy to see him face Silva, who hasn’t beaten him before, but Vitor doesn’t deserve the shot over other fighters. When Silva got his title shot, there was really no one else who deserved it more.

So casing point, it just blows my mind that anyone could say Anderson is afraid to fight someone when you look at the list of fighters he has fought, and how bad he beat them.

• Jstew3785 says:

Makington, It’s pointless to try to explain to Big Dave that Silva doesn’t pick his fights. He just can’t seem to get that through his head. This is the 3rd time at least that I remember him spreading this idiocracy. The only fight that you could say Silva “picked” was Griffin, which is a “real” opponent. How anyone can say that a former LHW champ and a current top 10 LHW isn’t a “real” opponent is beyond me. If Dana and Joe Silva want him to fight Belfort, he will, simple as that. But it’s up to THEM, not Silva! If Silva refuses to fight Belfort, then you can say that he is ducking opponents.

• Jstew3785 says:

I guess GSP ducks quality opposition too considering how he dominated Serra, Hughes, Fitch, Alves

• nate says:

silva definitely ducks opponents! they throw a right he ducks left, they throw the left he ducks right.. hands at his side smile on his face.. honestly travis lutter and hendo are the only people to give a modern day silva trouble.. even then look what happened. i hate to sound like a dickrider but people while people (hendo, nate, vitor) have a CHANCE to beat anderson… realistically i don’t see any of them defeating him. like his personal attitude or not. that man is thee most dominant 185 the MMA world will know.

• cocoonofhorror says:

rehab following an arthroscopic procedure to remove bone spurs from an elbow is about two weeks.

• Makington says:

Just two weeks cocoon? I thought it was like 4 weeks for it to heal entirely, and the two weeks were for the physical therapy to get it back in shape. I don’t know this for sure since I’ve never looked it up or anything but that’s what I always thought.

At the same time, I wouldn’t want to fight Vitor if I was anything less than 100%, but I thought it took longer altogether to heal properly.

• bigbadjohn says:

I would love to see Anderson get his clock cleaned, I don’t know why but I really would. He ain’t ducking Vitor though, don’t buy it. In my perfect world, Shogun would win his rematch with Lyoto and then Anderson enthused with the idea of avenging Machida and attaining a 2nd belt would also suffer his first UFC loss to Shogun in TKO fashion.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Since Anderson Silva has been in the UFC he has faced these MWs.
    Leben
    Franklin
    Lutter
    Marquadt
    Henderson
    Cote
    Leites
    Take away guys that arn’t top 10s and you have Franklin, Marquadt and Henderson. For a guy that is considered to be the M. Jordan of MMA he has faced very little top competition to earn that title. Don’t get me wrong I think he is a top MW but an amazingly dominant 1?. Cote hurt himself and was never in trouble, Lutter had him mounted and was looking good before he gassed, Henderson won the first rd easily before he got caught in the 2nd, Leites lay on the ground and Silva refused to engage (can he not grapple? I mean Fedor dominated Nog on the ground just like GSP did with top WW grapplers and Penn has done with top LW grapplers), and Leben is not exactly that hard for a classy striker to pick off. I have always said that Silva is overrated in the sense that he is not superman. I hope we see him against top level MW talent soon (and I don’t mean Maia) so I too can jump on the Silva train. If there is any room left.

• moosebaby02 says:

Joe Silva puts guys in front of him and he fights them………how is that ducking anyone.
    Cote and Leites did not deserve title shots and neither does Vitor who hasnt fought at MW for the UFC. Where all the hendo lovers out there screaming at the top of their lungs about how this isnt fare??? once you hear from them then you people will see why vitor hasent or deserves shot. The same reason why BJ didnt deserve a shot at GSP’s title.

JabCrossHook
    ok but when has he done anything at MW to EARN A SHOT??????

This is all about money and like how i started
    Joe Silva puts guys in front of him and he fights them nuff said

• Angry Mike says:

What was the injury, and how did it happen?

• edub says:

Ok i understand certain people like to hate on fighters and just bhasically like to talk smack. I also understand that people will look for a way to argue against Zuffa any chance they get. WHat boggles my mind is anyone ever arguing against the greatness of anderson silva. The guy is a freak of nature that destroys everyone put in front of him. Just look at Leites after the five rounds were over. He was a batterd and bruised fighter that couldnt even walk. Look at Cote. You guys say he was never in trouble. So what!!! He was never winning!! That fight goes another round and were prolly taliking about a tko stoppage for silva, or were praising the beating Pat took because he was able to last the entire five rounds getting hit repeatedly.
    Now onto rankings. Chris Leben was coming off 4 wins in the UFC when he got destroyed by the spider. While he may not have been top ten at the time he was definately close. Patrick Cote was at #10 on most sites at the time and just came off wins against Almeida, Grove, and Mcfedries. Thales Leites was around 5 or 6 on most sites. Rich Franklin was #1 and #3 in the world at mw when they fought. Nate Marquardt was #3 or #4. Dan Henderson was favored in their fight and was ranked in the top 5 at 205. Forrest Griffin was a formeer UFC LHW champ and was in the top 3 in the weight division. Who else should he have faced?

MMA-LOGIC: For a guy that is considered to be the M. Jordan of MMA he has faced very little top competition to earn that title.

This could be the stupidest quote I have ever read on this site.

• moosebaby02 says:

edub for post of the day
    you got my vote