Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos: ‘I imagine myself’ in the UFC

cristiane-cyborgWhile common sense told Cristiane “Cybrg” Santos to finish up her studies in Brazil to pursue a career in physical education, her famed trainer, Rafael Cordeiro of the Chute Boxe Academy, told her otherwise. Why bother wasting your time on all of that college stuff, when you should be busting heads for a living? That was Cordeiro’s take on things, and Santos is thanking him for the advice in the present day as the feared knockout specialist currently sits on the top of the female mixed martial arts mountain as the reigning Strikeforce women’s 145 pound champion.

“I was in college, Physics Education, and I trained, but Master Rafael (Cordeiro) said that he thought it was better if I stopped the fight because the top training of Chute Boxe was in the morning and I could only train in the afternoon or in the night,” explained Cyborg in a conversation with Tatame.com. “He said, “I think it’s better if you stop this college… If you graduate you’ll teach, but on Muay Thai you can teach too and you’ll dedicate more“. I stopped the college, my mom wanted to kill me, but I followed a dream and thank God I was happy.”

Having spent the majority of her years in her native country of Brazil, Cristiane has recently relocated to sunny California, U.S.A., and currently trains with her husband, Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, alongside a certain former UFC champion known as “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy”.

“For now we’re here in Big Bear, training with Tito Ortiz, who’s preparing to fight with Forrest Griffin,” said Santos. “We’re supporting, with training of Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, and they’re supporting us too.”

Along with Cristiane’s recent trip stateside has come the language barrier that has troubled so many fighters from foreign soil in their pursuit to find mainstream success in the United States; However, according to Cyborg, it’s a challenge she’s looks forward to overcoming.

“I can handle [talking] with the guys up here, I talk with everyone,” explained Santos. “I understand a little, but I’m learning more. On the next fight I’ll risk more, the American audience likes that.

“Here is the place to stay, easier to find sponsorship… I miss my family, but I like to live here.”

When asked if she had aspirations to fight in the UFC at some point in her career, Cyborg was quite forthcoming, stating, “I imagine myself there… I’m happy on Strikeforce, but would be one more open door. Who knows in the future…”

Cristiane is currently expected to face off with Marloes Coenen as her next opponent, alongside her husband Evangelista, who is also expected to appear on the same card. Rumors place the two competing at “Strikeforce: Evolution”, expected for January 30 in Miami, Florida.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think the fight with Coenen might be a tough one as Marloes is much more well rounded that Gina, but Chris has shown that she should not be doubted. On a side note I hope training with Tito helps her husband out in the cardio dept, as he asle is a very exciting fighter to watch.

• windstorm says:

pains me to say it but that chick could kick my ass

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 5

• edub says:

Im not trying to say this is a bad or a good thing I just think it is very interesting.

• Rich S. says:

Go ahead and let her in as a Lightweight..
    She could definitely take out most of the lower competition.. :)

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 8

• Vogairian says:

edub: Wow shes top of the heap in the biggest womens promotion in the world(most lucrative), and she still talks about fighting in the UFC.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 4

• edub says:

Agreed.

• BennyProfane says:

Cory… was it Physical education like you state – or Physics like Cyborg did? Obvious answer would be physical education, but it would be pretty dope if Cyborg worked on quantum theory.

Does it also strike anyone else as pretty balsy that an employee with Strikeforce is stating in the media that she wishes to fight in the UFC, even when Dana says women isn’t in his business plan?

Strikeforce should crack the whip on that type of shit.

• 3OAM says:

Coenen looked really good against Modafferi at Fedor v. Rogers, but I think Gina could have easily taken Coenen. I suspect Cyborg will blow right through her as well.

• David Andrest says:

The funny thing about this is the reporter(s) . I wouldn’t read too much into it. People oftten ignore the question and focus on the answers.

she was asked if she had aspirations of fighting for the UFC. ( a company with no womens division, and currently the largest promotion in the world)

Of course you say yes, or sure, or we’ll see. You never know if the UFC will finally have a womens division, no need to burn a bridge.

This stuff comes up all the time, because the press askes it. because we know readers eat it up and talk about it. It’s a money question for any writer at this point.

• cocoonofhorror says:

why isnt that dude in the UFC already?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 17

• nate says:

guyborg needs to fight urijah faber in an exhibition match battle for the rights to rock the cornrow do for fights.

• paddiosf says:

Its to bad she doesnt have any other women who can challange her..

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Vogairian: It’s not too suprising to me. In the end the UFC is still the biggest show on the block. I’d figure that quite a few fighters fighting for Strikeforce would jump ship given the opportunity”

Like Hendo or Fedor or Mousasi or Sylvia or Arlovski or Diaz or Werdum, Overrem? I beleive they all desperately want in the UFC.
    Oh that’s right they turned down UFC contracts and some have …um jumped ship. But Randy is UFC through and thro…oh thats right he wanted to leave too but they FORCED him to stay through legal action. At least the UFC will always have Rampage.LOL. Come on guys. How many Strikeforce fighters have the UFC gained recently and how many have gone the other way?. Fighters are jumping ship alright it is just a matter of why they are jumping. Is their a hole in the bottom of a particular ship? I think there is and it needs patching and quick. Maybe they could stop it from sinking by losing the extra weight. I wonder if a certain “promoter” has overstayed his welcome. Walk the plank Uncle Fester and you may save the rest of the cargo.

• danw84 says:

MMA-LOGIC: .P.S.Who tattoos their own name on their arm like that? If I did it I wouldn’t be showing it off like that. I would be kinda embarrassed.

uhh… if you got it tattooed on you, I doubt you’d be embarrassed about it, and would likely show it off. Worry about your own body, not someone else’s.

And to comment on the rest of your post, well basically it’s laughable. Where are Sylvia and Arlovksi right now? Who has Henderson signed with? How did Diaz’ title fight go? When has Overeem fought for ANYONE in the USA? Randy got forced to change his final fight on his contract into six?

If you want to imply things, do a better job of it.

• Connor Cobain says:

Take that Strikeforce! thats funny as shit though.

• Vogairian says:

The problem in the argument of “How many fighters have jumped ship from the UFC to Strikeforce?” and Vice Versa is two fold. 1. The UFC has more talent it can let walk and obviously some of them are going to float to Strikeforce. 2. In most cases if Strikeforce is letting them walk, they aren’t fit to be in the UFC… so obviously there won’t be many that go that way.
    It’s cool to be a UFC hater that’s a choice, but just saying things to say them makes you look bad.

Fedor – He was in serious negotiations with the UFC and again they wouldn’t cave to his demands.
    Mousasi – He’s talked about fighting in the UFC and if not for his piss poor management he’d be there.
    Werdum – Released by the UFC
    Sylvia, Arlovski, and Diaz – These guys are the exception and it’s not like they’ve been setting the world on fire since they left.
    Overeem – This dude doesn’t want to fight anywhere in the US and I think most people have a good idea why.
    Randy – Just signed a new contract to be with the.. UFC.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ha ha ha ha ha .

“Hendo – His first choice was clearly the UFC. They just refused to pay his ridiculous price tag and he isn’t in Strikeforce yet to my knowledge.
    Werdum – Released by the UFC
    Randy – Just signed a new contract to be with the.. UFC.
    Rampage – Ole boy is nuttier than a snickers, but when he’s ready to fight again it’ll be for the UFC.”

So you can’t think of any SF dudes coming to the UFC ha. But there is a hell of a lot going the other way isn’t there. So your comment was based on NOTHING!!! Ha ha ha ha.

Hendo no. 2 MW, Werdum top 10, Sylvia top 5 when he left, Arlovski top 5 when he left, Fedor no.1 HW, Overeem top 10 HW, Diaz top 10 material for sure, Rampage top 5, Mousasi top 10 possibly and Randy did want to leave and was forced through legal action to stay. Go on tick the bad comment icon. It still doesn’t change the FACTS you silly fool and thats what all of what I just said is FACTS. Ha ha ha ha . Heres some more F. Shamrock, Sheilds, Lawler, Lindland etc oh and don’t forget that the no.2 LW on many lists Aoki, has just signed with SF. But they all want to be in the UFC don’t they. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they don’t!!!!! now pull your head out of your ass and realize you are wrong. Stirkeforce is on a buying frenzy and guys are CHOOSING to go there, not being forced like Couture was to stay in the UFC. So stupid that you guys say it is just an argument…IT’S FACT YOU BLIND HOPELESS FOOLS.

Tick away fools it might change the facts.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

But top 10 fighters are not fit to be in the UFC are they? Kimbo, Baroni, Junnie, Housten and Al Turk are or were. You make me laugh you guys do, cuz if I didn’t laugh I would cry for the weak minded and easily fooled. That is what you are you know. Take a look around and you might realize…uh no you wont, sorry just forget it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry about getting insulting. Just frustrated thats all. Saying that SF fighters would leave given the chance when it so clearly is happening the other way annoys me.
    Again I apologize.

• Vogairian says:

Wow…nothing like a good nonsensical rant. Every open forum will have a troll I guess.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

PLEASE POINT OUT THE FACTS I GOT WRONG PLEASE. Instead of saying “oh yeah they all left the UFC but they had reasons”. Really did they have reasons? So you are in fact saying that the are choosing to go to SF!!!! I mean really what is wrong with you?. Buentello went to the UFC. But I’ll use your logic. SF cut him. SO DUMB!!!. “Fedor hasn’t fought anyone good recently” . No No. 2 and No. 5 in the world and then another top 10 are just not good enough are they. He should fight Carwin or Valasquez. WHO HAVE NEVER FACED A TOP 10 guy between them. Oh but they are in the the UFC so they are just super duper. Why does Arlovski’s victory (destruction of) Rothwell mean nothing but Valasquez’s early stoppage over him mean something to guys like you????. THINK ABOUT IT.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

But I’m sure you are right and they want to be in the UFC. The thing that bothers me about that is. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF THAT WHAT SO F#CKING EVER is there. In fact the Biggest signings recently of top fighters was with SF. True or not?. Hey just give another excuse dude you are good at that.

• Vogairian says:

Your facts simply can’t be proven wrong because you aren’t using any. Your long list of fighters who don’t want to fight in the UFC, half of them were UFC rejects or are still in the UFC and the guys who did leave didn’t leave to fight for Strikeforce.
    Arlovski and Sylvia left to fight for Affliction after being offered insane amounts of money.
    Hendo hasn’t signed anywhere and he obviously wanted to stay with the UFC.
    Rampage left to make movies, not to jump ship to Strikeforce.
    Werdum was CUT by the UFC.
    Randy just signed a six fight deal with the UFC.
    Frank Shamrock? Seriously? Dude’s last fight in the UFC was 10 years ago.
    Matt Lindland hasn’t fought there for four years and he was dropped because of breaking a sponsorship agreement.
    Jake Shields has said he wanted to fight in the UFC and the only reason he isn’t right now is because he couldn’t get out of his EliteXC contract.
    Robbie Lawler, again you’re bringing up some old names dude. He hasn’t fought there for 5 years and when he left it wasn’t to fight for Strikeforce.
    In fact the only huge signings they have made were Fedor and Mousasi and Mousasi was tricked by his management into signing with them.

From HW to LW Strikeforce has 7 fighters in all of the top 10’s combined. So no, they don’t have a lot of talent that the UFC wants. That logic isn’t hard to understand. The UFC has the majority of the top 10 fighters in every weight class that they use, so obviously there’s more talent for them to cut and let go to other orgs, while Strikeforce is very thin talent wise and when they let a fighter go more often than not he’s not good enough to be in the UFC. Also Do you honestly think that Fedor would be in Strikeforce if the UFC was willing to co-promote?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Aoki, Mousasi, Fedor, Werdum, Arlovski, Thomson, Misaki, Diaz, Sheilds, Lawler, Overeem, Lindland, Rogers, Babalu, Jacare, Hendo(?), Filho(?), Sylvia(?) etc are all worthy of top 10 if guys that have never faced top 10’s like Carwin and Valasquez are. There is also guys like Rua, Villasenor, Smith, Le etc who are top talents.
    They have just signed Mighty Mo, Aoki, Fedor and M1 which would include Aleks and the rest of those dudes. They are in partnership with Dream, so they may be able to fight there aswell. Big Foot is Sengoku so perhaps they are willing to do buisiness too with the likes of Barnett etc.
    Dude you are kidding yourself if you think that all these guys want to go to the UFC. It is a fact that some may end up there but I think now SF has become a contender it will grow and grow. They have a big network deal and are now LOADED. Look at the guys the UFC cuts…Werdum, Monson, Buetello, Lutter, Leites, Babalu all have been or are top 10 and some have had UFC title shots. Now look at the fighters they collect Al Turk, Kimbo, Junnie, Leben, Alexander. So you can say that werdum and co are “rejects” if you want but they are not, but the UFC would like you to think so.

I never said that SF was better just that it is growing and has a lot of talent even though the top 10’s may not show it. Fighters are choosing SF now full stop. Not all but a lot. Arlovski and Sylvia chose to leave and Randy was taken to court because he wanted to. I mean you say they are not facts but they are. You have also said things like Arlovski and Sylvia are not any good any more, now would you say that about every UFC fighter that leaves and Fedor beats? consider the fact possibility that they left and just got beaten by better or good fighters. I mean f#ck. It is so anoying.

I just get so pissed with dudes that say stuff like Fedor hasn’t this and UFC fighters are so much better that. None of us know because the UFC stops us from seeing these fights, sometimes, like in Randy vs Fedor, by legal action.
    ” Also Do you honestly think that Fedor would be in Strikeforce if the UFC was willing to co-promote?”
    Exactly they don’ t and this is my biggest problem with the UFC. I mean I could saI by the same logic do you think that A. Silva would be in the UFC if SF was the biggest?.We should all be screaming at the UFC to allow there fighters to fight outside of the UFC or allow fighters of the calibur of Fedor to fight in the octagon without signing their freedom away. Why aren’t we?. Think of these fights that the UFC is out and out stopping. Fedor V Lesnar, Mousasi V Shogun, Aoki V BJ, GSP V Diaz, Overeem V Mir and so on. BJ had to leave to fight Gomi, Randy tried to leave to fight Fedor. So this is why I say F#ck the UFC. Whats more the only reason they are doing it is $$$$$$$$. So you will forgive me if I want an org with the ability to co-promote to do well and for people to stop mindlessly support the company that is ROYALY F#CKING the fans up the @ss.
    Anyway, peace and I am sorry about any offense I have caused.

• edub says:

MMA-LOGIC: Think of these fights that the UFC is out and out stopping. Fedor V Lesnar, Mousasi V Shogun, Aoki V BJ, GSP V Diaz, Overeem V Mir and so on

All these would be great fights except for Diaz vs. GSP. Diaz would have a better shot against Anderson as far as their styles matchup IMO.

MMA-LOGIC: I mean you say they are not facts but they are. You have also said things like Arlovski and Sylvia are not any good any more, now would you say that about every UFC fighter that leaves and Fedor beats? consider the fact possibility that they left and just got beaten by better or good fighters. I mean f#ck. It is so anoying.

Its not really the fact that most people think these guys suck now because fedor stomped them. With Arlovski its because he got kod in seconds by RELATIVE noob Brett Rogers. And as for Sylvia he got KOd by a fifty year old.

MMA-LOGIC: Aoki, Mousasi, Fedor, Werdum, Arlovski, Thomson, Misaki, Diaz, Sheilds, Lawler, Overeem, Lindland, Rogers, Babalu, Jacare, Hendo(?), Filho(?), Sylvia(?)

Werdum-cut; Arlovski- let go; Lawler- beat twice in a row then left; Diaz- cut; Lindlan- cut; Babalu- cut; Filho- talks to people in cage that arent there…then cut;

• edub says:

On a side not why do u hate on Leben then talk up Ninja Rua. Im a fan of both but if were talking exciting and always trying to finish a fight then Leben fits that bill. And he would also probably knock ninja into next year if they fought.