Shane Carwin in talks to Fight Cain Velasquez for Interim Title

BrockWith the troubling news recently breaking in regards to UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar’s health, speculation from fans and media quickly turned to the possibility of a fight between Lesnar’s previously scheduled opponent for UFC 108, Shane Carwin, and rising superstar Cain Velasquez. However, the notion seemed to be shot down at the UFC 104 post-event press conference when President Dana White stated Carwin had recently undergone knee surgery and was no longer an option for the event – a matter the top contender quickly clarified on Twitter, saying he had a “Grade 2 MCL Strain” he was currently rehabbing that had not actually required any sort of medical procedure to fix.

Carwin further elaborated on the situation Tuesday in a series of posts on The Underground. When asked if he had heard from the UFC in regards to creating an interim heavyweight title and competing against Velasquez for it, Carwin responded, “We are in talks.”

He continued, “I have a knee I am rehabbing and a baby due on the eleventh of February. I am down to do whatever is best for the division. Not sure how important the belt is in that scenario. (There are) lots of great fighters at the top and lots of talented young guns on the way up right now.”

The undefeated knockout specialist hailing from Colorado also addressed his feelings on Lesnar’s health issues in great detail, expressing genuine concern for the champ’s well-being and wishing him a speedy recovery.

“I am sure most of you know I am not the leader of the Lesnar Fan Club. That being said, antics or not, he is OUR UFC HWT Champion. He beat a future Hall of Famer to keep that belt and he NEEDS our prayers and good thoughts right now.

At the end of the day I can take off my UFC shirt and say here is a man, a Champion that has been brought down by an illness not another man. It is very humbling if you think about it.

Brock has a wife, kid, and friends that depend on him to make their lives better. You do not have to support Brock and his antics but you should have respect for the human side of what is happening here.

This is not a ploy to sell more tickets. He is the biggest draw this sport has ever had. This is not him ducking me or any other fighter. This is about a man who is fighting an illness for his career, family and friends.

Talk of stripping a man of his title due to illness will set this sport back farther then anything Brock has ever said. We need our Champions healthy and defending. I know the show will go on but to be a Champion you must beat a Champion.

My family and I send our thoughts and well wishes to Brock’s family, friends and training partners. We are indeed keeping you in our thoughts.

If you sit around bashing Brock or making fun of this because of his antics you might be the very same thing you despise. As an MMA fan, as a human be concerned that one of OUR OWN has fallen and needs our support.

Get well soon UFC Heavyweight Champ Brock Lesnar.”

• qat says:

very well said, kudos to shane for that.

if brocks future mma career is still unsure in 3-4 months, lets make an interim belt.

Well-Done. Thumb up 38 Thumb down 2

• JabCrossHook says:

I’m with you Shane, I hope Brock gets better so you could knock him out. I really dislike his antics and attitude but this is beyond that, this is a serious illness.

Well-Done. Thumb up 31 Thumb down 6

• Jak says:

I still think they should have Nog vs. Velasquez(when Nog’s healthy again) and dos Santos vs. Carwin.
    Then the winners can face off.

dos Santos has beat Werdum, Cro Cop and Struve, which seems just as worthy as Kongo and Rothwell.

Well-Done. Thumb up 21 Thumb down 5

• edub says:

What a great down to earth dude. If i prayed id be asking for a speedy recovery by both men.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 5

• manny says:

Cain vs Carwin is the perfect match up for the interm belt. Dos antos needs another victory and so does Nog. Carwin has the KO power to take out Cain but Cain can out wrestle carwin and G n P..
    Can’t wait for this one.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 15

• ByronGiant says:

Shane Carwin is the man. Well spoken, thoughtful, and will stave in your cranium with two fingers. Teach this man the kimura!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 8

• BigDave says:

This is the fight that should have happened in the first place and I’m hoping it gets done but not for an interm belt because that means nothing but a TRUE #1 contender.

Carwin is a good guy and good fighter, that being said I’m a Cain backer all the way and hope he smashes Carwin so that when Brock is back to full health and ready to fight again he will actually have a challenging fight ahead of him which I’m just not convinced Carwin can bring to the table.

But I could be proven wrong, we shall all just have to wait and see.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 10

• RoadsideGraphix says:

I like Carwin more and more every time I read about him.
    The fact that he can see the human side of the sport and holds Lesnar in high regard for being the champ is just all very positive.

Carwin is a good dude in my book and I hope he has a long career with the UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

booooo to BigDave and his cain nut hugging lol. Cawin all the way
    but seriously Carwin and Cain will be a great match but like you said Dave it should not be for the belt. #1 spot for sure.
    I say wait a bit and lets see how long Brock will be out first. Any longer than 7 months and training then put an interm belt out there. I think it will happen anyways cause im hearing nothing but bad news when it comes to Brock. As much as I dont like him he is a human and everyone makes mistakes. get better man seriously.
    either way i want to see the Carwin vs Cain so i can make fun of Dave for the whole year hahahaha
    oh ya im a Carwin nut hugger

• MMA-LOGIC says:

So they are fighting for the “I can’t believe it’s not a title” title. You know what bugs me the most? no matter who wins the interim (title that never was) championship they still won’t of faced a top 10 fighter ever in their lives. So the UFC Interim Champion is without 1 oz of a doubt a paper champion. I mean not 1 top f10 fighter on either record! talk about a meaningless title.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“I mean not 1 top 10 fighter on either record!”
    Accept for each other that is. Still can they be considered a champion?. If so does that mean that to be a champion you DON’T have to beat the champ (or anyone who is an established top 10er). I don’t think so. It has certanly never worked that way in any other sport that I know of. To be a champ you need to prove you are deseving of that title. Not only are they not fighting for a REAL title but they are fighting another guy that has not proven himself worthy of the term champion. Surely to be crowned a champion you need to fight a champion or a couple of the top 10 at least otherwise the title becomes a meaningless trophy.

Negative tick away.

• BigDave says:

Carwin beat gonzaga who is in the top 10 in the ufc last I saw. Cain has beat rothwell and kongo who again are in the top 10 of the ufc all be it 9-10. Carwin and Cain are both deserving of a number 1 contender spot and I dont for a second think either of them care about an interm title. Thats just to sell ppv buys.

• bigbadjohn says:

Exactly BigDAve, who even wants an interim belt? The fans? I think most fans understand Interim Title Holder is just a fancy term for #1 Contender. Carwin has been named the #1 contender but you can’t have your #1,2 and 3 rated heavyweight fighters sitting on the shelf for this great period of time especially when Carwin (2) and Cain (3) still have relatively unknown names. So, unfortunately for Carwin, illness happens and plans change. Now Carwin must beat Cain to remain sole keeper of the #1 contender spot. And If Cain were to win, I’m sure one more convincing victory by Carwin would be enough to set him up for a title shot vs. whoever won in a Lesnar vs Velasquez title fight.
    Ya’ll dig that?

• Connor Cobain says:

Why did all these people think that Cain could beat Carwin? I’m sorry but this is getting ridiculous let me break it down, Shane has 1 shot knock out power and a really good stand up game. Cain on the other hand does not have 1 shot knock out power and is a DEVELOPING striker. Now what really gets me is the talk that Cain has a better ground game, why? Who has he fought that had a ground game anywhere near Carwin’s? Congo and Rothwell? Ya right. Let us not forget Carwin was an All American and half his wins did come by submission. Also Carwin out weighs Cain by 30 pounds and unlike Rothwell this is muscle not fat. Carwin will eventually fight Cain don’t worry but people this won’t turn out good for Cain, I guaranty it.

• bigbadjohn says:

I completely agree. I hope you didn’t take my comment to be insinuating that Cain would necessarily win. Carwin definitely is a legitimate threat to Cain and I believe there obviously is an argument to be made. But don’t ask me who I’d take because I’m on the fence right now