Roger Huerta Is A Free Agent; Interested in bouts with Thomson, Melendez & Aoki

roger huertaRoger Huerta is officially in a position where he can entertain offers from promotions outside of the UFC following the completion of his contract with the promotion.

According to a recent report from Loretta Hunt over at Sherdog.com, Huerta is now free to speak with other organizations, although the UFC is in a position where they have a right to match any deal offered to Roger through a rival promotion.

“We’re free to negotiate with other organizations now, but the UFC has the right to match (any offer),” said Jeff Clark, Huerta’s manager over at NCFC Management.

When asked if he has been approached by any promotion’s outside of the UFC, Clark stated, “We’ve had a lot of interest from different parties.”

In regards to Strikeforce, Huerta seemed optimistic about the prospect of fighting for the promotion if a deal is offered that makes sense.

“It would be up to them,” said Huerta, “but I’d definitely like to fight a top-caliber fighter like (Shinya) Aoki, (interim champion Gilbert) Melendez, or (champion Josh) Thomson. Obviously, I’d have to earn my stripes in that organization, if I went there, but any of those fights would be amazing.”

• Vogairian says:

I like watching Huerta fight he always brings it, but it kind of looks like he may want a way out of the shark tank that is the UFC LW division. Fighting twice in two years and losing both of those may have him hoping to go somewhere else. That said, if I’m the UFC I probably match whatever SF offers unless it’s an absurd amount.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 10

• Brendhan Conlan says:

C’mon Bellator! Alvarez vs. Huerta, anyone?

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 7

• hindsightufuk says:

i love watching Roger fight too, fights agains Gil, Alvarez, Kawajiri, Josh T, Gomi, would be awesome

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 3

• nate says:

I’ll watch huerta where ever he goes. exciting fighter. would love to see huerta vs – thomson, gil, aoki, and definitely would love Roger vs Eddie Alvarez.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 3

• nope says:

Personally…I think Huerta could run through that whole 155 devision over at Stikeforce w/ relative Ease. I’d like to see him fight Alvarez.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 4

• jj says:

Theres alot of hype around Huerta, but I haven’t seen anything impressive from him for some time.

I lost interest in watching him fight when he started trying to be a model or actor or whatever the hell he’s been doing the last 2 years.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 15

• Makington says:

Vogairian: I like watching Huerta fight he always brings it, but it kind of looks like he may want a way out of the shark tank that is the UFC LW division.Fighting twice in two years and losing both of those may have him hoping to go somewhere else.That said, if I’m the UFC I probably match whatever SF offers unless it’s an absurd amount.

It’s all about the money. The UFC started their little hype train behind him. They were talking about how he will be the future of the LW division and what not, but they kept him one of the lower paid fighters. He hasn’t been happy about what he’s getting for a long time and this has everything to do with that. Regardless of whether I think he will ever be a champ in the UFC, or even within the top 5 rankings, he still brings a good, exciting fight, and I’d like to see the UFC pay him more so he can stay.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• xtreme_machine says:

why did’nt the UFC do

Huerta vs Diego Sanchez

that would have been a money fight

• FightFan313 says:

Sanchez vs Penn already? Anyone else think Sanchez has more to prove. I really think this is going to be another easy fight for Penn.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

WHATS WRONG WITH THE UFC?-HUERTA VS DIEGO IN MEXICO CITY BACKED BY CAIN VS LESNAR-THROW IN A LITTLE FORREST VS LIL NOG AND YOU HAVE A MAJOR CARD-HOLLA

• PLANETSTOMP says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 14

• FightFan313 says:

PLANETSTOMP: ALSO-DIEGO CRUSHED CLAY-MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT-WATCH THE FIGHT-DIEGO IS VERY DESERVING OF THE TITLE SHOT-HE HAS NEVER BEEN FINISHED

Why did clay make to end if he got crushed. He got over whelmed at best. I declare Planetstomp to be a tool. Sanchez barley beat Stevenson. Sanchez is not next in line. Sanchez needs to face Franky Edgar first and if Sanchez beats Franky then he still doesn’t deserve a title shot. Next would be Kenny… that fight has to happen first. Well in this case ..after he gets beat up by Penn.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

• PLANETSTOMP says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 13

• PLANETSTOMP says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 16

• FightFan313 says:

PLANETSTOMP: SANCHEZ WOULD BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF FRANKIE-QUIT RIDING HIS DICK NERD

Dick Nerd is falling down and off of your chin. Sanchez has beat average fighters. Sanchez had a hard time with Stevenson. Kenny dominated Joe, Penn Dominated Joe and Penn Dominated Kenny. Sanchez is a good fighter but not next in line.

• GassedOut says:

Planetstomp: You’ve got as much right to your opinion as anyone else here. But could you turn of the damn CAPS-LOCK key? It’s considered shouting, and it’s just plain hard to read.

• Makington says:

I agree with FightFan, I think the 2 most deserving guys are Frankie Edgar, and Gray Maynard, although you didn’t mention him. In all 3 instances I see BJ getting the win, but I’m on the same boat. That being said, I can obviously see the reasons why Diego is getting the shot. Diego has been the main event on cards a couple times now (Fight Night or free UFC’s), so he is no stranger to the spotlight, as well as people knowing his face. He was on, and won the first season of TUF, which imo gives him the most recognition. He is coming off a pretty good tear at WW, with losses only to the best fighters. People know his face and they like to see him fight, more so than people know Gray’s or Frankie’s face. Diego is twice as cocky as Gray and Frankie put together, and although that just bugs me, it puts people in seats. And lastly, but not leastly, Diego is still an exciting fighter I think. He is by no means a finisher (same with Gray of Frankie) but I’ve never seen him in a boring fight. And he’s been in some of my favourite fights, even though I think he’s a cocky, partyly psychotic douche. His fights with Nick Diaz, Clay Guida, and Karo Parisyan are some of the most frenetic fights I’ve ever seen.

So all in all, I agree with Diego not deserving the shot, when other fighters have done more at LW. But he is their biggest draw for the shot, and it’s not as bad as when they gave Thales Leites a shot at Silva. I hold on to the fact that after Gray beats Nate Diaz, the UFC won’t be able to say no to him anymore.

• Makington says:

• GassedOut says:

Makington: And how the hell does GassedOut have 3 thumbs down?! I get PlanetStomp would be one of them, but other people think that the never ending capital-fest is awesome? Or his complete lack of english coherency? This is my favourite site because people are so competent, but that doesn’t make sense.

I appreciate the support, Makington. I suspect that there are some folks out there that see my nickname and just automatically put thumbs down. To be honest, I don’t particularly care…trolls are trolls no matter where you go. At least this isn’t as bad as the Sherdog forums. People here actually think about what they write for the most part, and are fairly social, even if I don’t agree with their opinions. I just love how a guy can hide behind anonymity and express dislike for the world, don’t you? {/sarcasm} I’m not afraid of people actually knowing who I am or what I think. That’s my real picture on my ID. Back when I was doing all this stuff as a teenager, I had a record of 21-7-1, all amatuer, all in the mid-1980s. Some of that was Judo, some was what we used to call street fighting or NHB (no holds barred). We cross trained in Judo, Jiu-jitsu, Kung Fu, and what is now known as Sambo (just a lot of basics there). I’m actually proud to say that I haven’t been in a fight since 1986 outside of a Dojo or tournament. I’m now just a big fan of fighting regardless of promotion, and I have a huge man-crush on Fedor Emelianenko, the baddest man on the planet. I’m now truly…well, gassed out. Hence the nick. Thanks again for your support. I do appreciate it.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

ANYWAYS-I STILL SAY DIEGO WILL WEAR OUT BJ-STOP TRIPPIN OFF OF THE CAPS

• PLANETSTOMP says:

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE CAPS

• CheekyMunky says:

Huerta may not be winning every fight, but I really dont think Ive ever said to myself “oh great..roger is fighting…SNOOZE FEST!!!” Ive always liked him due to the fact that he puts his heart in all his fights and pushes to the max, even if he knows he wont win. Take his last fight for instance, alot of ppl wouldve tapped after that Kimura , he didnt, he pushed thru and thats what makes me wanna keep watching him. Exciting fights.

• nope says:

PLANETSTOMP=TROLL

• nope says:

LAY OFF THE CAPS TROLL

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Fighting twice in two years and losing both of those may have him hoping to go somewhere else”
    Ha ha ha Another one may leave, oh but thats because of bla bla bla. LOL.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Face up to it Vog. Some fighters may possibly be unhappy with the UFC and want to fight elsewhere, it doesn’t have to be because the fighter is looking for a way out, he sux, he is “cut” or whatever reason you would like to think. It could be because they want better conditions, aren’t happy with negotiations, want better pay and freedom etc. Stop instantly assuming that it the fighters fault for not wanting to be in the UFC and you may be half way there.

Anyway he could fight JZ, Melendez, Aoki, Thomson, Sakurai, Kiwiljari, Hansen and Alverez etc out of the UFC, so there is no huge loss in match up potential.