Fedor’s knockout victory over Brett Rogers viewed by over 25 million homes

fedor-vs-rogersAMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (November 24, 2009) - M-1 Global and Strikeforce announced today that the international audience reports from broadcasters all over the world revealed an unprecedented number of viewers for the November 7th “Fedor vs. Rogers” MMA event from Chicago, Illinois.

“We are extremely happy with the preliminary broadcast reports,” said M-1 Global CEO Joost Raimond. “The demographics of these numbers were very promising as our network broadcasting partners in the U.S., Russia, and Korea reach an enormous audience alone. Coupled with a dozen other countries and our successful internet stream in Japan and other territories, all early accounts and indications tell us that “Fedor vs. Rogers” delivered worldwide more than any other MMA show in the history of the sport,” concluded Raimond.

Scott Coker, founder and owner of Strikeforce and experienced MMA promoter responded “We are thrilled with the tremendous viewership figures that the Fedor vs Rogers event generated overseas. The results clearly demonstrate the appreciation that fans worldwide have for a number of M-1 Global and Strikeforce mixed martial arts superstars including the number one fighter on the planet – Fedor Emelianenko – and his opponent Brett Rogers.”

In total, over 25 million MMA fans all around the world were treated to a vintage performance from the world’s greatest MMA fighter, Fedor Emelianenko. The main event of Fedor vs Rogers reached an impressive 5.46 million viewers in the United States on the CBS Network. The fight was also broadcast in Fedor’s native Russia by “Channel 1,” Russia’s largest television network, and reached 16 million viewers in Fedor’s home country. In addition, “Fedor vs. Rogers” was broadcast to millions of viewers in Korea on SBS, one of the 3 major national South Korean networks, as well as television networks in China, Latin America, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ukraine, Finland, Africa, Turkey, Israel, Indonesia, Bulgaria, Romania, and Malta. Live internet streams of the “Fedor vs. Rogers” bout generated ground-breaking viewer numbers in Japan and all over the world and these numbers continue to grow through Video on Demand.

‘”CBS was proud to be the U.S. broadcaster in a fight seen by millions domestically and by millions more around the world,” commented CBS Senior Executive Vice President Kelly Kahl. “Strikeforce and M-1 Global put together a great card, showcasing some of the best fighters in the world. Our ad sales for the fight were strong, especially for advertisers that target young men — a group with a growing appetite for MMA.”

• Dufresne says:

For a first major showing, Strikeforce did a tremendous job and hopefully this success will encourage them to improve on the flaws that were shown.

Well-Done. Thumb up 25 Thumb down 4

• Beau Fury says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 28

• Dufresne says:

I think the US numbers sound about spot on, and Fedor is a demigod over in Russia, so the numbers could very well be accurate.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 3

• baldguy80 says:

Beau Fury: I’m sorry but I just can’t believe a word anyone at M-1 Global says… I mean maybe Scott Coker but he did team up with them so I don’t know about him anymore. I think the numbers might be inflated a lot. What does everyone else think?

I heartily agree with Beau’s assessment, some independent verification might tell a different story. (“Might”, I said, ’cause Dufresne makes a good point..) Even if the numbers are bang on, does this translate into the financial salvation that Strikeforce requires to compete against the UFC on an ongoing basis? Or are the M-1 execs just gettin’ fatter? Seems to me that whatever M-1 touches turns to stone…

• Jak says:

I think a lot of people are simply jumping at an article that leaves a lot of info out.

If 21 of 25 million viewers came from Russia/CBS, doesn’t leave a lot for the rest of the worlds markets, especially asia where Fedor is huge.

It doesn’t say whether the Russia airing was live or tape delayed. Do i think 16 million of a 140 million person population were watching live in the wee hours? not likely.

I’m saying the #’s aren’t really really good, i’m just saying that people jump at vague articles that purposefully leave a lot of info out. ;)

• Jak says:

Jak: I’m saying the #’s aren’t really really good

That was supposed to say “i’m NOT saying the #’s aren’t really, really good”…

my bad.

• Jak says:

As someone pointed out on an another site, it’s interesting that over the past few weeks viewership went up by 10 million in Russia.

Viewers can judge the stoic Russian’s status for themselves in this exclusive video shot just hours following his procedure. Joined by M-1 Global CEO Joost Raimond, Emelianenko and promoter discuss the success of co-promotion with Strikeforce, the 6 million viewers that watched Emelianenko’s bout in Russia and UFC President Dana White’s criticism.

• Scott H. says:

Some good converstation, and some great questions being asked, but the main thing I’m thinking is, “who cares”.

I think like most people, I want Strikeforce to do well, and I’d like to see more free events on CBS. I’m just not sure if ratings in Russia, regardless of if they are good, bad, or ugly, will put even $1 more in Scott Coker’s pocket. Will rating’s in Korea impact on if and when CBS broadcast’s another event? Only a few numbers matter, and that is $ from the gate, pay to fighters, and US televsion ratings.

Hat’s off to M1, who have shown that, if nothing else, they are great at keeping the buzz going on the internet.

• FightFan313 says:

The only thing about this that sucks for strickforce is that they put just about all of there top fights in the card. They are still extremely thin with talent. I do like where they are going and fighters they are signing though. If they get Dan Hederson signs I think that at would be a huge blow for the UFC because the UFC is extremely greedy with money and with that said, CBS has deep deep pockets.

• Nick Havok says:

Article says,

Ahhhh-yeah! 25 mil.

That is what M-1 Global brings to the table.

The globe.

• Niv says:

I think the numbers are relevant regardless of where the fights were viewed.

CBS makes money as it sells the air time to foreign networks and if those networks are paying because there’s demand, that in the end winds up making money for all involved.

This is good news for the sport in general and very good news for SF in my opinion.

• Ray Pist says:

Everyone knocks on M-1 Global…but the proof is in the pudding…there is a huge market out there that isn’t in the U.S…M-1 brought many tv stations to the table, and well to the people who say “I don’t believe a word M-1 says anymore”>..when is the anymore? Since when? Since Dana didn’t get what he wanted and made up some stupid facts to try and trick us?

Hendo asked for highest contract in all of ufc? Do you believe Dana?

EA said MMA wasn’t a sport?…Do you really believe Dana?

We offered Fedor 5 mil a fight, he wanted 50 percent of my company? Do you honeslty belive Dana?

I aint saying M-1 is flawless or dana never tells the truth…but I mean M-1 isn’t a bunch of crooks, they bin working on getting the global market, for affliction 3 they had the deals set up…ufc and barnett fed that up….so yeah they bin doing this for a long time, and workin to get what htey need!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“I aint saying M-1 is flawless or dana never tells the truth”

I’ll say he never tells the truth unless it is good for the UFC and his pocket.
    If you listen to what Dana white says you are getting a completely 1 sided line of comment which has nothing to do with the good of MMA just the good of the UFC. He is the UFC promoter/president…what do you expect. People claim if you like MMA you must thank Dana or be loyal or something and that he is doing his thing for the fans and the good of MMA. Yeah and Coke promoted itself and became so big for the fans and the good of cola.

Sorry but I’m an opportunist.