Jake Rosholt Cut by the UFC

jake rosholtJake Rosholt has been released from the UFC following the former collegiate wrestling stand-out’s recent defeat at the hands of Kendall Grove during UFC 106.

FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned of the news of Rosholt’s release from the promotion through a spokesperson from Team Takedown.

A four-time All-American and Big 12 Conference champion out of Oklahoma State University, Rosholt finished his collegiate wrestling career with a more than impressive record of 105–20 competing at the highest level possible.

Since making the transition to mixed martial arts, Jake has compiled a record of 8-2 while notching wins over the likes of Nissen Osternick and Chris Leben, while suffering his only two defeats to Grove and Dan Miller.

Both of Rosholt’s defeats have come by way of submission; with the loss to Miller coming by guillotine, and the Grove bout ending with a triangle choke.

There were many that were skeptical of Rosholt’s decision to make the move to the UFC after only his fifth professional scrap, but there’s no denying the fact that Jake has a ton of potential and time to grow before it’s all said and done.

• nate says:

wow..kinda surprised they’d cut him. seems a bit premature and its sad to see him go because im certain he will be coming back. team takedown is getting better as a whole and are quickly becoming a respected camp in my mind.

• Guy Gaduois says:

A couple of odd moves by the UFC in the last few months. I would gladly save up the money spent on Baroni and Trigg to keep a prospect like Rosholt around – or even piggy bank the money on those cats toward the Dan Henderson fund or some other free agent acquisitions. Trigg and Baroni must be heavily loaded on performance based incentives. Those two guys should be paying the UFC for the opportunity to fight on a card. Past their prime and not good fighters in their last many.
    The UFC needs to be building up the younger prospects and I’d rate Rosholt as far more worthy than others. Surprising.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 2

• Makington says:

Agreed nate. This is on the heels of his submission of the night victory where he beat the extremely popular (although extremely one dimensional) Chris Leben. I thought they would keep him for another fight, considering he hung tough with Kendall before he got caught.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

wow this is disappointing. I really didn’t think Rosholt would be cut like this. THey shoulda atleast gave him a fight against Rob Kimmons or Drew Mcfedries or Tim Mckenzie (if he’s still in the UFC)………………………… or Chael Sonnen. But oh well He could probably make it big in Strikeforce

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

ah crap why did i say Chael Sonnen. I meant Yushin Okami scrap my original post.

• nate says:

make, i totally forgot his violent strangling of leben was SOTN. that really sucks that they can bring in old man trigg and baroni. and NOW they sign elvis sinosic (1-7ufc) and chris hasemen for a ten year too late rematch just to make aussie fans happy but they cant afford to keep a young talented fighter who is on the rise? thats gay.

• Dufresne says:

Makington: On the flipside, he’s young and talented. Now that he knows exactly what he needs to work on, I think we’ll see him in the UFC again, and as a much better fighter than he is now.

Absolutely agree. He’s a good fighter with a decent record, but in the UFC he’s only 1-2. I’m hoping this is a motivating factor for Rosholt to get in the gym and work even harder to either make it back to the UFC or to get picked up by some other big name promotion.

• Nick Havok says:

First post.

I can’t believe the UFC cut Rosholt! Unreal.

Yeah, he lost…so what! He is a promising young talent.

The UFC needs to stick with these younger guys and nurture them along the way thus building their confidence and making them into great fighters (see handling of TUF fighters)…noy cut them first time they lose two fights.

Not to mention this gives Strikeforce the option to pick him up. I mean if I’m Scott Coker, then I’m on the phones right now trying to get this guy.

• FightFan313 says:

They brought back Elvis? Elvis lives!!!! lol. That guy is like 0-1000. Funny Sad.

• Jstew3785 says:

Nick Havok.. from MMA Junkie? I

• Nick Havok says:

Jstew3785: Nick Havok.. from MMA Junkie? I

Yep. It’s me.

• Jstew3785 says:

The UFC has been making some strange decisions lately. I get what they are trying to do but they are failing at it. Sure guys like Baroni put on great shows but they definitely are not the best fighters out there and that is what the UFC takes pride in. Now, I don’t think all of the best fighters are in the UFC, but Dana White sure does, and that’s why I’m really shocked at recent events. Baroni at 13-11, Elvis at god knows what… but you cut young up and comers like Tamdan McCrory and Rosholt.

• Jstew3785 says:

Your reputation precedes you. Welcome

• Dufresne says:

While they say that they are bringing Elvis back because he always shows to fight, and they’re using the same lines for Baroni, they’re really just trying to put butts in the seats. They’re bringing back Elvis for the first UFC in Australia and they know that everyone wants to see the hometown kid perform.

Baroni is a little tougher for me to justify. The only thing I can think is that he’s from New York and they’re trying desperately to get MMA sanctioned in New York, so the more fans from NY they have, the better their shot.

• Nick Havok says:

Jstew3785: Your reputation precedes you. Welcome

Thank you kind, sir.

I am very excited to be posting here from now on.

This site is great!

• Jstew3785 says:

• xtreme_machine says:

Wow

Maybe they want him to cut to welterweight

• edub says:

1st step. Sign Phil Baroni, Dennis Hallman, Frank Trigg.
    2nd step. Cut Dan Henderson(His choice i guess), Jon Fitch(I know it was only for a day), and Jake Rosholt.
    3rd step. ?????????
    4th step. Profit

• edub says:

Jstew3785: Rosholt to me looks like he could make 170. He’s kind of a soft 185, I bet if he naturally lost some weight he could make the cut.

I dont really think so man. The guy won 3 natl championships at 184 and 197. The guy is perfect at 185. He just needs to learn not to give up his neck so much, and after he does he’ll be a fucking monster.

• Vogairian says:

I think this is a good thing for Rosholt and his confidence. It’s much better for a guy like this to get cut and get 4-5 wins and some more experience under his belt then it is to go 2-6 in the UFC and never be heard from again.

• Angry Mike says:

Situations like this are why I thought it was a mistake to eliminate the welter weights, middle weights, etc. in WEC. Zuffa should have used WEC as a farm team for prospects in those classes who need more experience before appearing in the UFC. Rosholt has tons of potential that could be developed in five or six fights.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Rosholt 6-2
    Leites 14-3
    Wedum 13-4-1

Baroni 13-12
    Kimbo 3-1(2)

“…the UFC has the best fighters period”.
    Dana White UFC president.

• hindsightufuk says:

MMA-LOGIC: Rosholt 6-2Leites 14-3Wedum 13-4-1Baroni 13-12Kimbo 3-1(2)“…the UFC has the best fighters period”.Dana White UFC president.

HAHA

i reckon ufc gotta cut a bunch of fighters to free up some money so all these current shitters from TUF can get contracts.

• Nick Havok says:

I still can’t believe the UFC cut Jake.

He was giving Kendall Grove all he could handle until he slipped up for one second and Grove was able to capitalize on the opening with a super-slick submission.

Kinda reminded me of the first Lesnar-Mir fight.

I mean it’s not like Rosholt went out and got dominated or embarassed or anything like that…he just got caught.

It happens. And I don’t agree with cutting him loose for it.

• fetussandwich says:

Elvis Sinosic is back? Is that a joke? He’s the UFC’s Glass Joe. The last time he fought was two years ago and it was a loss. Here’s to hoping this was only because UFC 110 is in Australia.

• hindsightufuk says:

Elvis deserves abit of respect, may be past it now but he fought some top guys back in the day