Dana White: Brock Lesnar ‘still very sick’, ‘we are unsure about his future’

brock_lesnar_wins_ufc_titleWhen UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was forced to pull out of his anticipated UFC 106 clash with Shane Carwin due to what was perceived as a bad case of mononucleosis at the time, most had little doubt that the hulking goliath of a top level athlete would be able to bounce right back from the somewhat common infection.

Unfortunately the news has continued to look more and more grim for the former collegiate and professional wrestling superstar, with what was initially reported as mono rapidly transforming to a nasty intestinal infection that could likely have the man many felt was the future of the heavyweight division forced to the sidelines for an indefinite amount of time.

With Brock being as private a man as he is by nature combined with the sheer magnitude of the possible impact of Lesnar’s retirement from the sport has led to a situation where the facts regarding his current status have been far and in between. It has gone fro a likely six month return from one source, to Dana openly speculating as to whether Lesnar will ever step foot inside of the Octagon fencing once again.

The latest update on the condition of the the UFC’s heavyweight king comes courtesy of UFC President Dana White just hours ago via his Twitter account, and it’s not sounding very optimistic:

Tons of people keep asking me about brock. He is still VERY sick. We are unsure about his future.

Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we continue to keep you up to date with any news regarding Lesnar’s condition and possible return to the UFC.

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 38 Thumb down 60

• frizzle says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 42 Thumb down 27

• Nick Havok says:

frizzle: Still all from Dana. Im waiting for Brock, his camp, or doctor to say something. This could be Dana in promotion mode.

Promoting what though?

How can this be good for the UFC, Brock or the fans?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 28 Thumb down 37

• frizzle says:

think about it. No one but Dana has commented on this. What better to set up a PPV then to say “We though he’d never fight again”

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 34 Thumb down 27

• elsicilian says:

Let’s see, by hyping Brock as “never going to compete again,” Dana can work the fans like Nick Havok (above) into a tizzy, and justify stripping brock of the title, thus creating an exciting four man tournament for the heavyweight crown over the next twelve months. Once that’s resolved itself, Brock can return in a year or so to all sorts of hoopla, smash some sucker in a tune-up fight (to great fanfare and PPV receipts, of course), then challenge Velasquez (or whomever claimed the crown) in what will be the most hyped fight of all time. By overcoming the odds, Lesnar (who has already garnered the respect and sympathy of legions of ertswhile haters) becomes a folk hero to the MMA world, successfully completing his transition from heel to babyface.

Well-Done. Thumb up 39 Thumb down 10

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 21 Thumb down 32

• elsicilian says:

The point is, Brock is gone for the next year or so, any way you slice it. If everyone’s just emotionally cooling their heels until Brock returns, it’s difficult to get excited about ANYTHING that happens in the heavyweight division during the interim. However, if Brock is “never going to fight again,” everyone moves on, and the fights during the interim are more meaningful, and any championship won during the interim appears more legitimate (and certainly doesn’t carry any “interim” baggage).

Furthermore, as I mentioned above, Brock’s pretty popular already, but a lot of the hardcores have always despised him. Dana probably relishes this opportunity to engender some widespread sympathy for his cash cow … the heel-to-hero transition is an absolute classic wrestling storyline, and will almost certainly result in a groundswell of support for Lesnar, raising his popularity to truly epic heights.

Dana is a *promoter* – virtually everything he does is meant to frame the UFC narrative in some way or another … that’s his job! To imagine that he’s speaking personally, just as a friend with regard to Lesnar is incredibly naive. He’s already demonstrated himself to be a much better promoter than that …

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 14

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 25

• Angry Mike says:

I don’t think you guys have plumbed the depths of this conspiracy. Clearly, White has secretly poisoned Lesnar to make him sick, created the crisis and the sympathy for Lesnar, turned this story into the greatest media event in the history of mankind, and will resolve it through courageous leadership, thereby positioning himself to become the undisputed emperor of the known universe. Start stocking up on ammo and canned goods, because once White ascends to his throne, anybody whoever criticized him will be ruthlessly hunted down. BA HA HA HA! (That’s evil White laughter, not derision)

P.S. A foil beanie will make it more difficult for White to find you or project thought controlling rays into your heads. Make yours now!

Well-Done. Thumb up 33 Thumb down 6

• GassedOut says:

All I can say is that I wish Brock Lesnar a speedy recovery. Although I’m not a fan of his in-ring antics at any level, he’s still a fighter, and he’s got a different kind of fight on his hands. Get well soon, Brock. I hope the day comes when you can fight again.

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 7

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 29

• elsicilian says:

It’s not a conspiracy Angry Mike … it’s a billion dollar business conglomerate. I guarantee you that as soon as news of Lesnar’s situation reached Dana White’s ears, he had a meeting with Frank and Lorenzo (and possibly other senior advisors). Item #1 on the meeting’s agenda was “How are we going to spin this story, and how does it figure into our long-term strategy?”

As casual as he appears on television, Dana White does *not* go to a press conference without an idea of what he’s going to say, and without talking points that have been considered and discussed internally. The refrain we’ve been hearing for the last month or two (“Lesnar May Never Fight Again”) is a carefully considered and deliberate marketing message. You can quibble about the rationale behind it, but don’t doubt its essential nature for a minute.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 5

• Scott H. says:

Nick Havok:

As has been pointed out elsewhere, we are just hearing breif comments from Dana, we don’t have the full story yet. Instead of STRIP HIM OF THE BELT ALREADY, how about we wish Brock well, and wait until we have the full medical picture. He just defended the belt in the summer, there is no need to make a hasty decision.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 12

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 8 Thumb down 21

• cocoonofhorror says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 6 Thumb down 17

• I think the interim baggage is good especially in this case. Carwin, Velasquez, Nog, Dos Santos. A solid four man tournament to set up the interim champ. When/IF Brock heals the stroyline is always there. I can see the ad now.

“____ went through two fights to become champion in Lesnars absence and he did so with incredible dominance, but now…the Champion in back…blah blah blah”

What better storyline for a fight? Secondly to strip someone of his belt THIS fast would be downright ridiculous and make the UFC look as if they got their money from Brock and when he no longer was able to produce they kicked him aside. Its been a whole month since they announced Brock was Ill. Randy was out for over a year….we should just remain patient for awhile this situation will work itself out.

• submit662266 says:

How cynical!!! Brock is critically ill!!!

I will be the first to say that I have ZERO respect for Dana White. He is a vastly over-paid used car salesmen. I have finally figured out when Dana is lying: it’s whenever his lips are moving. But I think this is the one thing that he is being truthful about. People get sick. Sometimes, extremely sick. I’m truly worried for him and his family. What a terrible thing to go through.

Brock, I wish you all the best in your battle to be healthy again. My prayers are with you and your family.

• Dufresne says:

It’s clear that he won’t be making a return to the ring for at least a few more months, maybe a year, maybe never. I’m not about to say strip him of the belt, it’s only been a few months and the belt was just reunified.

I stick with my original idea of putting together a tournament with either 4 or 8 fighters with the winner being crowned the interim champ unless Brock is back or clearly done with his MMA career.

• elsicilian says:

Dufresne:Regardless of how you feel about Dana or Brock, this article is not about promotion. People have been asking for all the information they can get about Brock’s health and Dana is giving the only answer that he can. We’ll almost certainly get no information from Brock himself or his gym as he is a notoriously private man, and I think we as a public should respect that especially in regards to illness.

Dana White absolutely does not have to openly postulate that Lesnar “may never fight again” … he could simply say that Lesnar is sick, the extent of his illness is still unknown, and there is no timetable for his recovery. I’m not questioning the reality of Lesnar’s illness, but the fact that Dana White *always* returns to that familiar and completely unnecessary refrain is not insignificant. Anyone who thinks otherwise really hasn’t been paying attention.

Dana White is the spokesman/press secretary/ringleader for the world’s largest MMA promotion … he makes a *very* good living playing his customers like fiddles, and judging from the recent outpouring of heartfelt sympathy for the previously vilified Lesnar (epitomized by many of the posts in this thread and across this site), the man is at the top of his game.

• Dufresne says:

My sympathy towards Lesnar’s situation has nothing to do with anything Dana White has said.

I personally don’t like Lesnar or his antics, but I do admire his athletic ability and recognize how dangerous he is as a fighter. I do agree that he didn’t have to state “he may never fight again” but the fact of the matter is, he might not fight again.

Yes Dana is phenomenal at getting press attention and building hype, but I don’t see how even he could spin this as marketing ploy. What if he’s right? What if Lesnar never fights again, how in the world does that help the UFC or Dana? Brock is the biggest draw in UFC history to date, how is it even remotely beneficial to lose him?
    Let me remind you of another young heavyweight star on the rise that almost lost his career outside of the Octagon: Remember when Frank Mir was in the motorcycle accident and almost lost a leg, the docs told him he might not walk again, much less fight. Do you remember the amount of hype they put on him when he came back? If you don’t, let me remind you; there was almost none. Where was the almighty hype machine then?

• elsicilian says:

Dufresne: I do agree that he didn’t have to state “he may never fight again” but the fact of the matter is, he might not fight again.

So you agree that Dana White had no good reason to repeatedly volunteer that opinion, yet you dispute that his decision to say it had anything to with his role as promoter for the UFC, and his responsibility to articulate a coherent narrative arc for the heavyweight division in general? No offense, but that’s pretty myopic on your part.

I’m not sure why the UFC has so often treated Mir like a red haired stepchild … frankly (no pun intended), that seems a little off-topic. In any case, I can assure you that as the highest grossing PPV draw in UFC history, Lesnar is *vastly* more important to the organization’s long term strategy than *anybody* else, and I am sure that consideration of his career consumes a proportionately greater amount of organizational resources – strategic, intellectual, marketing and otherwise.

I offered a pretty detailed explanation about how spinning this story as ‘Lesnar May Never Fight Again” provides a number of tangible and significant benefits to the UFC as a whole. Even if you don’t agree with the specifics of my argument, at least it proves that *such an argument can be made* … and I guarantee you that the folks at the UFC made time in their busy schedules to consider such arguments before Dana White made any statements to the press.

• Dufresne says:

First off, nice use of the word “myopic” in a sentence.

The reason I’m inclined to believe that this is not designed specifically to build hype is due to the way this was released. He didn’t call together a huge press conference or wait to mention it after tomorrow’s (well technically today’s) event, he released it on his personal twitter. As far as for a reason as to even mention it? People have been asking.

You make some very valid points in all of your above posts, but I stand behind my original stance that this article was more about updating us to Brock’s situation (after all, this is a MMA news forum) and not a ploy to spin a story.

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree here, but that’s the fun of all of this isn’t it?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Glad to see people are weary about what Dana says. I hope Brock comes back and fights…Overeem in Strikeforce has a Coors lite, then goes to Japan and fights Barnett in Sengoku and then fights Fedor for the world unifying mega-terrific belt, or he could just go back to a suffocating UFC contract where he fights only UFC fighters and only drinks Bud Lite.

• FightFan313 says:

Dudes. Brock could fight 2 or 3 times and make the UFC way more many that trying to hype a fight of come back from illness in 8 or 12 months lol. It’s not that I want to see Brock win or even thing a is a good fighter I just want to see that other guy win.

I think it sucks that someone has to loose weight to make it in the MMA and barely beat a guy like Randy. The weight class is to open. Brock has only a right hand and wrestling to go along with size. He is a tremendous athlete but because of the size, his true skill isn’t shown.
    I don’t know any guys that size that has the skill like a GSP or BJ Penn, Machida, Anderson Sivla, Shogun, Nate the Great, Jose Alvo ect. 205 to 250 is stacked with talent.

I propose a 206 -230 class and 231-255 class then 256-300 class.

• moosebaby02 says:

elsicilian Dufresne
    its been a long time for two guys to go through their points on this site with out having to resort to name calling.
    both of you great points i believe you are both right

• Dufresne says:

I honestly didn’t think we had resorted to name calling, I was simply enjoying a good discussion with someone that has a different view than myself. elsicilian had some good points and was very articulate about them, which I appreciate even if we don’t agree.

• elsicilian says:

No name-calling whatsoeverl; quite the contrary, I think Dufrense seems like a thoughtful and intelligent person … we just have a respectful difference of opinon on a fundamentally speculative question.

Having said that, I believe your earlier post illustrates the crux of our disagreement, and the basic idea I’ve been trying to develop across this entire thread:

Dufresne: Not every move Dana makes has to do with promoting some long term strategy, remember him calling for Chuck’s retirement? Dana knows that Chuck will bring a huge PPV crowd regardless of his losing streak, so why has he openly said that he has no desire for Chuck to fight again?

Unlike you, I believe that every public move and every public statement that Dana makes *does* have to do with promoting a long-term strategy. In Liddell’s case, Dana probably believes he has more long-term value as an elder statesman figure (UFC controls the exclusive use of his lucrative name and likeness), rather than a washed-up former champion, and keeping him out of lopsided losses to mediocre fighters certainly furthers that goal. Also, while he and Chuck are old friends (and I am sure he doesn’t want to see his friend seriously hurt or brain-damaged), he’s not unaware of the negative impact such a development would have on the nascent sport of MMA either.

I don’t think Dana White is evil incarnate, or some absolutely Machiavellian figure, through and through; rather, I think he’s a very high-profile fight promoter who is exceptionally good at his job. Consequently, every *public* act or statement he performs or issues (regardless of the medium) should be considered an intentional message; that’s certainly what I’d expect him to be doing if he was promoting MY billion dollar business!