Jon Jones: ‘I was always the kid that snitched’

jon jonesAs the just twenty-two year old Jon Jones prepares for the biggest bout of his professional fighting career this Saturday evening during “The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale”, he may have just unknowingly created a whole new legion of Matt Hamill fans that have never existed before. Most notably anyone that has felt the sting of a snitch at any point during their career of doing bad.

A self-described “sheltered” and “never popular” child growing up, Jones was never the one looking to cause trouble during his years spent in grade school.

“As a kid I was never popular,” admitted “Bones” in a recent conversation with Sherdog.com. “I was always kind of just nice to everyone. I don’t know. It was always about me and my brothers growing up.

“My parents kept us pretty sheltered. We were never allowed to spend the night at our friends’ house, not once. We were always taught to take care of our family and do the right things.”

In Jones eyes, doing the right thing definitely included spilling the beans anytime he witnessed anything he judged to be wrong as an adolescent.

“I’ve always been a person who tries to do the right thing in life, for the most part,” said Jones. “I’m no angel, but I was always the kid who snitched on the kids who had pot. I don’t want to offend the pot smokers out there, but I was kind of just a snitch. I was just down for people doing the right thing. My parents kind of raised me to be a good guy. I’ve always been down for the good side, I guess.”

Jones and Hamill will face off during the TUF 10 Finale set for December 5 from Las Vegas, airing live on Spike TV.

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 44 Thumb down 56

• Guthookd says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 30 Thumb down 46

• edub says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 35 Thumb down 47

• Angry Mike says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 62 Thumb down 42

• Nick Havok says:

Angry Mike: Yeah! Let’s all hate on the smug bastard who won’t wallow in mediocrity and pretends he has something better in his life than illegal substances. Who the hell does he think he is?

I have no problem if Jon is against drugs…and as you say, doesn’t want to wallow in mediocrity. That is all fine and dandy. It’s HIS life.

Key word there is ‘his.’

But when he is going out of his way to snitch or rat on someone else for doing it…then that just makes him a hater.

…I wish I hadn’t even have read this story to be honest. Because now I just want to see this rat get completely f*cked up.

Well-Done. Thumb up 51 Thumb down 40

• 3OAM says:

This is just like when Bill Clinton got caught up with Monica Lewinsky.

No one gives a shxt about how much of a snitch you are, man. I just want to see you get in the cage and beat some people up. The fact that he’s a snitch is totally irrelevant to why I’m interested in him.

Well-Done. Thumb up 34 Thumb down 23

• JabCrossHook says:

snitches get stiches, be lucky you only snitched people out for minor weed shit and it didn’t get in the way of someone’s money because if it did, you would not be on TV, you’d be in a urn or a box.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 25 Thumb down 31

• JollyDV says:

I imagine Jones is sitting there right now thinking I really put my foot in my mouth on this one. He is really young and time will help him in the future while doing interviews. If he snitched as a teen, it really has nothing to do with his fight career now and while it really bothers a few you, it doesn’t phase me. Wish both fighters the best and yes, he just sent many of his fans over to the Hamill side.

Well-Done. Thumb up 24 Thumb down 10

• Nick Havok says:

Nick Havok: He should have been a cop then…not a fighter.But being a pot smoker myself…let me just say, F*CK PEOPLE LIKE THIS! It isn’t any of his business what other people are doing. Nosey ass motherf*cker.And the article was right…I hope Hamill knocks the absolute sh*t out of Jones. I instantly hate this chump now.

Yes, this was not my most politically correct post…and it will most likely get blocked.

That is fine…I expected as much. Thing is though, I don’t effin care. As soon as I read this article it instantly hit a nerve with me.

For I have been on that other end. I was busted for sitting in my car and smoking a blunt on a lunch break once because some asshole do-gooder walked by and decided to call the cops on me.

I had to spend 2 full days in jail, pay upwards of $5,000 for lawyers, court fees, etc., had to attend 50 hours worth of outpatient substance abuse treatment, 1 year of probation, and I took upwards of 30-some drug tests.

It fucking sucked!

And for what? Because someone didn’t like the smell? I mean I didn’t hurt anybody, any property…hell, I wasn’t even bothering anyone!

So yeah…I have a personal grudge against snitches. I want to see them hurt…and hurt badly.

Well-Done. Thumb up 56 Thumb down 35

• Xspur says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 32 Thumb down 42

• thunder okami says:

Jones is still cool as hell and the future of the 205 division

Well-Done. Thumb up 33 Thumb down 19

• JollyDV says:

Jones is still cool as hell and the future of the 205 division

Jones is still cool as hell and the future of the 205 division

Exactly!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 21

• Nick Havok says:

thunder okami: Um…whats with the hate? He’s talking about when he was a kid…….It’s like someone making fun of you for pissing your pants back in preschoolJones is still cool as hell and the future of the 205 division

I doubt people were smoking weed around him in preschool.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 27 Thumb down 22

• Nick Havok says:

Holy moly…is the do-good force out grading comments today or what?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 29 Thumb down 27

• Jess says:

For the Hamill vs Jones fight I will be rooting for the best man to win. As far as Jones being a snitch on people who do stupid things like do illegal drugs, I have no problem with that. So he’s a do gooder, we need more people like that in this world who try to do the right thing. If Jones is what he says he is and is a good guy drug free, judging from his comments respects his family and does the right thing, look at what his opposite would be someone who has done illegal drugs maybe continues too. Someone who has no respect for family or others, which translates to no respect for society (someone like War Machine). It takes more guts to stand up for what is right then to just go along with the rest of the sheep. I personally would rather hang out with Jones than the guys he snitches on.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 23

• Scott H. says:

Nick Havok: Holy moly…is the do-good force out grading comments today or what?

It’s a little differn’t then MMA Junkie here.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 17

• Nick Havok says:

Scott H.: It’s a little differn’t then MMA Junkie here. There is some great debate, some thought provoking ideas, and some good laughs to be had in the comments section here, but there is no need to hate on fighters, or anyone.You clearly love the sport, and have some interesting thoughts , but perhaps, and just a sugestion… try being more positive.

You are right about one thing…this isn’t MMAJunkie.

I think the posters are much more educated on this board and strive to make better comments than some of the stuff I read on other sites. I really like it too. But not every story can be met with roses and candy…sometimes, just sometimes a negative comment is in order.

And this one really hit home with me. I wish the unimaginable on guys like Jon Jones…the UNIMAGINABLE.

That is why I said I wished I had not even read this story in the first place.

So I’m real sorry if I didn’t come out, ignore the meat of the article and claim Jon is the future of the division. It’s just not how I felt.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 18

• edub says:

Snitching on people for smoking weed in my middle/high school or whatever is retarted to me. I see no benefit to it for anyone. It sounds like he was just trying to be somewhat of a teachers pet. Which is garbage to me.
    HOWEVER..
    He doesn’t sound particularly proud of it. Which made me think that he’s probably grown to realize he was a little too sheltered as a kid. This in no way effects his career and I still believe we’ll be seeing him and Mousasi in the next five years going back and forth to see who is the best 205 lber in the world. I was already rooting for Hamil.

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 5

• nate says:

i love bones jones and i love weed. im sorry jon was so misinformed groing up.

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 2

• David Andrest says:

Nick Havok: Holy moly…is the do-good force out grading comments today or what?

Nick, you’re getting slammed harder than a writer not dangling from GSP or Andersons sack.

The rule of thumb somedays is YEAH good guy. Boooo Bad guy. Just like the ol days.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 12

• bjjnewb says:

I think the haters on here serioulsy need to re-read the article and gain a little perspective. First off this was taken from a “conversation” with Sherdog, one would presume that a question was asked and he simply responeded. Would you rather he lied about who he was and what he was like as a child so as not to offend anyone who may smoke weed. The point of the article is to allow people to get to know about about the fighter, nothing more nothing less. Furthernore he is referring to what he “WAS” like, he did not say anywhere in the article that just yesterday he ratted out a couple dudes for smokin a spliff……..Even if he had, oh well.

To want the unimaginable done to someone who snitched on people in Jr. High, serioiusly??? That is a bit much, get over it. Honestly comments of that nature make you sound as if you are still in Jr.High.

Jones is an incredibly talented fighter with a very bright future, I cannot wait to see this fight.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 11

• Angry Mike says:

David:

If you were hanging from GSP’s or Anderson’s nut sack AND smoking a blunt, that would change everything.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 0

• Makington says:

While I think doing drugs is one of the worst way to judge someone, I don’t see why people would hate Jon for this. I don’t do any of them personally because they stay in your system for atleast 40 days and I would fail any test I took, but some of my best friends I’ve had were total pot heads. They were also some of the kindest people and most down to earth people I’ve known as well.

edub brought up a great point. The way Jon says it, it looks like he was a little ashamed of it, because he has clearly grown up a lot since highschool and realized that he was being a terd. I doubt you would see him doing anything like that nowadays, and I’d much rather him be up-standing than a total drug addict as well. I think taddling on someone for something so insignificant that didn’t have anything to do with Jones was lame of him, but I understand that he was a kid when he did it, and as far as stupid things you do when you’re a kid, that’s not so bad.

Don’t worry Mr. Havok, I don’t hate you for disagreeing. Quite often I wish we disagreed more. But this is still the site to be.

• Nick Havok says:

edub: Nick I can’t say I agree with someone calling the cops on you when your smoking a blunt in your car, but seriously just sitting there. Why not go on a blunt ride/cruise.. a lot less chance of getting seen.

I know…I lived there for 20 some years.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 5

• Ozone says:

I’m sure a lot of John’s sheltered early life led to some his attitudes on drugs/weed earlier in his adolescence. As he says, he did it because he wanted people to get the most out of their lives (at least in his mind) rather than wanting to see them busted/punished. Other than sheltering him too much from the real world, his parents seemed to have done a good job raising him and imparting good values on him. As a weed smoker, I am not offended by his comments. People who are idiots when they break the law and bitch about the snitch are just trying to manipulate/intimidate others who 9 times out of 10 have no allegiance/loyalty/association with them whatsoever. If you are gonna do things like break the law, be smart about your execution. Don’t expect people who don’t know you from Adam to cover your back for no reason.
    On a lighter note, I do find it funny learning more about Jones and how it changed my preconceived notions on his nickname. I thought “Bones” might be because he rolls a heck of a spliff. Guess not.

• Guthookd says:

Nick Havok: This is true…but cruising around Olathe, Kansas while smoking weed isn’t a very good idea. There is a cop every 10 feet in that city…and they love to bust people for whatever they can. I know…I lived there for 20 some years.When I got busted the cops showed up almost instantaneously from when the people called me in. Seriously, we were only there for a few minutes and were virtually done when the cop pulled up behind me. I couldn’t believe it! My job has a huge lot (for the 1000+ people who work there) and we were at the very back…no one was even around! He found the roach. that is what I got busted for… and effing blunt roach. Whoa! Big crime there!But man, when there is a report someones smoking weed in Kansas, they send the damn SWAT team in after them.It’s a complete joke. That is why I moved my butt to Missouri first chance I got.

You need to come to California. We made it legal…except for Nick Diaz.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 3

• MMA-LOGIC says:

This has turned 100% against Jones. I hope he has changed.
    A person trying to do the right thing in life = cool by me.
    A person who tells on others for doing what HE THINKS IS WRONG= dick.

I have done a fair few stupid things in my life from j-walking to more serious stuff and I am still paying for some of those things I did decades ago when I was a kid in the way of regret, but 1 thing I don’t regret is smoking pot and I would not hold it against anyone who chooses to smoke it themselves. It is legal in many countries and places around the world and the reason for many other places not decriminalizing it is it would be political suicide for a politiction to try and pass it because of the general public’s misconceptions about it. In my opinion (and I’m not alone) alcohol has a far worse impact on society than dope.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 2

• Dufresne says:

Guess Bones just got taken off the Phelps Christmas party list.

• moosebaby02 says:

excatly Logic.
    I somke pot. a matter of fact i just smoked a joint right before i read this story and was pissed first then i was like what ever. IM HIGH
    dub is right it does sound like he kinda of regret being that guy who cant just mind his own damn business.
    and for the people who like to judge others, your the ones who have nothing better to do with you own damn boring lives so you just have to find a way to be something or what ever by getting your self in others affairs
    JabCrossHook is right people get shot for less so is really worth being the good semartin cause you think its the right thing???
    “take care of your shit and i will take care of mine. dont worry bout me im a grown man” is what i say