Jon Jones disqualified for illegal elbows in TUF 10 Finale bout with Matt Hamill

tuf 10Formerly undefeated light heavyweight Jon “Bones” Jones earned his first professional defeat this evening in a bout with Matt Hamill that many observers firmly believed he had in the bag.

The two faced off during The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale that took place from The Pearl at the Palms in Las Vegas.

After scoring a takedown on the decorated collegiate wrestler midway through the first round, Jones was able to basically have his way with Hamill, brutalizing the more experienced Octagon veteran with a series of vicious elbows and punches from the mount position.

Eventually Jones wound up throwing two distinct downward elbow strikes that forced a halt in the action. After a point had been instantly deducted from the twenty-two year old rising star for the infraction it was ruled that Hamill was in no condition to continue. When the smoke had a chance to clear it was Hamill’s hand that was ultimately raised in victory after a disqualification ruling in his favor was handed down.

Whether it had to do with Hamill’s ultimate decision that he could not continue or not is speculation at this point, but Hamill complained of an inability to move his left arm at the duration of the bout above any perceived injuries from the fight-ending foul.

Jones seemed to take the ruling with a grain of salt, stating, “I’m just grateful for being healthy and everything else. Everything happens for a reason.”

• hindsightufuk says:

disqualification, sure, but it has to be a no contest

Well-Done. Thumb up 47 Thumb down 8

• jding3 says:

I agree hindsightufuk i totally think this should be a no contest, but finally mazzagatti had a good call by noticing those illegal elbows. it will be interesting to see if this decision gets overturned

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 5

• edub says:

Definately should have been a no contest. Half the fans would have been ok with it being stopped 30 seconds prior. Jones and Hamil are both class acts.

Well-Done. Thumb up 24 Thumb down 4

• Makington says:

A shame for sure, but I was still extremely impressed with Jones. He goes out there and embarrasses fighters in way they haven’t been before. He makes octagon vets look like chumps. The unfortunate thing with his illegal elbow was that I don’t think it was the elbow itself that took Hamill out, it was all the legal shots building up to it. If all Jones had done was the one illegal elbow, Matt would have been fine imo. But that one illegal shot with about 97 legal ones before took its toll.

Both fighters were true class acts after the fight and I look forward to seeing them both again soon.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 3

• BigDave says:

Hamill said he couldnt move his left arm that is what stopped the fight. Jones got screwed in this one. At worst it should be a no contest but a loss when you just destroyed a guy like he did is just not right.
    Mazagati asked Hamill twice before he stopped it if Hamill wanted to continue and got no response….Hey Steve the guy is deaf he can’t hear you MORON.

Well-Done. Thumb up 36 Thumb down 6

• xtreme_machine says:

This is bullshit.

It shoul have been a tko for Jones.

Ref should have stopped it earlier.

Well-Done. Thumb up 27 Thumb down 12

• moosebaby02 says:

that was a serious beat down. feel bad for Bones but ruels are ruels i guess. i was worried for Jones in this one but showed me he has alot to give when it comes to a fight. im very impressed. he will be back.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 4

• BigDave says:

moosebaby02: that was a serious beat down. feel bad for Bones but ruels are ruels i guess.

I’ve heard rules are rules also! ;)

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 2

• Rich S. says:

First off, amazing fight from Jones.
    I’m a huge fan of this guy, but Hamill always shocks the hell out of me so I just had to pick him..
    He was totally brutalizing Hamill and I don’t think it shouldn’t been stopped sooner, but, had he held back from those deadly elbows, it would’ve been over within seconds..

When Mazzagatti stood him up and Matt said he was done, I was wondering why they weren’t calling it a DQ.. Sure enough, after the commercial break Bones got the news and you could tell he was crushed..

This kid is absolutely amazing. He’s 22 years old, and incredible talent aside, he’s more mature than anyone I’ve ever seen in the octagon.. I mean, he just totally dominated a top LHW contender, and had it taken away from him, yet, he just loves life, is thankful to be healthy, and can’t wait to get back in the octagon.. That takes some serious discipline.. Although, I’m sure the thought in the back of his mind that he destroyed Hamill will help too..

Bones continues to amaze me with every outing, and I firmly believe that he’ll be fighting for the belt within a year, and will set a record for youngest UFC champion.. Yeah, I said it..

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 1

• Makington says:

I was going to make a similar pun lol.

BigDave:

lmao good one. Actually I’ve never given it much thought yet about how that affects Hamill in the ring. You can’t very well tell him things like, ‘don’t grab the fence/shorts, watch the back of the head, move or I’ll stand you up.’ He also can’t get any instructions, or hear when the round is about to end.

• David Andrest says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 32

• Makington says:

David Andrest:
    No one should ever escape a loss byDQ. Jones had theLcoming.

As unfortunate as it was in this situation, I agree. I saw the DQ coming the second it happened. I was actually surprised while everyone was acting like Jones was getting the win. It wouldn’t make sense if he got a win, or even a no-contest. Otherwise other fighters might ‘accidentally’ drop that same kind of fight ending elbow or knees to downed opponents if it might get them a win.

We’ve seen the same thing happen with other fights (Cane/Irvin Silva/Okami) Atleast you could tell Hamill wasn’t faking it, and wussing out of the fight.

It’s unfortunate since if stopped him from a guaranteed win, but those are the breaks. How will this affect rankings is what I really wonder? Will Jon Jones go down for this, even though he beat a tough seasoned vet, and vica verca with Hamill?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 4

• Pajamashark says:

Jones did dominate and Hamill got pretty tore up.

IMHO, the ref should have stopped the fight and called it a win for Jones before the DQ. That being said, Jones was well on his way to victory and should have known better *especially* when he is about to win, then to drop illegal elbows.

(Joe Rogan’s anecdote about why the that kind of elbows are banned was hilarious! Elbows cut ice oh noes! The commissioners and the refs consistently make Dana White seem like a Rhodes Scholar in comparison.)

• ndizzle says:

hindsightufuk: disqualification, sure, but it has to be a no contestcalling it a win for matt just doesnt make sense to me, no one should ever win via disqualification

its only no contest if its accidental which they werent,great job by mazzagati for using the replays

• fraz says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 9 Thumb down 24

• fraz says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 21

• nate says:

jon jones had the win and mazzagatti fucked him over. HOW MANY TIMES was jones pounding on a bleeding matt hamil only to look up at mazzagatti with a look like really? you want me to keep hitting him? cause he is pretty much done..hamil was hurt before the two illegal elbows. it should have already been stopped! furthermore hamil said his SHOULDER was the reason he couldnt continue. to me jon jones should have had a point deducted by hamil said he cant move his arm..the elbows didnt touch his arms…jones should have been awarded the tko long before that. i cannot believe someone thinks mazzagatti did right..what fight were u watchin’ man? that was a horrible call….”matt are you ok? can you continue matt?” almost as bad as giving burns the eyepoke tko over rumble. it just sucked. jones destroyed the hammer..he was actually trying to save hamil from further damage too! mazzagatti really shit the bed this time.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 18

• Yeah it should have been a no contest.

But wow this was the first time I saw Jon JOnes fight and he is awesome!!!

I can’t wait to see him fight again.

• David Andrest says:

therussianexperiment: Yeah it should have been a no contest.But wow this was the first time I saw Jon JOnes fight and he is awesome!!!I can’t wait to see him fight again.

NO, it shouldn’t have been ruled a no contest.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 4

• iksrtfo says:

A fight can be ruled a DQ…if stopped because a fighter can’t continue after getting hit with illegal strikes…..I’m pretty sure the elbows had nothing to do with Matt’s shoulder…and therefore had nothing to do with him not being able to continue.
    When Jones looked up Mazz, to get him to stop the fight…it should have been…Hamil was OUT….jones stops any action for like 10 seconds…and Hamill doesn’t even move….B.S.

but…lets all be real…even with the DQ…Dana and boys better have seen the dominance…time to move Bones up again…

• edub says:

David Andrest: NO, it shouldn’t have been ruled a no contest. You don’t rule NC based on liking the guy, or his previous accomplishments during the bout. I don’t have to like it, you don’t have to like it. Maz made the right call . The argument to have is why wasn’t the fight stopped. Again, Maz made the right call ( this time) but there is at least an argument there.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 6

• primetime says:

The loss for Jones made sense…if all you had to do to avoid a loss was get disqualified fighters would be intentionally kicking each other in the nuts during the 3rd round so it doesn’t go to a decision. I’m not saying Jones was going to lose…I’m just saying Mazagatti made the right decision. Yes I know fighters wouldn’t really do that I’m just making the point that a no contest wasn’t appropriate.

• Vogairian says:

I’d agree with the DQ if it’s what had ended the fight, but that’s not the case. Hamill himself said he blew out his shoulder and couldn’t defend himself, that to me is what ended the fight and that’s why it should have been a no contest.

• JOEgun says:

Jon Jones was very very impressive. No one had ever taken out Matt Hamill in such a way. Yes the outcome was unfortunate and I hate to see a LOSS go on fighters record after such a great performance but whatever, those are the rules i guess. The part that may be bothering me a little more is the fact that Matt Hamill actually gets WIN on his record when he himself doesnt even feel he earned it. A win on your record for a fight where you were domintated is what doesnt make sense but oh well.
    Cant wait to see who Jones fights next.

• Dufresne says:

He’s deaf, we all know that, so how is a ref supposed to ask him if he’s ok or tell him anything? Even if he could read the refs lips which I highly doubt he could do while trying to avoid shots from above like last night. Do they have a different system for the refs to communicate with him?

• ndizzle says:

mazagatti caame in and stopped the fight becuse of the blood and cut,not because the shoulder,so jones was throwing a 12-to-6 elbow intntionally,he may have not known they were illegal,so thats why he intntionally threw them,and tthats what busted hammill,thats why mazagatti jumped in but remamber after the fight was ended,maazagtt went to the replays and called a dq.

• David Andrest says:

edub:

edub, you might have seen it that way, and I may have seen it that way.

The NSAC , Maz and the judges use replay, reviewed the tape and determined the elbows were a contributing factor to the fight ending.

Our opinion , ( and I think we’re right) doesn’t matter. Based on what they determined, they made the right call.

No NC.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

• ndizzle says:

edub: It should be ruled a no contest because the 3 illegal elbows were not what caused Matt not being able to continue. It was the throw and the 17-20 clean shots he it him with that were legal. He said it himself after the fight. His shoulder popped out so he couldn’t defent correctly…so he couldnt continue. It has nothing to do with “liking” the guy.Props to Mazzagati for letting the fight go as long as it did. That video should be showed to refs around the nation. This could be a great learning point for the athletic commisions. How bout push a rule through to allow 12-6 elbows. Have the way Mazzagati handled the finish be the “standard” so fighters find a more effective way to finish the fight rather than throw a billion punches at gloves/forearms. And so the fighter doesnt look up at the referee to try and get him to step in.

jo jones at the beginning was awarded the win due to cuts that why the fight was stopped,it had nothing to due with hammil not continuing,so maz checked it, it was illegal elbows that made those nasty cuts.and you want to allow those elbows,thats wrong,if you allow that kind of elbow,evrbody is guna take the easy win and go 4 an elbow and win due to a cut.thats why i liked pride,pride did not allow elbows

• Pajamashark says:

Dufresne: I’m not trying to be insensitive or rude, but I have a legitimate question about Hamill.

I’ve thought about this A LOT becuase the first time I saw Hamill fight I was in the middle of an ASL class and learning Deaf Culture. Last night I really felt for him because I don’t think the UFC/Athletic Commission makes a lot of allowances for deaf people.

He can’t hear his corner during the fight. He can’t hear the “10 second” clapping noise. If his eyesight gets compromised he’s lost not only his visual cues but his entire way of communicating. His hands being in gloves would be like a Hearing person trying to talk though a ball-gag. Imagine all of that plus getting rocked in the brain by punches.

When he was on his back, with blood pouring into his eyes, how the heck was he supposed to know what Mazzagatti was asking him? “Are you conscious?” “Can you continue?” “Do you like me better with the mustache or without?” Not trying to be flip, but I think Matt relies on a set of situations he can respond to in order to partially understand what is going on. His hand gets raised, he’s the winner. Ref jumps between them: stop. Ref jumps away: touch gloves, begin.

Of course during a fight it is clear he is very talented and capable. But how would a ref warn Hamil, “Don’t grab the cage” or “Watch the fingers in the eyes” if he needed to? Matt can’t even hear his coaches shouting mid-fight strategy unless he wants to take his eyes off the guy in front of him trying to take his head off.

I give him so much credit becuase fighting in the UFC is hard enough without being Deaf and Hamill has gotten far. His speech is also very very good- heck, I can understand him better then Machida or the Cyborgs. I think that might have the effect of making Refs and Officials take it for granted that he learned how to communicate with them, so they might figure (wrongly) the onus is on Hamill to figure out what they are communicating back. I think the Refs SHOULD be bothered to learn a few signs beforehand if they know they are on his bout. Mazzagatti shouting at Hamill’s blood filled upended face last night was asinine.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

• Angry Mike says:

Fraz:

You had glaucoma in 8th grade? Most guys that age go blind for other reasons.

• bbond30 says:

• ndizzle says:

bbond30: Jones gets disqualified for two illegal blows in a fight he was clearly winning but Kevin Burns was awarded a win for illegal eye pokes to Anthony Johnson in a fight he was clearly loosing? Someone explain that one!

• ndizzle says:

ndizzle: Johnson gets poked in the eye. He flails out and Mazzagatti thought it was from a legal blow. He didn’t see the eye poke, so he awarded a TKO. He thought it was a legit punch. No scorecards. No foul. TKO.

there was no instant replay back then,this is the first time it was availble

• king mah mah says:

You could see the DQ coming from a mile away. Whoever doesn’t think so must not be a true fan of mma! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

• WarCry says:

I agree with the DQ as the ruling for the fight but, upon hearing that it was the shoulder injury that stopped Hamil instead of the strikes the judgment must be changed. In the interest of getting it right Mazzagati used instant replay. If you can trouble yourself to look a replays you can ultimately get the decision correct. That being said, I told a friend before Machida’s title defense against
    Shogun that Jones was the only real threat to the belt for the Dragon. He’s gonna get a major step up in competition in his next outing. Lil Nog maybe Forrest. Either way it is guaranteed must see Tv.

• neijia says:

WarCry: I agree with the DQ as the ruling for the fight but, upon hearing that it was the shoulder injury that stopped Hamil instead of the strikes the judgment must be changed.In the interest of getting it right Mazzagati used instant replay.If you can trouble yourself to look a replays you can ultimately get the decision correct.That being said, I told a friend before Machida’s title defense against
    Shogun that Jones was the only real threat to the belt for the Dragon.He’s gonna get a major step up in competition in his next outing. Lil Nog maybe Forrest. Either way it is guaranteed must see Tv.

Barring anything weird like injuries, Jones is for sure the future LHW Champion. At only 22, he has about a 15-18 year window in which he could easily win/hold/lose/win back the belt. I don’t think he’ll beat Machida in the next 2-3 years, but it’s only a matter of time after that. Jones is a future Anderson Silva caliber fighter. I don’t see how anyone can say Hamill is some kind of top contender. Jones will beat pretty much everyone at LHW. There is Lil Nog and Shogun that would be tough matches. Mousasi would probably beat Jones right now, but isn’t in the UFC. Otherwise Jones would rip through Griffin, Rashad, Rampage, etc.

• Nick Havok says:

Hahahaha in Jon Jone’s face!

I LOVED how Jones was winning, but then cheated and subsequently had his victory taken away from him.

I mean it sucks when the authorities come in and ruin your day, isn’t it Jon?

HAHAHA!

Karma’s a bitch, snitch!

• moosebaby02 says:

yes karma is a bitch Havok
    but a least he is handeling it with much better class then you are.
    get over it. Like he said everything happens for a reason.
    Still like reading you posts and im the one who just gave you the thumbs up

• Nick Havok says:

moosebaby02: yes karma is a bitch Havokbut a least he is handeling it with much better class then you are.tell me was it jones himself who snitched on you???? or is this the only way you can vent your fustration out aginst someone who did nothing to you??get over it. Like he said everything happens for a reason.Still like reading you posts and im the one who just gave you the thumbs up

Yeah…I got a little carried away in my response (should have seen me during the fight!). I even mentioned to the girlfriend that I shouldn’t even post on this topic because I am waaay too emotional about it and will probably get myself in trouble.

But I just couldn’t hold my tongue. Never can.

…and yeah, Jon didn’t personally snitch me out…but it still hits home with me. Bigtime.

I guess the best way to describe it is if say a fighter was a known racist. What if a certain guy went on record to say he hated blacks or something.

Yeah, he might not have been referring to anyone in specific…but just the thought of that is how he is will make many people dislike him…dare I say hate.

Well, to me…the situation with Jon Jones is the exact same.

Maybe what he said didn’t upset everyone else…but it did me.

• moosebaby02 says:

i understand trust me

• manny says:

You could argue that he shouldve stopped the fight but i think hammil was proteting himself.
    I kinda blame Steve Maz for Jones dq loss. after thorwing about 4 12-6 elbows, steve should have warned him after the 1st one he threw not after 4. Then stand them up and take a point away from him. For me it was too late to warn him and then to dq was just overboard, sum ufc rules suk. I miss PRIDE rules.

• Nick Havok says:

I think the Mazzagatti’s decision was absolutely correct.

Doesn’t matter what happened before the illegal, fight ending strikes. It could have been a one-sided ass whopping (basically what was happening), or it could have been an extremely close fight. But either way, what happened before the illegal elbows doesn’t mean squat.

Just think of the 12-6 elbows like a headstomp…because rule-book wise, they are the exact same.

A fighter could be owning someone on the feet, drop them with a punch and then brainfart and stomp them when they go down. I’ve seen it before…and when this happens and the fight ends because the guy who recieved the stomp can’t continue…HE WINS! Every single time this will happen and the guy who stomped goes home the loser. Anyone who watches MMA on the reg should know this.

So why would a fight ending, illegal elbow be any different?

• Dufresne says:

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: I don’t think anyone is arguing that an illegal elbow that causes the receiving fighter to be unable to continue should be a DQ, I think what most people are trying to say is that the illegal elbow, in this case, was not the cause for the end of the match, and therefore it should be changed to a NC.

But the fight was not previously stopped because of Hamil’s arm though. He didn’t tap. He was still fighting through it.

The fight was stopped because of the illegal elbows.

From that point on, the reason Hamil was unable to continue is incosequential. If he is unable to continue, no matter what the reason, then you have to DQ the other guy for breaking the rules.

But there is no room for interpetation here…it’s a black and white deal.

• Dufresne says:

This is the closest to a definition for what qualifies for disqualification that I can find. The UFC website is not very helpful.

“If a foul incapacitates a fighter, then the match may end in a disqualification if the foul was intentional, or a no contest if unintentional. If a foul causes a fighter to be unable to continue later in the bout, it ends with a technical decision win to the injured fighter if the injured fighter is ahead on points, otherwise it is a technical draw.”

If this is the definition that the UFC uses, that fight should not have ended by DQ as the foul did not cause the fighter to be unable to continue. It should have gone to the judges scorecards with Jones having a point deducted, since the foul was intentional it could not be declared a NC.

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: If a foul incapacitates a fighter, then the match may end in a disqualification if the foul was intentional

That says it all right there. The rest of what you posted about the rule really doesn’t apply to the situation we are discussing.

And it should not have went to the judges scorecard because the foul was intentional.

If it was accidental (which it wasn’t) then this fight would have been a no-contest.

The only time you go to the judges scorecards is when you are deep into a fight. I may be tripping but I think you have to go past 2 rounds in a 3 round fight and past 3 rounds in a 5 round fight. I think I remember them saying something about that in the Varner-Cerrone fight. But they wouldn’t have gone to the cards in the Hamil-Jones fight because it didn’t even go a full round.

• Jak says:

Nick Havok: The fight was stopped because of the illegal elbows.

+1.

• Dufresne says:

You’re missing my point.

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: You’re missing my point.The foul was not what incapacitated Hamill, he said himself that the reason he couldn’t continue was due to a shoulder injury, not because of the elbow strikes.The 12-6 o’clock elbows were the foul, they were intentional, but they were not the reason for him not being unable to continue, therefore they can not be the basis of a disqualification. The fight was ended because Hamill hurt his shoulder (anyone have any word on that diagnosis? Dislocation, sprain, etc…?) not because of the illegal elbows.

No sir, you are missing the point.

The point is that we don’t know. That is why it’s a black and white affair when it comes to the ref’s ruling.

I mean we can’t let refs start playing doctor and determining on the spot what move caused what injury. There would be too much debate and too much controversy. Do you see where I am going with this?

That is why the only decision the ref has to make is if the move was accidental or intentional. That is the only call he makes…after that, the rules are clear on what happens next.

• Dufresne says:

Nick Havok: Who is to say he didn’t suffer the shoulder injury while trying to defend against the illegal blows…or perhaps an illegal elbow hit him directly and that is what caused the injury.

Hamill said that. He said he suffered the shoulder injury from the takedown, not from the elbows.

I do see what you’re saying about the refs not playing doctor by trying to decide what caused a certain injury if it isn’t blatantly obvious and I completely agree.