Alan Belcher: ‘I feel disrespected’, ‘ready to let my fists do the talking’

Just two days shy of his UFC 107 showdown with the always dangerous Wilson Gouveia, Alan “The Talent” Belcher is flat out pissed, and it’s not at his opponent but the current predicament he finds himself in. The predicament being a “Fight of the Night” caliber athlete being snubbed from main card honors.

“I have tons of people coming out to support me, and it kind of helps me get over the fact that I’m not going to be on the main card… it pisses me off,” said Belcher in a recent conversation with MMAFanhouse.com.

“All the fights on the card are amazing, top guys. With [Paul] Buentello vs. [Stefan] Struve, I love Stefan. He’s a good friend of mine and I’ve known him for a while. No offense, the UFC needs to build him. Buentello’s a tough match for him, but nobody knows who Buentello is anymore. I don’t want to hurt the guy’s feelings, but he shouldn’t be on the main card. Not over me. I’m coming off of the UFC 100 “Fight of the Night”. And they didn’t give me that bonus because they thought I won the fight and the judges stole it from me; They gave it to me because I fight “Fight of the Night”.

“I feel disrespected. I feel like…. I want to talk about it. I want to scream it and be mad about it, but I have to let my fists do the talking. It can’t keep happening. I haven’t been on the undercard in a while, and it’s a great card, but I’m ready to be on the poster, you know what I mean.”

• Nick Havok says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 33

• fanoftna33 says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 26 Thumb down 3

• Dufresne says:

Buentello is known to the hardcore fans or the long term fans. He’s a powerful striker, sadly what most people remember him for (myself included) is getting 1 shot KO’d by Arlovski.

Belcher should be pissed off. He has a great record with most of his losses being to respectable opponents (Eastman is respectable in your 4th pro fight). He shows up every single time and is a threat to anyone in the Octagon. I’m hoping that this fight manages to make it to onto the broadcast somehow.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 2

• ndizzle says:

i have a feeling this means if belcher loses he is getting cut

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 2

• fanoftna33: Nobody knows who Buentello is, are you f’n kidding me. Lets see what he says about Buentello after he relocates Stefan Struves head on Saturday night.Maybe if Belcher could acually put together any kind of decent winning streak the ufc would give him main card fights.

Gotta agree with this one. Showcasing a young up and coming HW and a returning former HW title contender to help reestablish an anemic 206+ division takes precendence over an inconsistent 185er who lost a sloppy decision 5 months ago.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 2

• nate says:

lol @ alan belcher. struve vs buentello is on the main card because its going to finish. if belcher wants to get on the live broadcast, it’s simple. Finish the guy. furthermore Dana isn’t disrespecting you! your just whining about more pay! everyone does. get in line or cut to the front by destroying some guys.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 2

• Bad Monkey says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 9

• Nick Havok says:

Bad Monkey: He’s paying the price for that god awful Johnny Cash tattoo on his arm, Dana doesn’t want to subject his PPV buyers with having to see that f**ked up mess!!

It’s better than having a stale-ass Superman tattoo.

Seriously, every third fighter thinks they are the Man of Steel.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 16

• Kuch says:

Is that really Johnny Cash on his arm? I wouldn’t have known unless someone told me. It looks terrible.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 1

• roshambo says:

Belcher feels disrespected? Johnny Cash Feels Disrespected too. I’m not sure what is worse about that tattoo, that he got it in the first place or that someone had so little of a concience that they charged him money to put it on his skin. While his fight at UFC 100 was an entertaining fight, to say that noone knows who Buentello is suggests that everyone knows who he is. I didnt know who he was until UFC 100. I know who Paul Buentello is though. As others have said, if you want to be known and be on main cards, fight more, win more. 5-4 over the last 9 fights doesn’t exactly scream main card material.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

• baldguy80 says:

Me, me, me. Whine, whine, whine. I’ll bet he gave himself the nickname “The Talent”..

Imagine that the UFC *might* have some other exciting fights they’d like to promote…

• Makington says:

I believe he got the Cash tattoo to cover up a different one if memory serves, although I couldn’t tell you right now what it used to be. I’ll remember in 9 hours once I stop caring. I can understand the guy wanting a Cash tattoo, but why not get a lyrics that really stood out to him from one of Cash’s songs? That would actually be cool.

I like how Alan tries to relate his shaggy hair and chest hair to how tough he is, “You see this hair man?! Man I don’t care about my hair cause I’m tough as nails.” I believe he is the only guy who thinks that he’s a top contender. He has always thought a little too highly of himself, especially before his fight with Kendall Grove, where he got demolished. It’s not even like he’s trying to trash talk to throw Wilson off of his gameplan, UFC 100 was half a year ago. I know this site was very critical of the judging but I had the fight for Akiyama, but it was one of those fights where you just didn’t know.

I do think this will be a relatively easy fight for Belcher however. Gouveia has no cardio. Belcher has good cardio. This fight will deliver in fireworks until Wilson tires out at the end of the first, when Belcher will pick up an easy win, which will in turn push his ego even higher. Scary, I know.

• s13 says:

Nothing’s worse than having a huge pen1x ala Brock Lesnar on your chest…dripping with spillage down the front…now THAT is the worst! :)

• qat says:

he never cuts his hair, he is not trying to be cute!
    in that case, who the hell shaves his face while he is asleep? dwarfs? aliens? johnny cash?

• king mah mah says:

Belcher added to the already horrific tattoo of Johnny Cash? Ok whatever.

I think he does deserve to be on the main card though, and I can see why he’s pissed.

• fanoftna33 says:

This guy needs to watch how some of the other talent from the ufc handles prelim fights. Sean Sherk is going to be in the prelims next month and you dont hear him whinning and telling everybody that he as a former champ(something Belcher will never be unless he goes back to toughman fights) and coming off arguably the fotn(I know Serra Hughes got fotn but imo Sherk Edgar was far better) Insted Sherk is focused on what he needs to do to win.

• moosebaby02 says:

fan
    you stole the words right off my keyboard