Diego Sanchez: ‘I’m here to claim what’s mine’

UFC 107Diego Sanchez may be the challenger going into this weekends lightweight championship clash against B.J. Penn at UFC 107, but judging from The Nightmare’s recent statements during the UFC 107 Countdown Show, he wouldn’t know it.

According to Diego, he’s already the champion; This fight is just a formality for the San Diego based fighter.

“From the moment I stepped down to 155, I knew in my heart that I was the best 155 pounder in the world,” said Sanchez during the recent Spike TV broadcast.

“I’m here to claim what’s mine. It’s my time now.”

However, in true Diego Sanchez fashion the subject of who the best in the division truly is was left up in the air after the former Ultimate Fighter seemed to contradict himself with another statement when he said, “I know he’s the best in the world at 155, and if you truly ask B.J. Penn who the best in the world at 155 is besides himself, he’s going to say Diego Sanchez.”

So who’s the best at 155 pounds? We’ll find out on Saturday night, no doubt about that. But don’t let who Diego considers to be the best lightweight in the game confuse you; According to Sanchez, he’s got B.J. all figured out.

“What’s B.J.’s biggest weakness? It’s his conditioning,” said Sanchez. “Now you know you’re fighting a guy with a never ending gas tank.

“I’m going to come forward, I’m going to cut the ring off, and I’m going to scrap. So I have a challenge for you B.J.; Don’t run. Let’s get it.”

yescartwheel

• Nick Havok says:

Earth to Diego…out cardio-ing BJ Pennn isn’t going to work. Did you not see his last fight?

Because trying to wear BJ out was obviously Florian’s gameplan too…and we all saw the epic failure that was.

So please Diego, don’t abondon your usual style and come in with something stupid like trying to hold onto one of BJ’s legs in hopes that this tires him out.

It will be a bad night for you if you do.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 10

• fanoftna33 says:

I think B J will lose this fight but that aside wont it be pretty cool to see how Deigo handles it if he has to tap out or gets koed, after all the crap weve heard for years about how he will be the first undefeated champion or he is the uncrowned champ.

• JMFG says:

Diego is a beast, no doubt, and against just about anyone else in the lightweight division he would almost definitely pull out an impressive victory. But as much as I like him he just doesn’t have the tools to beat Penn.

• sexy-yama says:

YES!……….YES!!………..YES!!!!………………….YES!!!!!!!…………………

Well-Done. Thumb up 23 Thumb down 3

• king mah mah says:

He does contradict himself a bit, but he’s just trying to hype the fight and show respect at the same time.

• edub says:

Ha…”So I have a challenge for you B.J.; Don’t run. Let’s get it.”

BJ by tko rd. 3

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 6

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 5 Thumb down 23

• silenceisgolden says:

Wasn’t the welterweight rightfully his to claim as well :) At least until he kept losing.

• Guthookd says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 18

• xxDejay032xx says:

I think Diego will come out strong in the first round. I don’t think BJ will be ready for it. Diego will be our new champ, Diego 2nd round TKO

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 12

• Bad Monkey says:

All I can say is that the ‘YES’ Cartwheel graphic at the bottom of the article is utterly awesome. Win or lose on Sunday, Diego will never live that sh*t down!!

And Guthooked, you best watch that Sanchez/Guida fight again. I just watched it again last night and Diego did anything but ‘walk’ thru Clay. When the bell rang at the end of the fight Guida was on top and landing punches and it was a split decision!

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think Diego has much of a chance to be honest.
    His best strengths are his conditioning and his wrestling, but guess who else fits that bill? Sean Sherk.
    I would pick Diego over Sherk right now (at least over the Sherk I’ve seen since he got busted for roids), but I don’t see Diego being able to get very many take downs on BJ with his freak flexibility. Even if he does, Penn has world class BJJ that he’s used to finish other really good wrestlers. I don’t think Diego wants to stand with BJ either. His standup is much improved over the years, no doubt in part from training with Oscar De La Hoya a few years ago, but BJ’s boxing is still years ahead of Diego’s.
    The only way I see BJ losing this is if he reverts to “Old BJ” where he relies solely on his incredible talent and decides not to work on cardio.

This is BJ’s fight to lose.

• Makington says:

Guthookd: I was thinking BJ would take the vitory, but after re-watching Sanchez vs. Guida I am convinced that Diego will win.He tore through Guida like nothing.

I do love The Carpenter, but BJ is twice the fighter Clay is. I still believe that Clay would be a much better striker if he cut his hair and could actually see his opponent, but it’s what he’s known for. Diego’s strengths are his takedowns and cardio, but BJ is better at every other thing, hands down imo. Also BJ’s takedown defense is almost unstoppable at LW, so Diego has his work cut out for him. I will never bet against BJ to lose at 155 until the one day comes along that he does (although it might never) just like how I will never bet against Silva at 185.

• roshambo says:

While I get that a fighter is not going to do an interview and be like aww man, I have no chance, that guy is so much better than me, Diego needs to be realistic. While he is a good figher, He is no BJ Penn. Personally I can’t stand BJ and I hope he loses but the reality is, the only person that beats BJ, is BJ. If BJ cares and trains hard and is honeslty prepared for the fight, I don’t see anyone at lightweight beating him. Hopefully Diego has a good game plan and it will be an entertaining fight because Florians strategy against BJ was boring.

• tybo1972 says:

Yeah BJ made a little bitch move with his crying about vaseline gate after getting completely dominated by GSP. There is NO CHANCE that Diego does the same to BJ. Remember he lost to Kos and Fitch at WW who also were dominated by GSP. I really believe BJ was so embarrassed after GSP 2 he will never have an issue with cardio or mental stability again. I say BJ beats Diego up Joe Daddy style and submits him however he chooses in the 3rd.

• fitfreak says:

This fight could go five rounds. How often have BJ and Diego been finished?

• Bad Monkey says:

Hey roshambo, the other that beats BJ is GSP. Every time.

• lightswitch says:

I think if Diego Sanchez fights like how he did with clay and joe he will beat BJ. but it wont be knockout or submission unless BJ’s conditioning is weak but that is a small chance. there is a reason why BJ has the belt he is one of the best if not the best. Diego Sanchez is a phenomenal fighter he dominated alot in his past fights at 170. his two losses are from great fighters. i think dieago will dominate BJ in bjj and standing up. Diego Sanchez is unreal. on saturday it will be an all out battle and a new champion. dieago will clame what is his!

• Bad Monkey: Diego did anything but ‘walk’ thru Clay. When the bell rang at the end of the fight Guida was on top and landing punches and it was a split decision!

Geez, please never apply to be an MMA judge…

• Makington says:

I thought Diego walked through Clay in the first round(10-8), and Clay showed great heart for the rest of the fight, but not enough to even come close to winning the fight. I wouldn’t call what Guida got at the end a takedown, and Diego did more damage from the bottom than Clay did from the top with those horrifying elbows.

I wouldn’t say Diego walked through Clay though. Both were impressive, but imo the fight was totally Diego’s.

• Pajamashark says:

I’ve heard of a “Dirty Sanchez”. This is the first time I’ve seen a “Twirly Sanchez”. :D

• FightFan313 says:

Just another easy with for BJ. He is to smart and has had fights like Diego B4.

Diego. you couldn’t knock out or Submit the 2 dimensional fighter that was (he is throwing kicks now) Joe Daddy…uh ..BJ Dominated Joe Diego.

I love buddy but, you are going to loose this fight.

• moosebaby02 says:

I for one will not let my dislike for Penn to cloud my judgement.
    at 155 the man is the best.
    Makington is right. untill someone beats him at 155 i will never bet aginst him again
    2nd rear naked choke cause its Diego’s favorite move.